Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
A few from my last big trip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
It's not exactly motorcycles, but I still love this picture:

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

rope kid posted:

Holy poo poo this guy's Bonneville adventure power far exceeds my own.

EDIT: Also he has the same tank I'm getting. :whatup:

That's hot, I love the rollchart and rallye computer he's got mounted above the headlight. I wonder what's up with the heat shield n the exhaust header?? Poor man's highway peg?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
My guess is that his silencers are debaffled and the soda cans are make shift spark arrestors the cyclocomputer is awesome, cool setup. Bet it's a real bitch to pick up though.

Edit: His gas filled rear crash pillows are a bit scary, espically with the metal racks right next to them. I wonder how thick those containers are.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 27, 2007

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
^^^^^^^^^
That's awesome, thanks for posting that.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Uthor posted:

I tend to find myself making accelerating motorcycle noises, complete with shifts (at least 10-12 gears, too), when tooling down the highway at a constant speed.

I like making TIE Fighter noises.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Got back from a 9 day trip with Stress Pill and Rope Kid last Saturday. Rode all over Utah with parts of Colorado and AZ mixed in. Just about finished up with the ride report but thought I'd share a few images.

Should have the ride report up Monday or Tuesday.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

100 Years in Iraq posted:

People ask all the time why I live here because Mormons, lol. That's why I live here, and that's not even close to the best scenery to be had.

Shhhh...I saved the better pictures for the trip report ;)

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

UserNotFound posted:

Some pictures from the 250cc race in Indianapolis this weekend. Walked the entire track on the infield side over the course of the race, and saw half of the accidents/retirements.

https://www.alexkubacki.com/Photos/race

Those are some really great shots!

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

UserNotFound posted:

I can't really figure out wtf (and I'm bored at work)

The SUV's turn seems pretty abrupt like he's carrying speed and trying to beat the bike not realizing how fast it's going. From how quick the turn in is and the pace of the pedestrian, I'd say he's going 25mph. There's no apparent slowing of the SUV before the turn, either. And even before I saw the bike hit, I thought it looked abnormal. Queue bike going 4x as fast (100mph?!) smashing into it.

The SUV then doesn't carry a lot of momentum forward after the hit, and stops pretty much in 1 car length. Maybe he wasn't taking the turn fast, and was only going 10mph? That makes 4x faster at 40mph on the bike which seems reasonable?

The car in the background is going much slower that the SUV... but could be for unknown reasons. This confuses me.

On a bike you have to assume that everyone IS going to turn in front of you, especially if they're signaling. For how quick the bike hit after the SUV started turning, he was either going 100mph and the SUV had 'space' but not time, or the SUV driver didn't see him and the speeds were much less egregious.

I've been in a similar crash at about 35mph and the force of the bike in my accident wasn't enough to bring two wheels up of the Volvo S60 that I hit. My bike stayed pretty much where the impact was rather than going 20'+ further away. I'd say the bike was carrying quite a bit of speed 60-80mph is my guess in order for it to rock the car the way it did.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Spiffness posted:

:cry:

Best dumpster diving opportunity ever.

poo poo I just want all the tires in that dumpster.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I like scrubbing off the elephant on my metzelers, cute lean angle thing though I've never seen that on a Z6.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Some pics from an ADV meetup in CO:

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

harm0nic posted:

That is a fantastic picture.

Thanks! It could have been better but trying to convince a bunch of drunk motorcyclists that we need to let the fire die down more so that it dosen't blow out the stars in the photo dosen't go over well on a cool night.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Pinny posted:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Couple of the best pictures from todays races that my brother-in-law took :D

How much is the optional anti-gravity package?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Pinny posted:

Yea, we didn't do too bad really. At least for the ones we got printed out and signed. The guys in the paddock area seemed to get a kick out of signing the photo's you take yourself

Depending on the setup you're using changing your autofocus setting could have a big impact on the number of keepers that you have. If you have a AI Servo setting where you can set a particular autofocus point to have priority when tracking a subject you'll get a good number of keepers. Also a good tripod with a panning head is great for photographing motorsport.

When I shoot the Pike's Peak Hill Climb, I shoot with AI Servo, and a shutter speed of ~160 with an f4-8 apature depending on the available light at 400 ISO. I tend to shoot at 200mm on a crop body.

Looking at the shots you've got it seems like you're under exposing, if you have a tripod with you it's easier to drag the shutter slower without getting blur from the lens shaking.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

There's another recent thread on ADV with 2-3 people riding F800GSes from Canada to Argentina and all three of them, if i'm not mistaken, ate their engines at around Honduras. Pistons all scored up, con rod bearings gone, as if the oil pumps all just shat the bed at the same time. Very odd, even if you don't already have high expectations of modern BMW manufacturing.

There was another instance of this happening around Peru. One of the guys we met on our trip did some rough riding in Bolivia with a guy on an Africa Twin and another on a DR650. After the trip where they all dropped the bikes and rode through rough stuff the guy with the DR went to a local mechanic and got fixed up for about 50 bucks, the Africa Twin guy went to a Honda dealer and got fixed up for about 300 or so, my friend on his F800GS went to the dealership and got hit with a $1700 bill. After buying the bike and riding it to Tierra del Fuego he's more than sick of it and wishes he bought something cheaper with cheaper parts.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

GanjamonII posted:

http://frank766.zenfolio.com/p121002546/slideshow

Dont know if its a repost, but these are beautiful and REALLY make me want to go riding somewhere other than Houston/surrounding areas.

I'm pretty sure these are all from the guy on ADV who shoots one handed with a 3500 dollar camera while riding. I really like #23 but he's got loads of great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Yeah the view at the end makes it look quite a bit like the dobies in Delta, CO south of Grand Junction
http://www.deltacountyindependent.com/news/surface-creek/23159-climate-and-weather.html