Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Kagari Mafia Ringleader and ray tracing EXPERT
Does anyone have that old video, or a link to it, showing a car racing an 80s standard-type motorcycle and a race bike around a track? The car starts off, then the bike, and then the race bike starts way behind both and still wins the race.

Whenever I search for car versus motorcycle videos, it's always one of four that I've seen before: jet/car/bike, boat/F1 car/bike, Lambo/bike, and some other car versus bike video.

The video I am talking about looks older, though, like it was recorded back in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv posted:

Damnit, I wish I could post that Christian Pfeiffer video my roommate took downtown, but it's 160MB, my upload rate sucks, and I'm lazy. He's an amazing rider, and doesn't really adhere to the HELLAFIED STUNTA culture.

I watched a video of him in a warehouse riding an SV650. The best part is listening to the growl of the Suzuki's V-twin and aftermarket exhaust combo echoing indoors.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

miklm posted:

You sure it was an SV650? He used to use Ducati Monsters before BMW sponsored him.

Not saying it wasn't, but you might could mistake a Monster for an SV650 at a casual glance.

Yeah, it's a first-gen yellow SV650. The video resolution is low, but the difference in the rear seats, and the angle of the front exhaust header gives it away. He rides it after he finishes doing some crazy poo poo on a trials bike.

And no stunter will ever touch this woman's skill: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8867862777896510907&q=crazy+bike

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv posted:

OK, here's an insane video. It's a helmet cam on a Supermoto rider's helmet. It really gets the blood flowing.

http://www.xtremereplay.com/Download/Use_Later/Motard_-_Xtreme_Recall_dwnld.wmv

I have wondered about this for a while. What makes motards so fast on lovely surfaces like that? They seem to be on sport tires, just like most sport bikes, but I would be incredibly loving scared to corner that quickly on that poo poo on my ex250. They seem to let the rear wheel slide out all the time without low or high-siding. Is it the light weight, the huge suspension travel, putting the foot down for balance (I can't imagine it does much past 10 mph), or all of the above?

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

94whitesnake posted:

Uh... they're dirt bikes with slick tires. Even with knobbies you slide all over the place. That's how you go fast.

They don't fall because:
1. they are skilled
2. dirt has things called "berms"
3. supermoto dirt is usually hard packed and blue-grooved

Right, I have no doubt they are highly skilled, but at least some of it has to be the bike or people would run all kinds of bikes in those races. There has to be some reason supermotos are quicker on tight courses with lovely pavement than sport bikes or standard dirt bikes, or people wouldn't use them.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

It's a good thing a car wasn't coming the other way. Even if it were completely in its own lane, it still would've clipped your head.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

That's pretty nice. Man, everyone getting new bikes makes me feel left out. :( I need wads of cash sitting around like you guys had.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

My bike has the intake under the seat, but a lot of newer race bikes put the airbox in front of the gas tank so they can use a ram air system. In the case of that GSX-R, it would be those vents on the front fairing, near the headlights.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Needs more jeans and t-shirts. I don't think I've ever seen more than two or three sportbikes in one place at the same time. It's all cruisers here.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

I was hoping he'd turn sometime. :(

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

aaronp posted:

My 2006 ZZR. Winter is approaching, I'm going to miss it. :(

I love those bikes. :)

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

94whitesnake posted:

Every off-road guy is laughing hard at that.

Every rider is laughing hard at that. Give is some gas, you pussy.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

I spot a V-Strom. :)

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

The yellow BMW is an F650GS. I don't really see any strange bikes there, though.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

iroc_dis posted:

I normally ride only with Japanese sportbikes, not by choice, just that my friends happen to have them. This is a new group, more of an older crowd I guess. I was the youngest by 10+ years.

When I see a group of bikes like that, it gives me hope that one day we might see a full range of bikes available here in the states. :unsmith:

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

That's a massive rear sprocket. I thought it was a brake disc at first.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

It would look better with the enormous grey plastic bits removed.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

I love sidecar racing. When they go around tight turns with the passenger leaning all the way out and almost touching the ground, it looks like a lot of fun.

Speaking of sidecars, I saw a shiny new Ural driving around near my parents' neighborhood last weekend. It was awesome.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

I really liked the DRZ guys in that video. One of the ones later was doing some ~4-5 foot diameter turns like it was nothing. I also liked their sound under acceleration.

They are at least a billion times better at riding than I will ever be.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

aventari posted:

Installed rear spools, tank guard and Akrapovic exhaust yesterday and washed and waxed the bike today. So picture time!

Do you know if they have hardbag options for that bike yet?

And include me in the group who would like to see a 1000cc version (or Versys in the U.S.).

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...m/?&R=EPI-94700

Another Fifth Gear car vs. bike challenge, this time with a 1098.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

http://www.tymoshenko.com.ua/eng/export/#wallpapers

Various wallpaper-sized images of Yulia Tymoshenko, hot Ukrainian prime minister, including one of her riding a Hayabusa and another featuring a Hayabusa in the background. I saw a small version of the first one in a Laissez's Fair image thread and searched for a larger one.