Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Neck Tooth posted:

Route 50, near Ely, Nevada, three weeks ago:

Big writeup of my 3900 mile trip soon as grad school craziness lets off a bit.

Beautiful picture. Also, you're living the dream I dreamt of every day since I first saw a proper motorcycle to do it on. :( Unfortunately, I lack the money, and most of all, the western-US location to do such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

orinth posted:

Hahaha what the christ?

That's awesome, although I'm shocked the bike didn't suffer hydrolock. Do motorcycles also have the intake high up under the seat?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Portable591 posted:

My bike has the intake under the seat, but a lot of newer race bikes put the airbox in front of the gas tank so they can use a ram air system. In the case of that GSX-R, it would be those vents on the front fairing, near the headlights.

I see. I'm used to a dirtbike, which has it up under the seat or generally facing away from the tire to keep mud and poo poo from flying in. So yeah, I guess he's still safe like that, which is kinda cool.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I dunno, i submit this for your judgement...

http://www.superstreetbike.com/custombikes/2003_suzuki_hayabusa/index.html

:v:

How... how does it turn? :psyduck:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
You know, something else about the Dubabusa picture is bothering me:

What the hell is that going to? Is that a brake line?

Jesus, if fatty's feet catch on that thing...

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

obso posted:

After looking at that closer, the bike does appear to have a remote mounted turbo just above that. And yes that looks like where the rear brake would have originally been and they just added a coupler to run the line to the back.

I bet she leaves a grease streak for miles the day she falls back into those tires.

I'm calling it, right now - it's probably a stock 'busa brake on the rear that's been attached to the rear drive axle, much like you find in ATV's. It wouldn't surprise me if that's an ATV axle back there.

I bet the Dubabusa stops like slick poo poo on ice coated with motor oil. Those wheels have to weigh about 60 lbs a piece.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I'm glad I wasn't there. I'd be laughing too hard at the guy and you wouldn't hear the construction worker say whatever smart-rear end thing he said. :)

That's loving hilarious, from him smashing the post to lifting the bike incorrectly.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

is that a v-strom? good, i hate those ugly things.
I'm going with Bung on this one, it's the Aprilla

V-Strom

Aprilla

Also, I like the V-Strom. It's not ugly, it's just special. :smith: I'd take one and love it, even if it does look like it has a 3rd chromosome.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

White Van Raceah posted:

I found it. EARLIER IN THIS VERY THREAD!

Oh yeah, that bike is loving awesome. I still don't know what he did to make it look like that, but I would buy that poo poo in a half-second (or at least try to make it if I could find an appropriate CB).

I think those are CBR front tires and he probably had something fabbed up to fit a bigger rear, or else he used a CBR swing-arm and added some mounts for the spring/shock combo on the back.

Frozenphil, can you try to find and post that build? I'm betting it's a bunch of CBR parts tacked on to it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

open24hours posted:

The silver one, which looks very similar to me, is a CB750 with a CBR front end and swingarm. I have no idea what type of CBR they are from though.

Figuring that the older bike might be a bit heavier than a newer one I'd guess a 1000RR or something along those lines. Then again, it might be as light as a 600, so it may use F4i or 600RR parts. It's probably customized either way, as I doubt it would be dead-on the same weight.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

frozenphil posted:

I plan on reproducing his bike once my other projects are finished. It doesn't look to difficult to my eyes.

When you start the build, please document it so I can blatantly steal your work get some inspiration from you.

Edit: Holy poo poo, that swingarm.com site is crazy. Here I was thinking this guy made his own swingarm, and yet you can buy one that's perfectly modified for the bike directly from them. That's an awesome business.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 5, 2008

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Silver posted:

The guy with his head stuck in a truck was in Tulsa, doing 120+ on 169 and smacked into the back of the truck. No one really knows why. In the emails it says "WEAR UR HELMET, HE LIVED" but actually, he didn't live. This was also a week after another guy died running into a truck. Police crackdown on sportbikes went into hyper mode for a bit.

I'm going with one of two reasons why he hit the back of that truck -

1) Suicide.
2) He was a mentally inept rider that shouldn't have been riding anything more complex than a tricycle.

For the sake of his honor and intelligence I'd like to say 1, but I'm afraid it's most likely 2.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sepist posted:

Definitely not suicide, no one wear their back protector on a suicide run :v:

e: is that even a back protector?

I don't know, I think it's a bag. I could be wrong though.

Maybe he was carrying pictures of the girlfriend that dumped him, and caused him to do this. :smith:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

pr0zac posted:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fPfTtP66nO4

"Yeah I wrecked my last bike, ended up in the hospital, lost my left arm, fit up a prosthetic attachment to my new supermoto and ride around doing wheelies, why?"

I don't know what's cooler - that guy with the prosthetic arm or the fact that I learned about Rekluse Clutches and what they do.

Now I understand how those old guys with one arm ride their Harleys. Ever since I saw a guy on the highway riding around it's been bugging me as to how he did it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

HNasty posted:

Video of me riding my R6 on a damp semi wet track in beginner group :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz8uirh7Vbw

That's an awesome video, although the wind noise is annoying as gently caress.

Also I like the handlebar view - countersteering is still a foreign concept to me and watching you ride... actually didn't make it better at all. :( I can barely see the handlebars move, it just looks like the bike flicks from side to side without any steering effort.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've been into photography for a while, but I lost about the last years worth of work in a hard drive crash (I know, I know). I used the whole catastrophe as a chance to upgrade and start shooting more, so I bought a DSLR and that's the first photo I've taken with it.

Do you know of a good place to learn how to use an DSLR properly? I tried using my mom's Digital Rebel XT and that thing frustrates the ever living gently caress out of me. I couldn't try to get a picture as good as that - I just especially suck at night shots.

I just need to know about what tools to use where on the camera. Every time I try tooling with aperture or exposure I end up getting garbly messes.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 23, 2008

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

rope kid posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress I'm looking at here.

I'm going with a generic Harley in the front, a sidecar, and the rear end of a Hurst to bring it all together, while it all sits on a trailer.

...actually I lied I just read the description I can't tell what the gently caress is going on with that picture.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

rope kid posted:

I parked at my local favorite eatery and came out to find this.

:bravo:

What I would like to think is that a short guy/girl was driving the H2 (to compensate for something possibly) and that they couldn't see over the dashboard to read "compact" written in the parking space. Therefore, even if they are stupid for driving an H2, they just made a mistake.

What probably happened is that they read it, didn't care, and decided to park there anyway. :(

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sloppy posted:

For sale near me, too.

Is that a TR200? I can't get used to the fat tires they stick on the rears of those bikes. They always look really weird to me.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Turtle Parlor's TT and my CB on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

It was a really nice day, although we kept getting stuck behind tourists going 30 mph when the speed limit was 45. I hate tourists.

Edit: Before you yell at me, yes I know my helmet's not supposed to be like that but I was trying to get a picture as fast as possible so we could get back on and beat out the slow cars coming up behind us.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

Also, here is a man who knows how to store a motorcycle.

I'm a sissy though, so I put down tarp.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

TheFonz posted:

Sidestand down at the stoplight. Classy.

I've never seen a sidestand that keeps a bike that upright. :psyduck: I'd be terrified of parking that thing on an incline.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder how much protection that tu-tu gives in a low-side.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
While we're still talking about the "slow car" video, the thing that pisses me off the most about that is watching those people at the bus stop see this dude get flung off his bike, and not loving one of them seems to care. The one guy in the white shirt walking closest to him just keeps his hands in his pockets and turns around to pace away. Christ.

This reminds me of that time in high-school there was an accident between two cars at an intersection, and five cars with other students in them drove right on by the accident after witnessing it. Not one of them cared to stop, they just drove around the accident and drove off to school. I was the first loving guy to stop and check to see if they were alright.

What the gently caress is with people?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ail posted:

They might not have an hour to spare waiting around for cops and filling out reports. It's a whole loving lot easier not to get involved these days.

If I ever consider an hour of my time to be more important than someone else's life, I would have some very hosed up priorities.

I'm hoping that all the people who watch accidents happen and ignore them have the favor returned to them or someone close to them. If it takes their wife/husband/children/family dying from sheer ignorance from other people to teach them the lesson, so be it.

That said, BEEFY BIKE:

I want to make my Nighthawk look like that, unless I find another bike first. :)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

cheese eats mouse posted:

It actually goes to social psychology. Because a group of strangers all witnessed the same event, they all assume that someone will help the person in need. Also because it is outside a norm to witness such event they will carry on with what they know, which is walking down the street and ignoring. You're quite lucky if you get hit by a car and then immediately someone stops to help as they think differently from the group. Most people just don't get involved because they think someone else will.

I remember reading that in a psychology class, they glanced over it but the thing actually has a name. Essentially as you said the group assumes that someone else will do something, and although I know it's a part of people's psychological "wiring", it's still terribly disgusting and horrible of them to just walk by.

Still, to me there's no excuse for this behavior. I feel it's the same thing as our brains being wired to reproduce - psychologically, I want to have sex with lots of attractive girls. Doesn't mean it's socially responsible though, especially because those girls would be having my babies and there's no feasible way for me to assist in bringing the kids up. Just because you want to doesn't mean you should. And yes, I understand that there are guys out there who specifically do that. They too need to be dragged behind a truck.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Two, get your story straight, SHE WAS WEARING loving BOOTS. What happened is the truck that hit her essentially did a burn out on her boot, THROUGH THE BOOTS.

I'm interested in hearing about how the gently caress she got in a tangle with an 18-wheeler and ended up doing okay.

Also thanks Optimus Matrix for posting that loving poo poo without warning us.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
9/11 never forget.

We got ground zero,

The towers,

flames all over the place,

fire truck design (and obligatory theme-centric license plate),

and yeah, the eagle is crying.

Long story short, Turtle Parlor and I were taking a trip up to Chimney Rock and were greeted by this bike. I would hate to know how much that cost in air brushing.

Oh and something awesome: 1941 BMW R-bike with 4-speed shifter. That thing was loving cool.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I'm starting a Honda collection.

Except I don't collect the old ones, or the truly unique ones, or the race bikes. I collect the fatties.

By the way, the 5th Gen VFR is a loving hoot to ride. I did 4 hours on it yesterday bringing it back from SC, and it's definitely suited for taking long rides. The only complaints I have are that the engine runs ridiculously loving hot and it makes 95 degree weather really un-fun, and that it's pretty unhappy until it gets up to about 160 degrees. Once past that it's a shitload of fun.

Now to just find a Hindle exhaust and open up the V-4. :fap:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ClockworkZero posted:

Nice, I haven't seen a yellow one before! I haven't heard a Hindle pipe yet that I liked the sound of, but then I've only heard them on inline 4 600s and one R1. I've got a Micron on my 750 and it sounds super sweet.

For some weird reason Honda decided every VFR it imported to the US in 2000 would be yellow. I don't know nor understand why but since there aren't many yellow bikes out there it definitely attracts it's fair share of the attention.

I found a preview of the Hindle exhaust on the VFR and it sounds great to me. The VFR's V-4 kind of has a distinctive sound so everyone claims that there "isn't a bad pipe for the VFR". I know I've heard some really terrible sounding 6th gen pipes, but for some odd reason it seems that you can't go terribly wrong with the 5th.

Here's a Two Brothers Exhaust, which I love but you I can't find on the market anymore. Weird. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRmGJNdFwxE

I know the only pipe company I want to stay away from is D&D because their VFR pipes supposedly are so loud they wake the dead, and I don't want to piss of the neighbors or make my ears bleed on a long ride.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

God I wish my DRZ had more power. :(

Strap on a turbo. :haw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwL8O-ZyYJs

That guy seems to have no problems with wheelies.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
gently caress LINKED BRAKES

Seriously I had to tear the bike down to THIS to flush/bleed the loving rear/front/mid/who-knows-which-caliper brakes on the VFR.

In order to properly bleed the rear brakes, you need to:
1) Remove the rear cowling
2) Remove the gas tank
3) Remove the exhaust (or slide it out of the way like I did)
4) Remove the wheel
5) Remove any dignity you may have because Soichiro's monster will eat whatever you have left

This is the poo poo I have to go through to bleed this behemoth of a loving brake system:

See this front caliper? I poo poo you not, it has two loving bleed valves (one for the front brake, one for the rear) and a loving master cylinder mounted on it. So when you hit the rear brake the center piston is activated which pinches the front brake, which then pushes the master cylinder mounted to the caliper and then pushes the center cylinder of the rear caliper. It's like Rube Goldberg had a nightmare about brake fluid and Honda tried to re-create it in person on the VFR.

gently caress you front caliper.

So then after you bleed that and the other front brake you need to move to this "PCV" valve mounted in the center of the bike, under the gas tank. Please note that the PCV valve has nothing to do with crankcase ventilation and I'm still at a lack of words why Honda called it that.

This thing is a bitch to get a wrench to and for some odd reason refused to bleed any fluid. Every other valve on this bike bled like a stuck pig which made this easy albeit frustrating to get to. Well I learned why it wasn't bleeding after I read that you have to tilt the front caliper with the master cylinder down to a 15 degree angle and hold it there while bleeding the PCV valve. I got a tiny bit of fluid out but that was about it.

At this point I'm feeling like I bought the bike and then the physical manifestation of all of Honda's brake engineers stepped up behind me and started fondling my balls saying stuff like "Oh you're my bad little boy" while I'm muttering "Oh Honda engineering-sempai!" and I'm feeling really uncomfortable while doing this because I know it's wrong but I'm going though the steps anyway in some vain hope that things will work out. Once I get my brake pads on Monday I know this fucker's going to have more air in it than Rush Limbaugh's head and I'll have no linked brakes to save my sorry rear end.

So finally you move on to the rear caliper which is stuck in a position that's pretty much impossible to get to while on the bike itself:

The only reason you can actually see the rear caliper right now is because I have the rear sprocket off as I had to pull the chain which was old and on it's last links.

I had to pull it off of the bike and hang it from the body with a coat-hanger like the horrible abortion of a brake system it is, then bleed it from there. Thankfully it went pretty quickly, but I'm still don't understand how Honda thinks you're supposed to bleed the caliper while it's still on the bike. It looks practically impossible to me.

That looks nothing like my bike does, Honda. Thanks.

Anyways after you finish all that bullshit you're pretty much done except for having to assemble the bike all over again. I know the linked brakes on this thing work exceptionally well because lots of magazines and racers like Lee Parks write about how linked brakes aren't as good at modulating brakes as a skilled rider is, but they always have a footnote at the bottom that says something like "Except the VFR800FI". I'm certain these things will save my rear end one day but honestly they're such a bitch to work on, and even now I'm unsure if there's air in the system. In a perverse way I think I'd rather have standard unlinked brakes back.

Also note to self: If previous owner ever says they did any preventative maintenance, it's utter bullshit.

A whole chain should not be able to bend like that.

That poor air filter looks like it hasn't been changed in the life of the bike, so I'm unfortunately stuck trying to source a new one for it. :sigh: The quotes are coming in around $60 for a K&N and about the same for a paper filter, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Is that a K&N? If so, clean it, reoil it, and you're good to go.

I don't think it is an K&N because it has "Honda" plastered all over it and not one mentioning of K&N. Reference manuals state the stock filter isn't washable/reusable, but this looks too much like a K&N already. I'm actually half tempted to wash it and see what it looks like.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I was walking to work the other day and saw this thing parked on the street:

"When Jesus heard this, he said to him, 'You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" Luke 18:22

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

Gotta get to Rocky Horror somehow

Frank N. Furter wouldn't ride an FJR though. Maybe a CBX or something

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Yerok posted:

I want a loving oil boiler so bad. I'm tired of existing so I've decided that I want to build a 7/11 SACS GSXR in the next few years.

Huh, I learned a little about motorcycle history today - I had no idea that most of the old Japanese sportbikes were air-cooled up until 1991-1992. I always thought that the CBR/ZX-R/GSXR marks were water-cooled for maximum power output, while their less sporty brethren retained the air-cooled motors. Like the Katana, for instance.

I mean in that time with the technology the way it was, I bet there was an honest trade-off in the weight gain from going water-cooled versus the compression/power increase that would be possible from using it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

The cbr was always water cooled...? As was the zx-r. It was only the gixxers that persisted with oil cooling.

Glad to see my reading comprehension skills are failing in old age. Ugh, I swear I read that the CBR600 was air-cooled until the F2 model but found that nope, I was completely wrong on that.

But water-cooling isn't all it's cracked up to be anyways, have a 110HP air-cooled 2-cylinder to get this thread back on track as an apology!

BMW must have some serious as hell security patrols around their grounds at night, because it seems like utter madness to me to leave their bikes sitting outside their corporate HQ at all times.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

:airquote: "air-cooled" :airquote:

That radiator-looking thing with an oil line running into it is, uh, uh, look over there!

Still counts. :colbert: I mean water-cooled bikes are also cooled by air, right? But this one doesn't have water, and motorcycle magazines only seem to talk about water-cooled or air-cooled bikes, ergo this is an air-cooled machine. Check-mate, my logic is flawless, etc. etc.

Alright, fine, dick, have an actual air-cooled super single, the Yamaha SRX600. I had no idea these existed until I walked by one at work. I thought it was a weird knock-off Korean/Chinese bike until I saw the Yamaha logo on it. It's actually amazingly compact, I was really blown away to see how thin it was compared to the GSX-R sitting next to it. The story I read is that these were brought to America as simple, cheap easy motorcycles but apparently nobody in the US bought them! I'm actually surprised Yamaha ever brought the design to the US, in honesty.

In a weird way I want to try riding one of these. With a wet weight at about 374 lbs and a large super-single I bet it could be fun. And the oil cooler is pathetically small and couldn't cool the bike, so there.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Somewhat related. I'm amazed anyone would put this much effort and craftsmanship into something this terrible. It's like trying to turn hate-crime into a performance art.

I have to admit, I'm torn on this. I'm looking at this as more of an augment that could allow a person missing a leg or with another sort of physical handicap to enjoy riding.

That being said, on the other side the article was stating crap about safety from lowsides which is laughable considering that the article itself admits the thing will fall over without the rider actively stabilizing it. While it might decrease the likelihood of a lowside by giving you twice the tire, looks to me like it'll still eat poo poo if you run through a diesel spill.

It's like the BRP Spyder - if you ride it because you have a medical issue or just live the look, god bless ya and have fun. If you ride it because it's "safer" you're a nutcase and just need to learn how to properly ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

You're riding the wrong bikes. I'm not being facetious, you actually are riding the wrong bikes. I'm not saying everyone everywhere should just wheelie around on busas but most of the people who say they don't care about going fast have never actually tried it to see how fun it is.

You mean riding the wrong bike for going fast. I know that it's a hell of a rush to open the throttle on some big nasty superbike, sure, but sometimes people enjoy things like "riding down a road" or "fresh air" or "seeing things".

If the best pleasure of motorcycling is only the sensation of speed, then how on earth do the cruiser, touring, off-road and trials motorcycle markets exist? How the gently caress can Harley-Davidson sell so many 883 Sportsters and full bagger setups?

Don't get me wrong, man, I fully plan on going to a track day as well, when I return home and can get my lard-ridden rear end on some stupid huge naked twin or triple. I like that sensation of speed, but I can also respect the fact that some guys/gals just like riding for the hell of it, and lord knows I can't fault them for that.

Edit: read the response below - fair enough, I get where you're coming from now. Gonna stop making GBS threads up the picture thread now, my bad.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 17, 2014