Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
RACING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Looks like a Dnepr to me.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
:science:

I've done eight tire changes with this rig. Paid for itself, the Mojolever and other supplies. Woohoo!

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Gullous posted:

Is that what you had buried in your garage during my "learning experience"?

How do you balance the wheels?

Yes, that's what was buried in my garage.

I balance the wheels just like mutt2jeff said: jack stands and the axle.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
S/TEP class in Hood River, Oregon. Shittons of fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Ola posted:

Ever wondered how a car tire really behaves on a bike? A guy on a Norwegian bike forum did these great vids of the tire at speed.

Bike tire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfrFch-VqE

Car tire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwSSXHanpv0

Good videos but nothing really surprising there. Folks tend to go to the "dark side" of car tires on big cruisers that don't lean much, so you don't have to worry about running out of contact patch with the square tire profile.

That said I bet steering effort goes up considerably. My friend has one on his Vulcan 2000 since it ate rear tires about every 2500 or 3000 miles and he rides quite a bit.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Linedance posted:

probably on the center stand. If the rear tire is even a little bit on the ground it'll go. Scooter center stands are designed for ease of use and basically take no effort to move off the stand.
Actually if memory serves, they're designed to be able to be driven away from parked on-stand.

I saw some guy do this on a big BMW motorcycle before. He rocked back so the rear tire touched the ground, dumped the clutch and took off. :psyduck:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Ola posted:

RRRRAAAAGH I want this bike in these colors so much I feel like ripping my clothes off and running through the city, smashing things and jumping on cars.

GSX 1400124 Nm / 91 ft/lbs of torque

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Spring on the Palouse is the best.

Large here.

Skier fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 26, 2009

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
And another "don't dream it's over" from the 80s. You remember the 80s, right?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Phat_Albert posted:

:whatup:

I would have zero qualms about punching the owner in the mouth.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Support trucks when racing: perfectly fine.

Support rigs when riding with buddies, even through nasty areas: weak sauce.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
There is zero sense of adventure when, at any point, you can say "gently caress it, I'm tired, my bike is broken so I'm just gonna grab a cold one and wait for others to help me."

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

redscare posted:

I'd get a Ural!

:golfclap:

ADVRider has a "Texas to Tuktoyaktuk" thread in the Hacks section. It singlehandedly solidified my stance that a Scrambler with an aftermarket tub is the way to go. Their report was seriously: "day one, break down. Day three, break down. Day something something: front brake pads haven't been present for hundreds of miles and the front brake master cylinder has been leaking on my hands."

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Spring wreaking havoc in said Ural trip.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Unlike the previous bits of snow, this part had ice under it. :doh: Tipped over on the right side, get up just in time to watch my buddy's KLR fall over on him. Perhaps we should wait another couple weeks before taking this road again. :downs:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Meh.

Try a haiku.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Isle of Man.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Our very own stigtrap in Advanced Rider Training.

Not pictured: the scraped pegs and centerstand.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

frozenphil posted:

I watched an AMA Superbike race a few years ago next to a dude who rode his Goldwing to the race. He's a paraplegic and his Goldwing had outriggers that deployed when he got below a certain speed. It was loving inspiring watching him get on that big beast from his wheelchair and then stowing the wheelchair on the back.

If that dude didn't need a trike, no one does.

An easy $20,000 to $40,000 into a special Goldwing setup or $10,000 into a trike. Sometimes ya just gotta run what you can afford.

Just don't make it a trike.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Oh you crazy Alaskans.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

needknees posted:

More video of Teach loving killing an 800gs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRvVLA0KzM

Hey, a stunting video that's actually entertaining!

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Someone is jealous they don't have their own line of CUSTOM CHROME grills.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Phat_Albert posted:

Hello new three wheel megathread first post.

Speaking of, here's what must be a KLR owner's take on the Ural 2WD system:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Nomex posted:

How exactly do you not burn your leg every time you ride it?

You would be surprised how effective those heat shields are at shielding you from heat.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

:saddowns:

Landscape photo I pulled over to take didn't even turn out that well.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
This seems like a good time to trot this out again:

Renowned motorcycle and hack safety expert David Hough made this post on a different board:

quote:

Dyed-in-the-wool motorcyclists who have never expanded their knowledge beyond two wheels often approach the idea of a three-wheeler as if it would take all the fun out of riding. That may be because so many equate fun with aggressive cornering--with the bike leaned over to adrenaline-pumping traction limits. A big part of the reality is that most of the time, even on a bike, we're riding more-or-less straight roads.

More to the point, there are things in life that are "fun" other than leaning around corners. IMHO, drifting a rig or trike around a corner is just as much fun, expecially if the vehicle gives me more confidence to poke at the envelope without unreasonable risks. Hacking or triking may be more "fun" than if I were riding aggressively but constantly concerned about punching through the narrower limits and having to deal with the huge aftermath of a little error. I took up sidecars years ago, well before my body began to announce that it wasn't going to put up with the same old stuff anymore. So, I've enjoyed the fun of hacking not because I was forced to give up bikes, but because hacks are tremendously enjoyable. I still own and ride a two wheeler in addition to the sidecar rig and Spyder.

It's not quite that simple, of course. Those of us who are pushing up into our old age are finding our leg strength, sense of balance, vision, etc. are less reliable. We know the odds all too well, and we've seen too many hazards to have continuing confidence that we can beat the odds again today on a bike. Maybe we've had a nasty crash or two, and were shocked at the pain and expense. Those who just continue riding the same bike, say a K12LT or R1200RS, may find it easier and easier to find excuses to NOT take the ride today.

A sidecar outfit or trike adds a huge measure of confidence that we can beat the odds, not just of having a collision, but of not dropping the bike in the parking lot in front of our friends, or being passed because we're seen as being too cautious. One of the great advantages of belonging to the BMW fraternaty is that BMW riders tend to have the maturity to understand that trikes and rigs are a legitimate part of motorcycling, even if anyone chooses to not get into a three-wheeler. I don't look down my nose at riders who simply give up motorcycling when the odds seem too high, or the fun seems too low. I do look down my nose at people who run down any type of vehicle without knowing anything about them.

Yes, a three-wheeler takes more skill to drive than a bike, and a sidecar rig takes even more skill because it's not symmetrical. Imagine all the knowledge and skill you absorbed to learn how to ride a two-wheeler proficiently, and double that for a three-wheeler.

I don't see that as a negative. I see it as a positive that I have skills and knowledge in addition to that required for two wheelers.

Of all the folks I've talked to that have tried a sidecar rig for more than an hour end up getting one. Then their solo bikes sit dejected in the garage for most of the season.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

nsaP posted:

He makes good points yes, but then goes on to back up what I said.

What's even worse is that as a bike rider he should know better. In a collision I don't know how you're any safer on a trike than a motorcycle. If you drop it in the lot, well, sorry your balance is going with your age. If you're being passed by cars and you're on a motorcycle you're doing it wrong.

The last half is just /BMW BMW BMW We're true riders, we don't look down our nose at people, except when we do./

For reference what I first said was:

Of course that wouldn't really apply to someone making a 2->3 wheel transition, but then the guy went on to say he feels like the three wheeler is less risky and that seems wrong to me.

I think reduced collision chances are due to the increased visibility of a sidecar rig. Less right-of-way violations because it's wider. However there are no studies I am aware of that show this, since three wheels are such a tiny part of the riding population.

His point about sidecars being less risky when you push them is a little slip from reduced traction usually ends with a solo bike sliding down the road, but a three wheeler slides and continues on.

Stepping back a bit, I've found explaining three wheelers to solo motorcyclists is a bit like explaining motorcycling to non-motorcyclists. A vast majority of the time, they just don't "get it" until they try. Then it's all smiles and happiness.

Three wheels may not be everyone's thing, but they have a bad rap from folks who just dismiss them for a variety of reasons. Hough's rebuttal to that is well thought out.

If folks would like to continue talking about this, come on over to the three wheel megathread.

Content:

Skier fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 17, 2011

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

hayden. posted:

Thanks for taking a neat video and making it depressing you prick (just kidding sorta)

content

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

It would be awesome to have an enclosed sidecar like this on an motorcycle that worked like a pop-up camper

Sorry I'm late.

Also:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Bucephalus posted:

^gently caress that guy. I'm the tightwaddest white-trash SOB you'll ever find, and even I know better than that. You can afford a Blackbird, but you're too cheap to maintain it properly?!?

The dude is a motorcycle courier, I believe. His profit margin is likely razor-thin and he's found ways to help it while staying in his acceptable risk threshold.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Phat_Albert posted:

I think myself and renraku are the only people in ca who don't absolutely hate the spyders. I think they look like they might be fun to ride or at least a complement to another bike

I don't hate 'em, but they have the same issue as regular trikes: all the downsides of three wheels and only one of the upsides.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Z3n posted:

I love the fact that the Americans on this forum are the least comprehensible ones.

Kaptainballistik, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

hayden. posted:

Very tempting to do the Portland Alley Sweeper Urban Enduro this year.

https://vimeo.com/40034348

Not sure my ZX-14 is the best choice, though. It's heavy, slick tires, I'd probably drop it, and people often report getting tire punctures and I don't really want to fork over hundreds of dollars to replace a tire or broken plastics. 4/20, trade me your 250 for my 14 that weekend! I'll bring it back in fewer than three pieces.

Looks like my Ruckus just made itself worthwhile again.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Nifty bikes at the Portland Alley Sweeper:

Elite 80?

Portland beard.jpg:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

So jealous. I almost took the day off but decided to save it for spring scoot a couple of weekends later. How was the event?

Event was fun. Plenty of great bikes to see, good people to talk to and folks riding like dongs to shake your head at. Wish we showed up early enough to get in on the pancake feed action but whatever.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

:stare:

Dat distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Previous page got my 599-sense tingling.

My '04 sounds like garbage with a Micron slip-on, I went back to the stock exhaust even though it's a hojillion pounds.

Recently got full cartridge internal forks and with the Ohlins shock it's :five: . Got back yesterday from a week long trip through some of the best roads of Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana where I could finally get the forks through their paces. Even got to hit up Rattlesnake Grade where my poor-quality avatar photo was taken.