Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Looks just like a classic whiskey throttle to me. Pretty easy to have happen when you're not very experienced on dirt. Dirt is so much harder than it looks it's not even funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I know it doesn't come across as all internet tough guy, but why not just pull over and let the tailgater pass you? That way you don't provoke some confrontation and they can go annoy someone else.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You need to add:

At a significant profit to that as well.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

nsaP posted:

It does a good job of showing their target market, right? Because anyone who follows the racing knows that Ducati Corse just went to a traditional framed Desmo, making the release of this bike a bit of a lol. I could write good ad lines for it.

"Have a front end tuck just like Rossi!"

Don't firebomb L.A., just wait for Cali to break off, then we can all go celebrate on the beaches of the Arizona Bay (make sure you have your papers).

Anyone that follows racing also knows that the frames for GP bikes are so different than frames for superbikes it's really not comparable. Supposedly the testing done of the Panigale were very favorable for racing. I think it's a bit disappointing that they're not homologating the bike for racing next year. The forces involved in GP bikes because of the tires and brakes are so different than what a Panigale sees there is really no evidence that this frame design does not have merit.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

It seems like a lot of riders who get serious about racing end up stopping street riding because of that exact reason.

The vast majority of high level racers have been racing far before they could get a license.

The club level racers stop riding on the street because they are wasting every dime they have on racing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

Don't mind me, just takin a mid-corner break and using your fairing as a pillow.

When a rider is inside of you it's sorta your own fault. The guy on the inside ran a bit wide maybe, but the on board rider should have probably backed off. If he had just given up the position it appeared that he could have dove back on the inside instead of running wide. Whatever it's racing, nobody crashed so who cares.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Sir Cornelius posted:

Notice the hosed up 60's riding style. My back hurts just watching Mike-The-Bike.

Tucking behind a windscreen?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'm a bit late to the discussion but taking a helmet off is a-ok if the person is having issues breathing. Remember ABCs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Anything you can do for a punctured lung before paramedics arrive?

In theory yes - in practice unless you're way way far away from help its not necessary. If you're talking an open punctured lung you could try to occlude the wound with any sort of airtight material - think lunch baggie. But its probably not necessary because even though a punctured lung is bad its not going to kill you.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Any sort of first aid kit is probably won't help in a life threatening position. I do think there is some merit in knowing how to help someone get an open airway and putting in an oral airway. Beyond that I could see having a CPR mask to give rescue breaths might help as well. If you're doing CPR on someone in a traumatic accident they're dead anyway (the vast majority of the time) so have fun w/ that. If your buddy is going blue and not breathing on the side of the road waiting for an aid car is simply going to be picking up a corpse if you don't act. Inserting an oral airway and doing a head tilt / chin lift can mean the difference between life and death in certain accidents.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

I'd wager that at least 75% of all motorcycle accidents occur within cell range and within reasonable time of emergency service. So at least 75% of all accidents shouldn't require fake roadside doctors.

I would rather have people do nothing and call professionals.

So you'd rather have a 1 in 4 chance of having a person die rather than doing something simple like taking their helmet off and opening their airway?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

That really isn't true. A lay person can do simple things like make sure the person's airway is clear. You can have all sorts of accidents where if all you do is make sure the person has a chance to breath you will save their life.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Boru posted:

Someone is selling this 1972 Yamaha R5 near where I live (http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/3003086217.html). My brother may have some spare parts from his 240sx sitting around and I was (half seriously) thinking about trying to strike a deal. It'd be a starter bike, but as I'm not honestly expecting to get the thing, no biggie. :v:

I own an R5 - that's actually a pretty decent deal for the bike. I'd encourage you to make a cash only offer though. People don't want car parts in trade.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

invision posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOBgvHmqf4

Harley.mpeg

This is a very funny video

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Boru posted:

Someone is selling this Buell on CL (http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcd/3001266089.html). Uh. So what's going on with the front fairing?

:shrug:

As a sidenote this isn't within my price/experience range: I was just confounded by the fairing.

Function over form - unfortunately the form is hideous.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

HNasty posted:

Since we've been on the topic of HST lately I'll chime in. I find him tolerable I don't think he was really much into riding but he was at least funny and occasionally interesting if not 100% honest all the time. I'm ok with weird.

It's douches like this that annoy me http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/06/an-open-letter-to-every-person-i-meet-who-finds-out-i-ride-a-motorcycle/ the misplaced snark and obvious sense of superiority is lame, it just makes me think of a nerd who got a bike and now imagines himself to be something else. This isn't limited to bikes there are people in all walks who do this, luckily motorcycling has a way of washing a lot of these people out, but look out if one manages to hang on for a while, the self righteousness is visible from space. The Wes Silers of the world can gently caress off, this forced biker badass stuff is dumb.

This is a really long winded humblebrag.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I'm fairly certain that my 40 year old scrambler could handle that dirt path better than his modern gixxah.

That's quite a shocking and controversial opinion.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

This guy's channel kinda owns.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

This is the image I meant to post:

I like how people like to put on those horrible chinese shocks because they are gold and have reservoirs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I don't know if the dude on the inside was going to be able to hold his line at that speed. The outside dude seemed to be chopping excessively across the track. I don't, I think it's probably the inside dudes fault. Don't need to be all crazy on just a track day.

What? Do you have brain damage?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I don't really know anything about riding

Fixed for you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Can you contribute something of substance or are you just going to be a douche? What was your opinion of the incident.

My contribution of substance is asking if you have brain damage because that is the only reason you could come to the conclusion that the guy that got rammed was somehow at fault.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

n8r's literally an unmedicated mental patient so I don't think you're going to get much constructive feedback out of him. See: his response to my post.

When your post begins with:

quote:

I don't really know anything about riding on a track

Perhaps you should reconsider whether your post has any value or merit?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Spiffness posted:

the guy who got rammed was on the racing line for that corner, he's not 'swoooping over', he's following the line. The guy up the inside is WAY in the wrong, and there is little to no chance he'd have made the corner in the first place.

As someone who has 500 miles of riding experience in a 40 year old 17hp shitbox I'm pretty sure that Sagebrush is right and you're wrong.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

raffie posted:

Up-the-inside dude is one of my biggest fears when on track. It looked like he was on course to end up in that white tirewall/brickwall/fence? or perhaps to do a George of the Jungle into that tree.

What the hell are trees doing at trackside anyway??

The video said it was group II - which is the intermediate group basically. Pretty much all of the horrible crashing happens in group II. Beginners are generally riding slow enough and more in control. The racer/advanced group usually has enough skill and experience to not do poo poo like that.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If someone who clearly has no clue about track riding wants to post their dumbass opinion without educating themselves in the least about how it works I see no problem with calling a spade a spade.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I was kind of on the fence about it :confused:

In any case, the inside dude was off the line and the outside dude came down on the apex on the optimal line. If you see anything other than a couple dudes that both made mistakes but the inside dude making the biggest one, you're brain damaged.

Did you not read spiffness saying the guy who got hit was on line? I'm pretty sure spifness has actually ridden at this track. It's also pretty obvious he's on line because the guy taking the video is also on the same line. How is being on the racing line and getting nailed by a guy blowing the corner the fault of the guy on line? That'd be like blaming Lorenzo for getting nailed by Bautista at the Sausagering two weeks ago.

Now I feel like I'm just getting trolled...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Once a goon, always a goon.

I'm thinking I might be getting a motolanna seat for my 400F
I originally wanted my friend to get one for his XS650 but now...

The original 400F seat is probably one of the most interesting/distinctive parts of the 400F design. I'd stick w/ original personally.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Holy poo poo do you guys (well, mostly n8r, but boy wonder hnasty is close behind) get bent of shape easily.

:chillpill:

You're the one resorting to personal insults. I'm just pointing out that you and flexing front wing are morons posting about something you're clearly completely clueless about.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

One of the most stock early gen gixxers on the planet.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

HNasty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZw2J9zzymM

If I had $100K to spare there is nothing else I would rather spend my money on. This is the true "ferrari" of the motorcycling world. Sure there are fast bikes out there but I don't think anything else comes close to being a Super Superbike. NCR own and totally underrated because they don't have the styling of some other builders. A 300LB Hypermotard is a stunning achievement.

I'd rather have a lightly used Desmo

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

Got to agree there, while I appreciate the attention to detail NCR have put in, for that amount of money there are a bunch of expensive, exclusive and otherwise special bikes I could buy.

EDIT: In a sense NCR are no different to the OCC or similar custom houses, except here the focus is sport bikes. Either case it's about people with a lot of money to burn getting a bike for the prestige. I can still appreciate that point of view, owning a bike that is uncompromisingly perfect and unique, in every way your vision of what a bike should be, that's cool. Except I'd rather build that bike myself, and even if I was incontinently rich I'd rather spend my bike budget on a stable of different kinds of bikes.

Except that NCR is making a bike that in theory functions better and is lighter. OCC is nothing but an exercise in horrible taste. I frankly don't trust NCR's chassis engineering with Titanium to make a frame/swingarm that works as well or better than the stock Ducati stuff.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If Titanium was a legit frame material you'd see it in GP bikes...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Does Ducati's complete lack of regard for clutch covers bother anyone else, or is it just me? I'd be terrified of getting dirt/twigs/small mammals jammed up in there.

Pretty sure that's not a stock part.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You go tossing your bike into the road and cause someone to wreck you're completely at fault regardless of following distance.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

That's a really ugly bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Wow - you can almost justify exhaust/pc/tune given the gains you had on that.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Taking what is a race bike and calling it a cafe racer is pretty weird. That bike is all sorts of loving ugly. I bet those pipes suck as well.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

MotoGP site has lots of pretty high resolution images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Say what you want about the racing, MotoGP bikes look a hell of a lot cooler.