Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Getting rid of those chicken strips.

inolen fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 26, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Mapless posted:

It'd be easier to just use a belt sander for that, gives you the same bragging rights either way.

Well at least you're not bitter.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

le tron fu posted:

Here is one stunnnnndataturr move I DO want to see: Create/get some bars that fold up and a good STURRNUM cage and low-side the bike at around 20-mph and stand on the side and 'surf' the bike like a skateboard, then step on a large lever/bar protruding out from the part of the STURRNUM cage that is upright and use leverage to push the bike upright and re-mount the bike. It could be called the HYFEE SKI or something.

Also, inolen: nobody is really impressed with generic LOL WHEELIE and LOL STOPPIE stunt pics. If you do something really outrageous or awesome (like the above hyfee skii) or some sort of wheelie wearing nothing but a speedo (ahem) then you might get some positive feedback.

The fact that you call that another generic wheelie shows you know nothing about stunting.. Circles are a hard rear end trick to learn. Especially seat stander circles, where you have to use the clutch/handbrake at the same time with the same hand.

Here is some video of me doing some seat stander circles:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k08am5DQx3k

And me doing another "generic" wheelie to contribute to the thread:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9lx9hS4M4gU

And yes Mapless, my comment was meant in jest.

inolen fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 29, 2006

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

miklm posted:

Mapless, it just proves your point about how bogus the whole "chicken strips" comparison/dick-waving is anyway. We've always said, "5 minutes in a parking lot...", there's picture proof.

I think I need to start using more emoticons.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Inolen, do something inventive. Wheelies are old and boring. I was wheelieing KDX-80's in the late 80's, when I was like 9.

Do something inventive that we havent all seen 10 trillion times, and maybe you will get a warmer reception.

Circle wheelies are boring too, no matter how hard they are. I want to see some innovation in the stunt scene, not just the same 4 or 5 rehashed tricks all the time.

4 or 5 tricks.. man.. you're still stuck in the 80's with your little dirtbike.

http://www.stuntshinestate.com/OTOWN.mov
Lots of sick straight line and circle combos.

http://www.teamxmx.com/video/teach.wmv
Another sick rider, use to be a pro class AMA racer, Chris "Teach" McNeil. Mostly of him learning to drift, and various circles.

inolen fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 28, 2006

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

I don't care much about stunting one way or another as long as it's not on the road, but what kind of bike are you riding that you have a clutch and a brake on the same handgrip? Do you have to run a lever for the rear brake or something?

It's an 01 f4i. I have an aftermarket rear master which lets me run two lines (or you can machine up an adapter that's threaded for a banjo bolt and put it in place of your reservoir inlet on your stock rear master). It's purely for off the peg tricks in which I can't use my foot brake.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

vorhese posted:

My coworker wanted to show me this, 137mph nose wheelie. Says it was posted in January, but archived.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7qaK1E6BV_0

Watch some real long rollers.. faster != better.

http://www.uponone.com/videos.php?id=368

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
Haha, nice video clips orinth!

Just got my bike prettied up (just need a front fairing stay and it'll have all its fairings once again).

inolen fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 15, 2006

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Blackaxis posted:

How does it not lose oil pressure?

I don't know, I've never had that problem with the f4i (although I've seen a lot of 99-02 GSX-R's and SV's blow motors due to it) :confused:

Erotic Moose posted:

I got a 02 F4i fairing stay that I'll sell ya for $50 shipped and a Powers 12 bar that I might sell if you are interested.

I have a stock fairing stay, but they are pretty weak. My friend is welding me one together right now, just waiting on him to get it shipped out..

Also, I already have a "bar" on there, it just wraps around the inside of my tail.

inolen fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 15, 2006

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
http://www.gotbud.net/cpcrash.wmv

Christian Pfeiffer going down this weekend. AC Farias somehow keeps his cool and made it look planned, haha.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

DILLIGAF posted:

So was he doing a stoppie or what? Your post was a bit ambiguous....

Does anyone make reinforced forks for those jackasses? They might be cool to have on an adventure bike to up[ the "rugged" factor a bit.

Was he doing a stoppie? I think the picture made that pretty obvious.

Reinforced forks? I'd like to think forks are MADE to endure heavy breaking and harsh damping.

This didn't happen because the guy is a "jackass" stunter that can't put on his front wheel or something stupid. His fork SNAPPED because the set screw on the 03-04 636 forks like to come loose and cause the tubes to flex around and weaken. My friend who tears up canyons came to me with the same problem on his 03 636. Fortunately he noticed his forks leaking before he met the same fate in the middle of a canyon.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Because trials riding involves real skill, practice, coordination, etc etc etc.

Wheelieing a sportbike is mostly trial and error.

I love how you so boldly show your ignorance.

I think you still have no clue what a real stunt rider is. Squids doing power wheelies on the freeway != stunt rider.

inolen fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 11, 2007

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I love how you endlessly defend your little hobby. Standups, highchairs, rolling burnouts, big endos, standing on the seat, aka, all the poo poo you see over and over and over and over and over and over at every single stunt show on the planet (not just douchebags on the freeway), does not hold a candle to the poo poo that a pro trials rider does.

It just doesnt, sorry if you dont like that.

I know you cant just hop on a bike and join the starboiz or whatever, but lets be honest, how many trials riders are out there with the insane skills to do the poo poo featured in the video posted above? Not many, they are rare. How many loving bandana-wearing, wifebeater-rocking, youtube posting stuntas are around at every single motorcycle event that occurs, hawking their homemade DVD's and blaring lovely deathmetal while they put on shows consisting of the same 5 or 6 tricks that every other stunt group does?? About 10 million.

Does that tell you something about trials vs. stunt riding?

Again, the list of tricks you mention (besides long 500+ ft endos) are all basic tricks. You have NO clue how technical half the tricks riders do at big competitions are. Sit down no handed circles, tank circle combos, merk step to highchair, figure 8 stalls, blindside combos, 180+ endo variations, the list goes on and on. But then again, you think they are the same 5 tricks because you are so ignorant when it comes to stunt riding. Do you also think skateboarding tricks only consist of the ollie, grab, and kickflip?

What stunts in that video do you think someone very experienced at stunting a sportbike wouldn't be able to pull off near immediately on a trials bike (besides some of those wall hops, as that's pretty foreign to us)? I've rode them and wheelies, endos, and bunny hops are piss easy in comparison to a streetbike. I don't understand why you think the opposite, perhaps it's because you've never pushed it to that level on either?

Trials bikes are fun if you have a good area with lots of obstacles to play around on, but for actual stunting, they are boring. You can do so much more on a streetbike.

Of course streetbike stunting is more popular, it's much easier to get into and more flashy. Lots of people already own street bikes, they can start fooling around whenever they are driving them around (I'm not advocating street stunting, but it is how a lot of people get into it) and slowly creep into it. With a trials bike you are pretty much buying it for just that purpose, and a lot of people aren't interested in that right off the bat. Not to mention they are expensive, hard to find, and you have to own a truck and haul it around to play with it. And again, when it comes to actual stunts, you can't do half as much on a trials bike, so I'd choose a streetbike over it any day.

inolen fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 11, 2007

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

pr0zac posted:

Inolen, I've actually kind of been on your side for this whole thing. Stunting is pretty fun to watch, and even if you don't like it who cares what other people choose to do with their time. You don't talk like an idiot and defend yourself intelligently and I don't really understand what everyone's problem is with you, but you really can't believe this ^^. I've watched quite a few stunting videos and over the last week or so watched a ton of trials videos and I really think saying you can do more on a street bike is wrong. Yes you can't do anything that involves sitting on the bike on a trials, but I'd think the ability to jump the bike alone offers a lot more options as far as tricks go. What makes you think differently?

Well, they are two different types of riding. Trials bikes are made for navigating terrain and most of the stunts in that video involve doing so, where as most of the stunts on a street bike are independent of your surrounding terrain. There is still some fun to have from using your terrain while stunting a sportbike, it just takes a long time to get to that skill level. For example, I love clutching up a seat stander and jumping and running along the side of an 18 wheeler or wall, or pulling in my clutch and coming to a stop in the middle of a seat stander and then hopping onto the back seat of someone at the spot, or stalling a wheelie onto a wall and then pulling back off of it and continuing on, etc. But I can't do an endo down a narrow ledge and whip a fast 180 and land on the ground 5 ft below the ledge or bunny hop up a section of rocks/ledges, it's just not going to happen.

With that said, trials bikes can't even begin to compete with the amount of set stunts you can do on a streetbike.

There is no tank or tail for acrobatic tricks, that takes away pretty much every acrobatic trick people do on streetbikes (christs, switchback christs, acid drops, rear skitches, gorilla rolls, spinderellas, leap of faiths, deactivators, etc.). You might be able to do a side skitch, that's about it.

The lack of tank, sturdy rear tail, and rear pegs takes away from all sorts of basic wheelies (sitdown, staggered, foot in seat, seat stander, highchairs, spreaders, boston stranglers, frogs, 50/50, can cans, nac nacs, ralph louies, etc.). Having these types of wheelies provides endless amounts of circle combos, straight line combos, figure 8 combos, circle variations like 50/50 foot drag circles, frog foot drag circles, blindside variations, stall outs and merk step variations (running behind the bike and then say jumping up to highchair) and more. There is so much to do on a sportbike, I'm sure I could write another few paragraphs, people just don't realize it until they become involved in it.

Not to mention, the danger! I love coming in on the limiter in 1st in seat stander, dragging my foot, coasting into a scrape and then jumping to 50/50 while still coasting and then dropping the clutch on the way down and flying back off into some more combos at 30-40 mph. Or coming in at 20mph or so and scraping a frog and doing a deactivator (hopping off the bike) and landing in a back skitch. So much fun!

inolen fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 11, 2007

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
Sure, more pictures.

Nick Apex at the XDL U.S. Open in Long Beach this past weekend.

inolen fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 11, 2007

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Mapless posted:

But like you said, you of course only do this poo poo in parking lots and not on public roads.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or what, but most of the lots we practice in are full of 18 wheeler trailers. I'm not about to try to run alongside a moving trailer at 70 mph.

inolen fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 11, 2007

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

open24hours posted:

Looks like some girl posing.. blah.

This girl has been at it a while, but she has never pushed herself very hard. We've been riding together for the past few months and she's finally been pushing herself and it's starting to show.

A few weekends ago she did her first few legit scrapes (i.e. not wrecking), check it:

Pretty bad rear end for a tiny girl who weighs all of 100 lbs.

inolen fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 16, 2007

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Wish I'd have noticed my tire was so flat, I was having a hard time keeping circles leaned in that day.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
wall park to rear end burnout :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvQs_x38tI

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q73phTUEBLg

Scraping subframe on my girl's stunt bike.

No helmet for extra stunna factor :jerkbag:

inolen fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 11, 2007

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Riding without a helmet rules.

Oh, for sure. Ride or die, right? :c00l:

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
Some pics my girl took this weekend.

She let me borrow her cage finally and pretty much settled to be a photographer for the rest of the day.

inolen fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 17, 2007

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Valfar posted:

Ahaha, nice wheelie retard
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=65061bdf6a

That's actually a very skilled old school stunter, Kyle Woods.

He was revving his bike when his clutch cable snapped. Keep your bike tight.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

And for humor, a clutch up from the side gone wrong:
http://www.houston-delinquents.com/videos/clayton.wmv

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
http://www.12oclockriders.fr/Forum/jdo/images/IMG_4796_2.jpg

http://www.dailymotion.com/atmospheretig/video/x62sk2_mon-film-2_sport

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 8, 2008

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Z3n posted:

The craziest bit about the entire thing is that once it went over backwards, he had to be using the rear brake to prevent it from falling over, but modulating it enough that it still continues backwards before he brings it back...:psyduck:

This is the whole fun with real stunting, there is a large technical side to it.

Funny video of my girlfriend wrecking while learning idle wheelies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSJHRDHdu-U

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Ahaha, the hand flapping as the bike is chainsawing around is the funniest part. Pretty smooth getoff though, has she been hurt yet?

Nothing serious, just a couple of scrapes and bruises. But she normally wears a fair amount of gear for doing idle wheelies in a parking lot in 100 degree heat.

inolen fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 31, 2008

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Z3n posted:

That's a halerious video. Awesome to have your g/f stunting though. Maybe i'll convince mine to give it a shot when I one day buy a stuntbike.

Also, thoughts on the use of a handbrake in that video? And if it's not super secret, how do you pick your stunt spots?

Handbrakes are only needed for tricks where you can't reach the footbrake. You should never use it for tricks where you can use the footbrake, or else you'll cripple yourself when it comes to doing tricks with your hands off the handlebars.

Some people have this conception that it'll be easier to learn than the footbrake, but it really isn't. I think it's harder to learn, as you have to learn to use 1 finger on the clutch and 1 on the handbrake, which just adds to the confusion when learning.

And spots, heh, anywhere without security/strong police presence.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

GriszledMelkaba posted:

That is the type of thing that makes me such a pussy when I think about trying to wheelie my r6.

It's definitely not something to do unless you love pissing away money.

Both learning properly and going out doing power wheelies are expensive. One way you'll be nickel and dimed to death breaking misc. parts over and over, the other you'll just eventually total out your bike with one wreck.

I completely trashed one 03 r6 stubbornly learning on it instead of buying a more suitable bike. A few months back I started adding up the major purchases I had made for my f4i over the past 3 years and easily hit 10k within a couple of minutes.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
Recent photo I took of Leah:

Her motor mount finally broke all the way off:

Time to start swapping over parts to the new motor and installing it:

inolen fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 22, 2009

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
She cracked the mount about a year ago when she was first learning. The head got cracked a bit as well, so we figured it'd open up wide and the whole motor would be toast soon enough. Also, I was scared of having it welded there as I thought the heat might warp some internal components.

So instead we jb welded it and applied more and more each time she wrecked and cracked it more. Finally after just more than a year it completely broke off.

Getting the new motor in was hell because the frame was bent in just a bit on that motor mount. We ended up having to grind the motor mount spacer that's part of the frame a couple of cm to compensate for the bend.

Our corny christmas card this year:

Some of my new 636:

inolen fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2009

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Z3n posted:

Awesome pics...I don't want to derail here, but you should start a thread about stunting and what additional equipment you're using. I see you have a handbrake for the rear, I'd like to read about any other mods :)

Leah actually did a small write up on this the other day :)

http://www.clanofants.com/?postid=42

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
Some one wheeled fun from Krakkles and I tonight:

Yes, I was sweating a lot from riding prior to demonstrating my unicycle prowess, lol.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CRrAP7KHmM

Video I edited from a show last weekend :)

Also, some recent shots I took:

And myself from yesterday (lighting was pretty crappy and volatile):

inolen fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 24, 2009

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

are those dents on your tanks deliberate? how do you do that without just cracking a hole in it?

Yup, they're there to help you stay gripped in when sitting on it doing tricks.

The metal is pretty malleable, but sometimes you do crease/crack it. My tank actually had a pinhole in it when I got done with it that I had to have welded.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Hammer.

Haha, doh, forgot the most important part.

Yes, for the most part we just use a ball peen hammer. I also use a small circular aluminum plate that I place over the gas cap and beat with a cinder block to help get the dent started. Dropping the center of the tank first helps you avoid creases and gives you a nice lip in the back.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Z3n posted:

Awesome stuff, as always. Good to see more updates from you.

TheFonz posted:

Really good to see someone smart and responsible about it. I always look forward to your posts. That video is stellar too. Great quality.

Thanks and thanks. We've been slacking on our media since moving to NYC, but we're finally getting back around to it. That was the first video I've ever actually finished editing, glad to hear you enjoyed it :)

Fantastipotamus posted:

As someone who's fiancee tried golf for the first time a few weekends ago, I rather enjoyed the last 45 seconds. poo poo ain't easy. :)

I'm just glad she didn't record me trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inolen
Dec 10, 2003