Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Im really digging that front stand.

Also at first I thought maybe only a dude was living in that place. Big TV, motorcycle and nothing else. But then I noticed the plants. So somehow a lady is involved in that living situation and Im finding that to be pretty lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

wonder what shenanigans have gone on to use what looks like the stock rear swingarm in the rear to fit that huge tire. im going to guess someone put a floor jack between the two arms until it fit.

also lmao at the lovely stock dampening rod forks still being there. that thing must be terrifying to ride

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I understand ducati had to go v4 away from the big twins for emissions reasons.

those big chunky cylinders had lots of space to hide unburnt fuel. nasty if you have to care about what’s coming out of the tailpipe

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Slavvy posted:

.... 4 cylinder engines are generally dirtier and less efficient than twins because they have more piston ring surface area for gases to bypass, and more bore/combustion chamber surface area to lose heat to, so there's certainly no inherent advantage there.

interesting. had not thought about all that extra piston ring.

ill miss big twins thats for sure. I dont think I’ve ridden with anyone that had on of the modern v4’s so i can comment on what they’re like IRL.

Also frankly that super powerful 200hp naked seems like a bit much. who’s riding that?? it seems like you’ll never get to punch it on the street without instantly regretting it.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

got em’

and by them i mean me

that bike is sweet. the hair too

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

FBS posted:

That exposed heatsink of what looks like the R/R on the right side under the seat drives me loving crazy

idk with my drz its like suzuki thought the R/R and radiator overflow tank are stylistic features of then bike. the huge kick stand too. why hide it when you can show it off

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

idk man, I still have it in my head that states without helmet laws have cheaper moto insurance because of the somewhat obvious conclusion of not wearing a helmet just means you die instead of needing expensive time in the critical care unit.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

the ethanol gas does seem to go bad if left in a carb more than a year or so.

Ive gotten in the habit of draining my carbs every season and putting stabil in the tank and coincidentally i have zero issues getting stuff to start every spring.

meanwhile a bike I recently acquired had 12 year old gas in the carb and it was still clear
and not even completely evaporated since by sheer luck it was “pure gas”

I imagine modern things are going to need a lot more work when they become “omg check out this old barn find 2000’s suzuki”

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

That is interesting to know.

I used to think gas and water didnt mix and the gas would float on top of the water and you could see it. looked like oil and water not mixing.

Then recently i helped someone with a bike that wouldn’t start after sitting in the rain and it was due to a huge load of water getting into the filler cap due to bad seals.

The gas + water looked fully mixed though and the whole mix was this cloudy white stuff vs clearly separated water and gas like i was used to.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Motorcycling is still one of those things for me where rider skill is so much more important than any other factor that I struggle to think of comparable activities.

It rocks though. People will talk smack about what they did and you can sit quietly and nod all day. Just wait and see what they are like in the twisties and then you’ll know whos who.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Ghost rider probably had a huge influence on me and its why I track bikes now. Thanks Mr Ghost.

At the time it appeared to me that riding bikes was like a secret super power that only a couple of people had and thats more or less correct. Bikes are so fast compared to most cars.

Also that over powered turbo busa they came up with is still pretty sick even by modern standards.

https://youtu.be/FJd5yg__Qko

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Also if the editing in those Ghost Riders is bad I dont even want to know.

Teenage me thought speeding from the police with techno in the background was high art.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

lol never noticed the top tier super sport guy shaking his head at the end before. dude must have thought he had it in the bag.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

its bad.

its also how I figured out the trackday crowd is the most well adjusted of the bunch, which you wouldn’t expect but here we are.

idk if im gonna stay a track day enthusiast and retire to ADV biking or what. or gosh. maybe retire to driving a car with a cage.

the world is scary and people are bad and dumb at things

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

ive had my drz400 for ~13 years and change the oil every season and its been nothing but a tank.

having worked on it a bunch. the thing super simple compared to the sport bikes. idgi

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i keep thinking i wanna go from the drz to a 701 as an upgrade. but i guess they’re pretty different bikes and also my drz seems perfectly fine and is still fun years later. cant complain

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

being able to look at your stator really got me good.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

hah. i know that was probably the only place to put that motor. but the angle of that chain setup means anytime you hit the throttle. a big chunk of the energy goes into compressing those rear springs.

probably pogo sticks pretty hard going on/off the gas.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

the funny thing about e-bikes vs. motorcycles is at least motorcycle manufacturers have been thinking about working suspensions on two wheel machines for a while

ebike manufacturers seem to be catching up to 1970’s moped technology

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

As a proud DRZ400 owner this makes me smile.

For a while I thought someone was stealing my plates. That is until one day I found my bike with just half a plate snapped off at the mounting bolts.

Thats when I realized it was from me jumping it off stuff and the rear suspension compressing enough for the tire to eat the plate. with no rider on the bike, those two things are like 30 inches apart.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

When I lived in phoenix. I was traveling all the way to arroyo secco in new mexico for track time. quite the trip but young me was pretty dumb and wanted cheap track days.

I do have fond memories of that place and it was pretty tight nit crew of riders who were pretty helpful to me. dumb 20 something who had just bought a bike and wanted to ride gud.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Has anyone owned the same bike for, say, 10ish years (to pick an arbitrary longish number)? 5? Just curious if it's more normal than I think it is.

I bought my DRZ in 2009 and still have it.

I ride other bikes but I love coming back to the DRZ. its the ultimate city bike and i live in a high density area.

I also owned a sv650 for ~10 years but that also was a super great bike. I swapped suspension on it front and rear and beat the hell out of it in the canyons and track days. upgraded to a “real” super sport eventually but the SV will always be special to me

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I am curious about peoples experiences with those inreach devices. They do use the iridium satellite network from the 90’s which is getting kinda decrepit. i could see it not functioning perfectly all the time.

I did a big backcountry ride recently and realized after the fact that I had left only a map and some vague description of the trip with my wife and there is some chance I could have just disappeared into the wilderness forever and no one would know where I was.

I have a ham radio but thats far from perfect. repeaters are sparse in the backcountry and so are people listening on 146.520

sorry pics thread.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

TKC80 tires being available in every weird rim size and aspect ratio you could imagine has really opened the doors to some cool setups.

need dirt bike tires for your 17 inch 180/70 rear tire? don’t worry TKC80 has got you covered

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

its too perfect. especially how grimy the entire thing is and yet someone splurged on a chrome engine case cover??!

also that mirror + barkbuster combo holy lol

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I dont see the appeal of the snow bikes. especially with a GS as the base.

real snowmobiles are 2 stroke 800cc nightmares that will rip your face off. A GS is boring and more expensive

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

hey cool. is that drag line bucket for coal or iron ore. cant really tell

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

lamo. when I owned my sv650. a clean, non dented tank was the holy grail and they went for $650-$800 easy.

also that tank has two layers of steel. so you really have to bin it hard to make it leak.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I was thinking every modern sport bike I’ve worked on had a system for capturing the brake pads even if a bolt falls out and struggled to think how bad youd have to mess up to get to the point that person was at where the pads just fall out.

and they have their amateur numbers even! presumably a step above track day riders.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Anyone have a parts fiche for the SV1000 calipers?

its been a minute since i wrenched on an SV. however, those spacers that are holding the calipers out further look like an aftermarket part that lets you fit GSXR brake calipers and rotors.

a stock sv has 2 piston calipers with one side being just a metal backing place.

yours look like 4 piston calipers from the same era gsxr. hard to tell from the picture.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Slavvy posted:

An sv1000 has 4 piston calipers

gotcha. i only ever owned the 650. can’t imagine what the stock 1000 part looks like

metajews setup looks one of these after market deals

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/sv-racing-parts-gsxr-tokico-4-piston-brake-calipers-adapter-brackets.455430/

for that bolt people we’re talking about. its the one circled in red.

that bolt passes through holes in the brake pads, you can remove the calipers from the bike and that bolt stops the pads from simply falling out. people who do their own brakes i guess can fail to reinstall that and create problems.

i think of the bolt as a track day/racer enthusiast thing. your swapping tires often and its nice to be able to pull the calipers and push them aside and not worry about them during tire/wheel changes

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Slavy mentioned it and I'll confirm. On my triumph. There is that hex head you see on the outside of the bolt. On the inside portion. That bolt has a tiny hole drilled in it for a small cotter pin to fit into. Meaning that you install the bolt. then cotter pin it. Then it physically cannot back out. Those two things are preventing the pads from randomly escaping the caliper like in that track vid.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

drat, I led you astray. I went and looked up the sv1000 calipers. That slide pin bolt seems to be captured at the end so no way to drill and pin it on the inside portion
I found some after market ones where they are pre-drilled but the holes are on the "outside" head portion of the bolt. letting you tie it off on some other part of the caliper

I went and found a pic of the calipers I have to illustrate what I was talking about on my bike. The end is free so its easy to get a cotter pin in it. Pretty sure they come from the factory that way.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

thinking about it a bit. i don’t think i’ve ever worked on a bike that had the clutch basket and stator on the same side.

kinda neat to see it setup that way.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

well… i’ve ridden a Ural and that does the thing where it pulls one way on accel and pulls the other way on decel. At least Ural knows about that and tweaks the design to minimize it.

so assume that but the affect is larger

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

The red one looks like some sort of air cooled two stroke monstrosity. That must be fun. hit the power band and then have it pull hard to the right at the same time. Probably took some skill.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

boy i sure do miss that ride to tortilla flats.

I lived in phoenix for 5 years and that spot was a regular for me. would leave work early on a weekday afternoon and have the entire road to myself. often times i might see one or two other vehicles.

its really serene out there past the town where it gets even more desolate.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

old tires are kind of great in that you can assume the seller never road it or if they did. didn’t ride it very hard.

all other wear items will be in tip too shape due lack of use or abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

yea. a sv650s that hasn’t been dropped and has dents in the tank or scratches on the sides of the headlight assembly at this stage in life is a real miracle.

beloved beginner bike for a lot of folk. me included. also always a parade of them at track days. luv that bike.