Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Mapless posted:

On a forum with a strong emphasis on performance, with a specific admonition pertaining to stunting and having already stirred up a shitstorm with prior postings of your bullshit what exactly were you hoping for when you posted yet another stunta pic?

I wasn't even commenting on your stunting, that's too easy. My comment was aimed at your 'removing the chicken strips' line. If you meant it in jest, fine, whatever, it's still as much bullshit as attempting to determine one's skill level by inspecting their strips in the first place which was the point in my response.

He's not doing it on public roadways, so what is the problem?

A circle wheelie pic is a lot more interesting than most of the pics here. "Oh, look, another japanese sportbike." "Cool, it's another picture of you taking a turn."

Let's ban burnouts from AI too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

orinth posted:

One of these things is not like the other...one of these things just doesn't belong.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

He upshifted like 12 times. Why won't they just play the videos and not edit in the sounds people think they're supposed to hear?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Awesome shot. Here's more Rossi love, the dirt pass in the corkscrew at Laguna Seca 2008

Actually, if I recall I think he might have taken him in the turn right before but obviously that didn't stick too well so I still think it counts as a pass in the dirt

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Got a little dressed up for halloween, of course it didn't help anyone see me and I had a few more close calls than normal with cagers. Later I went out in a cow suit as well but I didn't snap any shots for it.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

Also the second beast.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 3, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What's foolish is this conversation.

Is it okay to post homegrown in this thread? I made a couple camera mounts for cheap and recorded some rides, I have one of a road I like from two views that I need to compress, but if we can post our rides I'd love constructive criticism.

It will be a while before I can post them up though, the container formats, mov and mpg, are around 1.5 gigs now and when I tried to compress one I ended up with a file 1.3 gigs and growing before I canceled it, so obviously I need to figure something out.

If anyone is interested in cheap mounts, I have a old bicycle reflector mount that I took the reflector off of in use as a rear camera mount, pictured below. I don't really care about the camera, it's old and the lens is a bit off so I don't mind that it's exposed.

The other one is a small pvc pipe with a threaded part on top. Cut the pipe in half, drill a hole in the cap for the screw, add some anti-slip stuff to keep your bars nice and voila.

Up next I want a suction cup mount for the back so I can see my body position.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 2, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nothing more than light speeding and crossing the double yellow. The road in question runs along the top of the hills in KY for some nice sweeping turns and a few tighter ones, but the bonus of being on top of the hill is you have a clear view far around the corner. Of course I use that advantage to use both lanes if it's clear. I take it easy on most other curvy roads around me because they're all in valleys and the turns are blind.

Somewhere around here. Really beautiful ridehttp://goo.gl/maps/f5DG

Edit: Also maybe 1 or two double yellow passes :ohdear:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 2, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You He win's the rear end of Steel award...drat.

I've been riding like 5 years, 4 seasons and I've only put 8000 miles on two bikes in that time.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 2, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Caught a good wave on the camera, drat these are fun.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

-Inu- posted:

I know right. The instructors were like "hey yeah don't bother leaning off" and I was like "ok :downs:". Figured I should probably start leaning off during the session those pictures were taken when my toe hit the ground before my knee.

:psyduck: what for!? Did they want you to find the max lean or something?

I've never come close to a huge lean cause I hang off on normal street corners and have never hit a track. Everything I've learned was that the more upright the bike is thru the turn, the better traction you have and the faster you can run it. (obviously referring to street noobs like myself, not the pros)

poo poo sometimes I just hang an rear end over the edge and rotate my knee out just so I don't have to use the bars around town.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 3, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Thanks for the detailed write up, it's definitely interesting.

However, I don't know about other people, but when I was talking about hanging off the bike I was referring pretty much to your positioning in that picture. Slide the rear end over, lean the shoulders out and look past the rear-view mirror.

I can also already see my noobie problems in what you described there, if I ever get around to getting some riding videos converted and uploaded(an unbearable pain in the rear end, converting, rotating, splitting, etc.) I know I slow way too early, but then again I'm on a rural street road, probably at or over the limit, and I just haven't spent enough time with my front brake to know how hard I can hit it in spirited backroad driving.

I just need to find myself a track next season....now I'm nervous :ohdear:

Edit: Looking again at that last pic...that's wild. Is any part of his rear end on the seat or is it just thigh?

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 4, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I feel like I always had the conception that if you do hit a slick the farther you're leaned the worse, so I always tried to keep it more upright, but I've been wrong before.

Regardless, all of my experience is on the street which just naturally makes me more hesitant to see if it'll go that little bit farther. I hate riding on the street :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So I finally got my homegrown up, here's a couple videos of a nice route in Kentucky.

The video info on youtube says a lot of it. I love this particular stretch of KY10 because it follows the hilltops and leaves some great views for both spectating and turning. I tend to use both lanes when its visible here, but so do cars, it's the country.

Anyway, it's a beautiful ride, and with google maps I think it makes a neat combination. I'd like to see other people's videos of their rides with the routes mapped out as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW3tfscEbC0 video 1 skip to around 3:30 for the start of the fun. This, on the map, is that first hard left hander after the long straight following the hard right after the long initial straight...you'll get it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYNH0jGdYVA video 2

and the google map of where it is: http://goo.gl/maps/mj80

The dot to change the route should be around the where the videos are split.

Edit: I forgot to say too, I'm looking for all of the constructive criticism I can get. I've been riding for around 4 years I guess and I'd like to start getting into track days for fun, so any pointers on mistakes I'm making would be appreciated. I also realize there's not much room to criticize(track wise) other than lines because the road is so open I hardly brake. It's all rolling off the throttle and my apprehension for entering some turns because I'm not prepared to totally lean it...too soon :)

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 6, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Also in a race where Max Biaggi gave Rossi a little elbow as he tried to go around the outside in a turn, Rossi passed him a short time later in turn 1 and flipped Biaggi the bird at full lean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj9l0eWmt_Y

Not quite a prank but Rossi for sure.

Edit: Also got off the bike and kissed the pavement after he won the race near the location of a previous post of mine:

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

Awesome shot. Here's more Rossi love, the dirt pass in the corkscrew at Laguna Seca 2008

Actually, if I recall I think he might have taken him in the turn right before but obviously that didn't stick too well so I still think it counts as a pass in the dirt

Found some viddy of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfPM77TsGaA

nsaP fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 8, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Rizla is displayed proudly however :france: :420:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Just a few shots of the KY countryside from a point and shoot I use as a bar cam, click for big.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 13, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My dad was looking into a Can Am Spyder for my mom because she doesn't like riding the back or the front, but he wanted her to come with us. I think it looks like the worst bike/worst car ever.

It doesn't do either better and does both worse.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That is awful to watch but if anything it makes me feel better about my chances when I'm out.

I nearly /always/ have more distance between myself and a 4 wheeler on the highway than that rider ever did in the video. Christ.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

soy posted:

I'd like this too. A thread dedicated to gmaps or some kinda gps compatible thing of good rides isn't a bad idea either.

Add video for extra fun. I posted on a while back.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 9, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You got me confused I think, I'm in Northern Kentucky and ride the southern ends of Campbell, Kenton, Boone, and a bit into Pendleton county for the most part. For other people tho, it's super cheap and easy to make a simple camera mount and all you need other than that is an old digicam. I have a old CoolPix and a Cybershot that get the job done for a cheap set up, I'm not really interested in paying more because my rides really aren't /that/ interesting but I do think it's cool to be able to see a route on GoogleMaps and then be able to follow it on camera.

I was thinking about a helmet cam tho....or maybe something on the tail motogp-style. I did one on the handlebars and one on the rear peg and I found them to be mostly redundant, plus the one on the bars takes a lot more vibration and the bumps in the road. The only problem with the peg mount one is when you get up "reasonable and prudent motorcycle speeds for the road in question" or so it acts like a sail and starts looking at the side of the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWrI3PDfRGE See the beginning of that for the sail effect...I forgot I still hadn't edited details on that video but I'll have to watch it again, it might have been a super boring one I uploaded on accident.

I like having the cameras with me, it'll be good footage when I finally eat it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Synonamess Botch posted:

I do have you confused. With Neckbeard 2.0 or something like that? Do you both have the same avatar or have I been smoking something?

Nah that's me, it was an old name from a GBS name change thread and since I've started posting a bit more I changed it back. I'm just not in Nebraska so I don't know where that came from. I'm definitely down to have a thread where we map out routes then video tape them. As long as people keep it cool on camera (I say this having posted a video using the road as 1 lane, but in my defense if you go there it's open visibility and rural. Everybody does it...man....)

Revenant.Eagle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcOZVxheOXw

Commence flaming/arguing/etc.

I know the guy, have seen him ride and he is insane. He's a great guy too.

He's just really ballsy, I hate blind turns a he zips thru so many.

A motorsports community recently posted up ESPN showing Valentino Rossi's top ten races, something to check out. Included is the famous Biaggi/Rossi elbow/finger incident.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 17, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Silver posted:

Do you have a link to the Rossi stuff?

content: That a gsxr?

I'm not sure whether or not that's kosher, but use your imagination and the terms "ESPN Rossi top ten races".

Teammates now. I must say I preferred both of them in colors other than red. Has anyone superimposed a yellow 46 on a red GP10 yet?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That thing has to sound loud and mean.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, an estimate using 15 mins and 42 miles is an average speed of 170 mph or so.

Personally I think it's crazy and I'm not too impressed. I mean, the guy has balls but he's one car away from dead for what? At least the Isle of Man TT or other road racers who hit that on streets are doing it for something, not a youtube video.

It'd be good footage tho.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So I've recorded a couple videos of routes around here that are interesting and was hoping to see more of that from others in the spring, maybe a thread and all that.

Anyway I've been messing with camera mounts, so far using a bar mount and a rear peg mount. I decided to try a cheap suction cup mount on the tail of the bike to see if I could get a more interesting view, as the bar and peg cams show mostly the same shot.

Great failure. (That's me with an rear end cheek off in turn, most of it is nothing but jacket. Swear I'm not riding crossed up, either.)

Maybe facing backwards will be more interesting, but to be honest it was December 31st and nearly 60 degrees and I couldn't be arsed with cameras for too long, had to get a ride in.

Guess I won't look like a motogp rider yet. Need a wider lens and a new mount.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 4, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
gently caress the suit..congrats on finding a woman willing to try a bike.

I mean, I've realized finding one that will put up with me will be hard...but to do that and ride?

A keeper.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Aww...I swear the pics a few days ago had Hayden wearing Red/White/Black and I thought it looked pretty good, that blue is odd. Did they put it on his bike too?

Edit: lol reading comprehension. Ignore this but to laugh at me.

Rossi's designers did what they could with the yellow/red combo but it's ugly in my opinion. Visible for sure, you won't miss him on the track but ugh.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Gnaghi posted:

It's photoshopped too. No one under 400lbs rides a cam-am.

My mom might :smith:.

She's not into the bikes but my dad is interested in getting her out riding with him. He's considering one just to get her to come out, the same guy who was so tight rear end we spent less than 12k on 3 bikes.

Personally I don't think people should ride 'em unless they're disabled or something. My mom wants one because she doesn't want to learn to ride a bike, but that is the exact person you wouldn't want on a 3 wheeler. There's the same amount of danger, and arguably more room for mistake with it's hosed up steering dynamics, all with none of the respect that should come with it.

Someone who can't be bothered to learn to ride a bike hopping on a 3 wheeler just sounds like an accident to me. I heard they're pretty slow, at least.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, my sister got one and had the desire, but she went to school an hour and a half away and just didn't get on it that much.

Now she's just started her second term of med school, so a bike is getting sold.

I imagine the Can Am would be similar, and honestly if I think they ever get close to buying I'll probably voice my opinion, but as it is I doubt they'll take the dive. There's a dealership about 45 minutes away they'd have to go to look at it, and then buy it without ever riding for a cool 16 or 17k minimum. Between that and my mom showing little interest I doubt it'll get there.

Dad can never make fun of a Harley rider for the cost of their machine again after saying he'd do this, though.

Sorry, you still don't look cool. I'll stand by saying it's impossible to look cool on one of these, and I say that knowing I look goofy as gently caress on my bike.

Z3n posted:

test ride

ah. haha. ahahahahah. ahahahhahahahahahhaahaahha. ahah. hah. aha. ha.

ha.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 16, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Endless Mike posted:

The Can-Am dealer here has demo days pretty regularly.

Huh, color me surprised, I've never been able to get on a motorcycle in a dealer(riding my own in, what the hell? It was a used bike they were selling...) and heard they were the same way here. I might look into it to give one a go.

Not telling my parents though, hah.

Edit: http://www.middletowncycle.com Eh, this is the place that has them and beside their event calendar being empty the website doesn't speak to class. I doubt they have ride days, maybe legit dealers. I found out there's one a lot closer to home too, but I'm holding that one close to the chest as well.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 16, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He makes good points yes, but then goes on to back up what I said.

quote:

A sidecar outfit or trike adds a huge measure of confidence that we can beat the odds, not just of having a collision, but of not dropping the bike in the parking lot in front of our friends, or being passed because we're seen as being too cautious. One of the great advantages of belonging to the BMW fraternaty is that BMW riders tend to have the maturity to understand that trikes and rigs are a legitimate part of motorcycling, even if anyone chooses to not get into a three-wheeler. I don't look down my nose at riders who simply give up motorcycling when the odds seem too high, or the fun seems too low. I do look down my nose at people who run down any type of vehicle without knowing anything about them.

What's even worse is that as a bike rider he should know better. In a collision I don't know how you're any safer on a trike than a motorcycle. If you drop it in the lot, well, sorry your balance is going with your age. If you're being passed by cars and you're on a motorcycle you're doing it wrong.

The last half is just /BMW BMW BMW We're true riders, we don't look down our nose at people, except when we do./

For reference what I first said was:

nsaP posted:

Personally I don't think people should ride 'em unless they're disabled or something. My mom wants one because she doesn't want to learn to ride a bike, but that is the exact person you wouldn't want on a 3 wheeler. There's the same amount of danger, and arguably more room for mistake with it's hosed up steering dynamics, all with none of the respect that should come with it.

Someone who can't be bothered to learn to ride a bike hopping on a 3 wheeler just sounds like an accident to me. I heard they're pretty slow, at least.

Of course that wouldn't really apply to someone making a 2->3 wheel transition, but then the guy went on to say he feels like the three wheeler is less risky and that seems wrong to me.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 16, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Endless Mike posted:

As far as I can tell, it's just the Japanese dealers that don't do test rides. Even Ducati seems to have demo days pretty regularly - even if it's the same dealer as the Japanese bikes. I know BMW is pretty willing to let people test out their bikes, as well.

Hah, well yeah I never went to try a Duc or BMW so that'd be why I guess, only a Yamaha and Multi-dealer.

To Skier, I don't think anyone outright dismissed the Can-Am except for maybe the one guy who said "pointless machines". On the contrary.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So maybe it isn't just Stoner then... :D

Can-am nub http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2y6bCkvVTQ

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Christ, dumb poo poo like that would have me seeing red. They ought to give the guy a few "accident related injuries" before the authorities show up.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

The commentary is my favorite part.

Also, I'm not sure what he target fixated on. The inside of the corner? The pole? I can't even make any sense of his choices for lines.

And all of that an he still managed to get an exhaust on his R6 before crashing it. Needs that extra powa, yo! :v:

I thought he was simply going wide on the turns, either cause he's new or whatever. It looked like he was uncomfortable with where his passenger's weight was, but who knows. We only have a few seconds to judge. He goes over the double yellow first, running the turn wide, then runs next one wide as well, finally "target fixating" on the pole. It could be he was just running wide (and possibly doing it the whole time as he described it on the video as "coming out of the ez turns"). When he ran wide the last time it was too tight of a turn and too short till the next turn, so he simply ran out of road.

Gnaghi posted:

Jesus christ he just straightened up and went right towards the car wtf is wrong with people.

An MSF instructor or someone else when warning me about target fixation/running hot and wide in a turn said something to the effect of "Train yourself not to think, just push it a little harder. After all, one way is guaranteed to end in a wreck, the other you might get lucky." I've had a few times myself where I've had it happen and that's stuck with me, and since I'm like 95% of riders and not riding near the limit of the bike, I've come out okay. This poor guy didn't, he just froze. Just push it a little harder man.

Tired of edit, brain no work from school, hope sentences flow make sense now.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 27, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Mcqueen posted:

Probably awesome for the dogs hearing.

And where is his gear? ATGATT mister!

tip top of my worries, the dog's hearing

Click here for the full 2000x1614 image.

So stylish wearing his new #1. I thought 99 was cool but I'm sure the team and sponsors like seeing the 1, plus you can artistically make a JL. I always liked that Rossi kept his number, even tho he went on to win another 4 or 20 times.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 31, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So eager for the race season to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBpqU77dYzc

Hello there Cal.

Was there any TV coverage of the test days?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You've never been to Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Christoff posted:

What in the...

I guess that solves the knee out argument. :ms:

The dude is not doing ANYTHING fancy with his leans like we're taught and makes it look so easy.

This is low speed, frankly I'm more impressed he does it without counter-leaning that much.

Very skillful, not only does he/she have to be quick and precise when how much flick they give it to lean it back and forth to the edge, but the throttle and clutch control is fantastic.

And here I am, feeling all chuffed that I can actually easily do tight parking lot maneuvers without putting a foot down as I look down on cruisers.