Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
Sunny Sunday ride, took a wrong turn and ended up with a nice view over a citrus orchard:

lol licenseplate

edit: hurr tables

Sound Mr. Brown fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 15, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The bike culture in Japan is... really interesting. Here's one I found last week in Shinjuku (Tokyo):

at least it's a comfy ride:

I'll try to take more pictures of stuff you wouldn't see in the States. One thing I might be able to get a shot of is people riding Honda's "Monkey" series as though they are regular bikes. The 50cc pocketbike Monkey and the larger (125?) Ape are both really popular, and street-legal to boot. I see people hunched over and zipping around on them all the time, sometimes in a full suit headed to work.

Sound Mr. Brown fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 26, 2006

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

Someone skipped the MSF course...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4543794775092093202&q=sv650

"ohh poo poo"

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The bousouzoku phenomenon in Japan is an interesting example of biker gangs.

Wikipedia posted:

Bōsōzoku (暴走族) (literally "Violent Running Tribe") is a Japanese subculture very similar to car clubs: gangs of young men who share a common interest in designing (often illegal) modifications for cars and motorcycles. These modifications often include removing the silencing features so that more noise is produced. They also engage in dangerous driving, such as weaving from side to side on the road, not wearing crash helmets, and ignoring red traffic lights.

That sums it up pretty well, actually. You can hear these guys from miles away... One of their favorite activities is pulling in the clutch and revving their engines sporadically as they drive through populous areas at low speeds. Because they all have extra loud pipes, this creates quite an annoyance-- but it seldom goes beyond that.

Anyway, there was a little gathering of them outside a convenience store in the bottom of my apartment building today and I kind of stared at their bikes as I walked past. By the time I got my camera and got back down, four of the five of them had already ridden off. I asked the remaining one if I could get some shots of his bike. He told me it had once been a Honda FRB (or FRV or something like that):

That little can succeeds in making this i4 (or twin, maybe?) whine like a two-stroke.

That's the proud owner in the silver jacket there.

Wish I could have shot them all, it was quite a gang. Most of them in this style though, more or less. Something tells me that there aren't many dealers catering to this crowd in this city of 350,000 people.

Sound Mr. Brown fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 24, 2006

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

Out walking around today taking pictures, mostly small bikes:

This big tired thing has been parked in front of the apartments since I moved in a few months ago. Since then, it's been ridden maybe twice :( :

Yay Japan, weird little bikes everywhere. With all the SV650 talk lately I was hoping to run across an SV400 again today so I could put up some pictures of it.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

I don't think I've ever had a pizza, or any other food for that matter, delivered to me by car in Japan. Here is the local Domino's fleet:

Custom Honda Zoomers baby! :awesome:

Also a poor shot of a bike parked in Domino's' lot:

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

eternal mouthwash posted:

I think those are Honda Ruckus's

Honda Shenanigans.

;)

"Zoomer" in Japan, apparently.

ail posted:

Huh. Doesn't that cause the pizza toppings to slide down to the bottom of the pizza?

I mean, yeah, it's Dominoes with rubber cheese but still. Weird.
Just realized that the shot makes the boxes look like they are vertical. As Saukkis noted, the pizzas are placed correctly in the large cubical boxes on the back of the scooters, so I've never had any problem with topping relocation. They are about five minutes from my place and the pizzas always arrive intact and pretty ridiculously hot. Almost makes it worth it paying $30 for a single "large"...

Sound Mr. Brown fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 18, 2007

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

More gymkhana. They start off explaining some of the bikes then show some participants on minibikes towards the end. Last shot is of one of the judges starting off the course wheelying on a really funky scooter. I actually saw a guy on that same bizarre machine on the road a few weeks ago... he smiled at me as I grinned at him walking by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-2oR-oZ7U&mode=related&search=

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqSOj17_Cm8

Short one, worth it for the things these idiots say (and the accent they say them in).

"Awww, he gonna smoke him a cigah!"

:downs:

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

TreFitty posted:

My 2002 Honda 919 that's in brand new condition that I've been pimping all over the AI forum.

You're not in Texas, are you?

Nice shots btw :)

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

One of the coolest little bikes I've seen (friend in background for scale):

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

That was really cool. Wish he'd said a little more about how it's "totally different than a regular motorcycle".

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

Fantastipotamus posted:

I don't read the newspapers because they all have... ugly print.

Julien Dupont urban Trials riding.. pretty amazing bike control
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCy9nrchqFI

Deja vu!

Sparked a debate of trials vs. sport stunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

Spiffness posted:

How does one get a job where they deliver pizza's on DRZ's? gently caress my career, I found what I want to do forever.

move to a country where the gas costs more than $2/gallon :v: