Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

It's got the 0.2cc big bore kit, she moves.
Real men ride trials bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

Portable591 posted:

I have wondered about this for a while. What makes motards so fast on lovely surfaces like that? They seem to be on sport tires, just like most sport bikes, but I would be incredibly loving scared to corner that quickly on that poo poo on my ex250. They seem to let the rear wheel slide out all the time without low or high-siding. Is it the light weight, the huge suspension travel, putting the foot down for balance (I can't imagine it does much past 10 mph), or all of the above?

Uh... they're dirt bikes with slick tires. Even with knobbies you slide all over the place. That's how you go fast.

They don't fall because:
1. they are skilled
2. dirt has things called "berms"
3. supermoto dirt is usually hard packed and blue-grooved

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

Portable591 posted:

Right, I have no doubt they are highly skilled, but at least some of it has to be the bike or people would run all kinds of bikes in those races. There has to be some reason supermotos are quicker on tight courses with lovely pavement than sport bikes or standard dirt bikes, or people wouldn't use them.

I'm pretty sure the race series has rules as to what bikes you can run. I'm also pretty sure that a supermoto bike is, in fact, a standard dirt bike. If you have to ask why nobody runs knobbies, then look at a typical track and notice the pavement/dirt ratio.

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

Hello 1/8" thick aluminum, Goodbye bent radiators!

:haw:

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

Progress:

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

this was more of a pain in the rear end than I first thought. Oh well, now I have to do the other side.

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Hey man, leave the black guy alone :mad:

That's Racist sir! :mad:

I was looking at the scooter. :gay:

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

Every off-road guy is laughing hard at that.

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

RC212V posted:

My second day reg'd and I already failed.

Your username fails to deliver. :(

orinth posted:

Pretty cool best of 2006 motogp with EPIC music

loving AWESOME. Thank you! ;-*

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

New towing rig.

Brappin' in style!

94whitesnake fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 7, 2007

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

ClockworkZero posted:

PLEASE PLEASE APRILIA BRING IT TO CANADA!!! (Not that I can afford one right now anyway)

You can lease Aprilias. :)

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

VTNewb posted:

Just for the sake of completeness offroad folks there are some counterpoints:

Rivers/creeks
deep sand
diverging ruts(when they start splitting apart if area has alot of traffic)

And of course, any slow speed nasty offroad stuff.

And in general these circumstances need your tight hold only because an obstacle can instantly jack your wheel to full lock or similar.

It makes me think really, it would be great to grab all the offroad guys and talk technique.

That's why most guys run a SCOTTS damper. Most guys will say that a properly valved suspension has the same effect as a damper, and then some will say if you're suspension is tiring you out then you're not going fast enough.

I'd love to talk shop, but I think there's like 2 trail riders in all of AI.

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

I lived and breathed dirtbikes from 7 to about 20 years old. I havent ridden off-road in any serious manner in about 6 years, but I want to get back into it.

It's fun. I don't exactly pull wheelies on fire roads all day either. Actually I never do that.

This is what I do every sunday.

94whitesnake fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 31, 2007

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

I'm gonna go ahead and hope you ride that crfx.

survey says???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

I can't make out the lettering, is it a 2004 525exc?

What size is your bike? How do you like it? how long have you been riding? Looks like desert stuff.