Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

More shiny = better than, it doesn't go deeper than that.

It's the same kind of person who looks at a Harley heritage or similar and thinks hmm not enough chrome, show me the chrome page in the catalogue please.

Not a motorcycle, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Even a motorized bicycle should be treated with some level of caution you may not otherwise give a bicycle. Unless you’re going downhill or on dirt/off-road, it’s basically impossible to ride a bike beyond your ability. Add a motor, even a small electric one, and it’s a different story.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Dude was riding in pouring rain with his girlfriend, crashed, and pulled her in as they slid for what seemed like 100 meters.

E: it was thailand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmacZXkfk6o

That makes me feel better because she definitely looked like she was dead in the other video. :barf:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Do people like trikes? :confused:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is the swingarm fine after that? It seems like it would be structurally weakened. Like I get there were threaded holes there but those don’t look like holes anymore.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think it’s a joke about Irish being drunks.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah that too. A part of me thinks I might have been able to react in time and move forward and right to avoid this, but I don't know... that's kind of a panic situation, the rider might not have even noticed they were backing up in time, and sitting there holding in the clutch sucks. I still have problems with my left forearm (though to be fair I bet that's more a result of Saturday Night Wrist, the clutch sure exacerbates it though). All of these things add up and before you know it some lady in an SUV with AB plates has crushed your frame. :(

I think most people would be too bewildered to react appropriately. The car is driving pretty unpredictably. It’s bad enough it’s backing up way too quickly, without even looking, but it’s not even going in a straight line. Expect the unexpected, I guess.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is this really slow? I mean, it seems like it to me. It has a speedo shot of 81kph, which is pit lane speed... I saw a video of Nico Rosberg on an Energica something, and it looked way more exciting.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That guy has major bad karma.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I find his videos to be obnoxious :shrug:

I’ve never seen that video of his crash, though, holy poo poo.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Which one?

Iirc isn't he the guy who also rammed a parked car while trying to throw business cards at people standing on their front lawn?

It was this one, unless that's a joke about his multiple high profile crashes.

I hadn't heard about that crash you describe, but that sounds on point for him. Kind of amazing he's on YouTube giving out beginner's advice.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah I heard about this but searching Youtube for it mostly returns people dunking on him, which is funny, but it's hard to find the actual crash. drat :stare: Glad he didn't die or get permanently injured, he's lucky, and should possibly take that as a sign to step down to a smaller bike or perhaps quit motorcycling forever. Did he ever say if he was recording during the crash?

Now this guy... (two guys actually, they revealed themselves as the Beavis and Butthead of motorcycling when they switched to their current style of Youtube clickbaity prattling brotalk vlogs some time after posting a bunch of mysterious videos of a BMW S1000RR tearing up a mountain road somewhere in Italy). This guy I'm amazed is still around, he really shouldn't be encouraged but I check every few weeks out of morbid curiousity. The Beavis character who does the more, uh, spirited riding crashed a few times but always pretty minor and low speed, against all odds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n5OmQzy5qI

Yeah, that guy popped up in my feed, but I decided to stop watching after a video or two. I suspect we're all guilty of speeding, but he's just being reckless IMO. 3 minutes of riding, and his buddy crashed, and he clipped his right mirror on a wall. Crossing over the center line is a cardinal sin. If you have to for safety reasons, then OK, but just to take a corner faster is just being really selfish.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Horse Clocks posted:

It was a fun 20 miles. Didn’t take long to get the rear to lock up and fishtail, gonna have to go practice that in a car park.

What are you supposed to do when this happens? By fishtail I mean the rear is sliding from side to side, not just out of line with the front.

This happened to me once, and I wanted to release the rear brake, but they tell you over and over to not do that, so I ended up just fishtailing off the side of the road :smith:

I am not sure what I should have done. Would more front brake just make the rear lighter and fishtail harder? Or maybe less front would help bring the rear back in?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

I don't understand Doug Demuro and his appeal at all. Used to subscribe just to see what's out there, but stopped when every video became a sales pitch. I sure don't give a flying gently caress about a quirky cupholder placement on a car I'll never buy. Or 10 minute detailed instructions on how to remove the hardtop on the new Wrangler. If I buy the Wrangler, I'll just read the instruction manual, I guess

I think the appeal is his videos make you feel like you got to sit in and fiddle around with a car most people will probably never even see. All his videos feel the same, though, so I stopped bothering.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao if you think RSV4’s ever leave the driveway

One time I was waiting for my friend at a parking lot and some dude on an RSV4 nearly backed into me and then proceeded to wipe down his entire bike with a microfiber cloth. It seemed a little obsessive, bordering on theatric.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How would you even stop if you needed to? Wouldn’t the front tire either just immediately lock up or, if it managed to grip, just plow into the sand once the weight transfers forward?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Roll off the throttle and gently apply the rear brake. You'll stop eventually.

If your question is actually "how would you stop suddenly," well, refer back to the video

Yeah, stop suddenly. I don’t think you can. Maybe that’s why he didn’t. It’s hard to tell, though. It looks like he thought he could just cut thru the water. You probably can’t even really steer either. I will not be attempting this at home.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That intro sure is something.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I went to a work meeting on Thursday and rode my bike instead of taking my work car. I snuck a quick ride in on a twisty road a mile away but wasn’t brave enough to take the long way home :unsmith:

I saw more people on bicycles than I expected. I only saw one other motorcycle. Not sure how strict things are going to get, but I guess it’s not the priority all things considered.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Was that from a lack of countersteering? Looks like he just panicked and plowed off the road. Unfortunately for him there was a big drop.

https://youtu.be/VVE79XT8-Mg

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah, I don’t talk motorcycle dynamics with people in real life, but I think a lot of people aren’t super aware of how their inputs affect the bike. Countersteering is something you learn to do on a bicycle, so it’s possible to continue doing it on a motorcycle without being being aware.

Even if you are aware, in a panic, you may make mistakes you wouldn’t in a controlled or theoretical environment, especially if you’re a beginner. For example, I am a beginner and ran wide in hairpin because I made a dumb mistake coming into it. I hit a bunch of bumps I did not see while I was braking. My mind told me to let off the brakes so my wheels don’t lock up, which is dumb because I have suspension with plenty of travel left, and definitely not the answer I would have picked on a test. Luckily no car, but it could have been a bad crash.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You can definitely muscle a bicycle around in ways you cannot with a motorcycle, but I still suspect most people are countersteering, even just oh so slightly, without knowing. It’s impossible to self analyze your steering, or it is for me anyway, so you’d have to do a study of people who do and do not know what countersteering is, and then see what, if any, changes there are after they are informed and/or reminded, and then analyze the data. I wouldn’t be surprised if that study already happened; I’ll have to do some googling.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

First time attaching the Sony action cam to my RAM mount today. Observations:
- I wish the battery lasted longer. This is true of the Sena 10C on my helmet as well, but drat this Sony chews through batteries.
- I forgot to record in 4K, but that doesn't really matter.
- I should look into some sort of vibration-reduction options. The camera does some really trippy poo poo when the bike is shaking - it's not unwatchable but it could be better.
- I need to find a second mounting spot for my other action cam. MotoGP 'butt closeup' would be cool but I'm not a good enough rider, don't have a gyroscopic mount, and my non-biker friends wouldn't really appreciate it. Ideas?

Is this Vancouver?

I have been contemplating a Sena 10C Evo vs GoPro Max. What is your opinion of your 10C, besides battery life?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah that’s exactly why I want one. No one wants to see my dreary riding. I like that the GoPro is 360 so I don’t have to worry about its mounting that much or if I get side swiped and don’t capture it. But I also like that the 10C is also a comm system and I like the POV-style as well. It’s also cheaper by $100, several more hundreds if I save myself buying a comm system later on.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It’s “inboard,” at least according to the graphics on it. Inboard brakes seem completely pointless on a motorcycle, maybe not even actually possible. It looks cool, though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Turnchat in another thread made me look up parking look maneuvers on YouTube and I came across this stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHgxAp9LSnc

I can definitely do that in my dreams

This is a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snxDYS9tDPc

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

If you get the Evo or Max, LMK how you like them. I've got a GoPro Fusion (gently caress GoPro for ending support for older devices) that I've been meaning to get some 360 footage with this season, and the Evo looks... well, 'worth it' is a stretch but yeah I need that 4K.

OK, so I got the 10c Evo. I used the flush mount at 20°. Seems fine so far. Some times on the freeway it doesn’t capture far enough ahead because I tend to lean forward/down, especially if it’s windy, as my bike doesn’t have any wind protection. On the street it’s fine. Image quality is better than I expected.

The dynamic range isn’t great, but the exposure adjusts pretty quickly (~0.25 second). If you’re riding through a forest where the light changes rapidly it has a hard time keeping up. I doubt a GoPro would be much better, though.

I bought the Evo over the Pro because it’s a smaller form factor (which is also why I used the flush mount over the adjustable dial mount). I don’t really care about the 4K. Battery life is only about two hours while recording, but it can record and charge at the same time, so not the biggest issue.

One weird thing though is if you get a phone call it will switch the audio source from your mic helmet to the helmet on the unit body itself. I assume this is for legal reasons, but I wish it would just not record any audio at all in that case, because at freeway speeds it just a hideous noise, and at street speeds (or stopped) it will pick up the audio still.

File size is 450MB/minute for 4K :wth: I can upload a clip to Dropbox or something if you want to compare it with your Pro.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Can I get both a grilled cheese and a milk shake at the dairy mart?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I saw this the other day. I just noticed the tank appears to be held in place with a bungee and a belt.

There’s a ~900’ tall hill in the middle of the city. I found some goats up top, so I pushed my bike over and took this picture! Goats are very cute.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Stomps all over my storage.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Haha yeah honestly I find it really unsettling and I’m slightly nauseous.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I rode a death trap scooter on Waiheke and I’m glad it was an authentic kiwi experience.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Given the context, there is little doubt those are just lace up sneakers.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

The new Indian bikes are a joy to ride. Especially the challenger model. At the demo event, they have comparable Harleys lined up, so you can feel the difference and never buy Harley garbage ever again.

I think naming your bike Challenger is weird, though. It's like admitting you're not the first choice. See also: Dodge Challenger cfr Ford Mustang.

Why are American bikes sooo heavy? It weighs 508lbs. A Harley Street Rod "in running order" is 525lbs. A Ducati Monster 797 is 425, and an MT-07 is 403. I wonder how much the Harley Bronx will weigh if it ever gets released.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I meant the FTR1200. I forgot I edited out of my post. I think comparing the FTR to the Monster is fair. Street Rod maybe less but they don’t really offer anything closer.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

What's wrong with the motorcycle being heavier than some sort of arbitrary minimum? Do you have to walk it up hill on daily basis or something?

Long wheelbase, low center of gravity, and heft, are the perfect combination for swallowing highway miles. Especially on imperfect American roads. If the suspension is tuned for the weight, it works. Seeing 100K miles on the Goldwing, ST, Concourse or Harley variant of sorts is really not uncommon for that reason. Hell, my current touring bike is nt700, weighting in at 540 lbs, and it's the lightest in the group.

Edit: my cb1100 is actually exactly the same weight, but somehow it is less comfortable, and less predictable on tight mountain roads. It sure has more power, but I'd rather ride the NT most of the days, especially when highway are involved. And since it's a picture thread, here is the current stable

And yes, I know people have done Alaska tours on Ninja 250s, but those are not normal people.

As weight increases, almost every other performance aspect decreases (obviously). Comparing different bikes soley on weight and make judgements thereof is dumb, yes, and not what I was trying to do. I've just noticed how heavy both the Street Rod and FTR1200 are compared to bikes which could reasonably be cross-shopped on basis of price, performance, and category. I probably should have cited the MT-09 or Monster 821 instead as the performance is probably more closely aligned, but the weights are about the same as the MT-07/797. Weighing 500lbs (or whatever) isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when similar bikes are substantially lighter (50-80lbs), it makes me wonder.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I crashed in Alpinestars J-Cult. They definitely saved my toe from being smashed by the gear lever. I didn’t have any pain to my recollection. I still wear them depending on the situation. They feel pretty substantial to me. The sole is very stiff and the toe and heel boxes feel well reinforced. The ankle protection is of course nowhere near what a full boot provides, and there’s nothing for your shin.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That makes the outdoor drag show I saw yesterday seem way less exciting.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

No lack of truck will stop me from living my life to the brapest

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I saw this bike today. Looks pretty slick. I imagine quite a bit went into restoration.

I also saw this yesterday which I did not know existed and I assume is mostly just a sticker?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RadioPassive posted:

They made a Ninja 300 for a few years before they made the Ninja 400.

I meant the ZX-3R sticker. I imagine this bike isn’t substantially different from the Ninja 300? I just thought it was kind of funny. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It is surprisingly easy to jump your bike in SF. I did it once, when I went over a crest that was much sharper than I expected at only ~25mph. Obviously not as impressive as that. I’m not brave enough to try on purpose.