Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Portable591 posted:

And no stunter will ever touch this woman's skill: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8867862777896510907&q=crazy+bike

Flatland on a fixed gear roadbike?!? :psyduck: :wtc: :(:fh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Phat_Albert posted:

What makes it an SS?

Slightly rearset pegs, Dual front discs and single rear instead of single front and drum rear, 4-2 exhaust instead of 4-4, slightly different bodywork.

There were three models:
    K - The standard.
    C - Custom. Forward controls and higher bars. Lower ride height.
    F - SuperSport.

The F was the lightest and "sportiest" bike of the line at that time.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

orinth posted:

Would have been nice to see him turn it, but this is him on a 600rr with a prototype suspension they're devoloping. God he can get that thing over. From a trackday at a local track....

Dragging... elbows?!?

:psypop:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

orinth posted:

I feel quite a bit more comfortable. I recommend to it to anyone. I still have a lot to learn though, haven't been riding all that long.

I did drag my knee today on my last lap which gave me a ginormous grin. I have 6.5 minutes of video that I need to get converted to put up here.

Pic from friday

2 randoms from today

I don't want to give advice when I haven't done a trackday myself, but it looks like you're getting twisted when you hang off. It's most visible in the last pic. That's keeping your knee up and makes things feel strange. Dropping your inside shoulder should help keep the bike more stable, and you'll need replacment knee pucks pretty soon :haw:.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Saw the new BMW S1000RR at an open house last weekend. Who couldn't love this face?

:pwn::pwn::pwn::pwn:

It was an "interesting" looking bike, to say the least. It will be very intersting to see how this performs compared to the Big Four -- Power is insane at 193hp for a liter bike, weight is right in there at 450lbs with all fluids and a full tank of gas, ergos were surprisingly comfortable in the three minutes I sat on it and the price isn't too out of line compared to Big Four's offerings; if I recall correctly list price is 13,499. I'd love to ride one, but I value my life/license a bit too much to buy one ;).

Here's the rest of the pictures:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

ranathari posted:

gently caress the haters, the S1000RR is one of the best looking new bikes out there and it's refreshing to see a manufacturer fitting an exhaust that isn't comically huge and ugly.

They're actually supposedly designed to channel air into and out of the radiator, which is why the bodywork is asymmetrical as well as the headlights.

The only thing that struck me as seriously odd looking were the headlights. I can also say it looks much better in person than it does in pictures.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
This is as close as I'm going to come and it's not very close to riding a motorcycle for awhile :(

Got another 7" last night, winds are currently 26mph sustained with gusts over 40mph, temps are going to fall to -10F tonight and drop to -19 tomorrow night.

gently caress this weather :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

kylej posted:

http://frank766.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p998645067-5.jpg

Is that a modded SV?

Looks like an FZ1 to me.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Not to detract from Baglbeabs* but this is why I haven't been riding since December 6th.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

Because you're trapped in a car?

Yes :(

(I've tried to get out of my drive on the bike and made it ~30' before I got completely and totally stuck.)

This winter has sucked.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I got bored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK3iLYtCEt0

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Jack the Smack posted:

Saw this poster at the dealership today. I asked them if I could get a copy or that one, and they said that's the only one they had and wont give it to me. :mad:

Anyone recognize it and where I could get it?

If someone finds it I'd be interested too.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
The end of the first street ride of 2010!! I didn't die and it was awesome to get back on the bike again.

Tucked away in it's amazingly cluttered home, safe and sound. And completely filthy :q:

sport tires really suck rear end in the snow.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lancemantis posted:

Crazy man!

:)

It was amazingly fun. Probably going to do the same thing tomorrow.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Welcome to hell. Rain pissing down, 35F, snow all over, and stuck behind a goddamn Prius that I don't feel like passing since there's a shitload of sand in middle/all over the road.

WARM UP, GODDAMNIT
:smithicide:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I agree wholeheartedly. I mean, it's still a Desmo and that in itself is awesome, but the 1098 is a much better-looking bike, at least at the front.

The Desmo reminds me of my CBR's front shape so it's all a-ok with me :3:

...I would loving love to ride one of those crazy things. Oh my.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Any time you see the blinking light, that's either TC or ABS, I believe.

2ndclasscitizen had it right. The light you're seeing is the shift light, which they had set at 8k rpm for some reason. I only got the TC and ABS systems to engage a couple times on my brief ride of a S1000RR but they're definitely not on the top of the instrument cluster. They're either flanking the neutral light which is under the speedo display, or off to the bottom left of the tach, can't remember...

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

BMW says to keep them under 9k rpm for the initial 1000km. Initially it was just advice to keep it under there, but they've since updated the ECU to limit them to that, then at the 1000km service the limiter is removed by the dealer.

Yes I realize that, but watch the video again -- the shift light starts blinking at 8k rpm. You can set the light at whatever rpm you want within a reasonable range... not sure what the low end is but it doesn't surprise me that you could go down to 8k.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Speaking of literbikes.... Some videos from today's dyno sesson.

My Honda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qLd45LMicc

A friend's stock buell 1125R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV-1WE2PmZk

1125R with a custom built exhaust (that was insanely loud...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HOtd5-h5Wg

More to come when my internet connection decides it wants to puke some more poo poo up on the internet.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Would it kill BMW to put symmetrical headlights on their bikes? I can't help but thinking that the bikes look like they're all o.0

Supposedly it was to save weight and allow for optimum packaging of the air intakes. Realistically it's just to look different enough to be distinguishable.

Edit -- it looks good. :pwn:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

AncientTV posted:

That's an actual production jet-bike he's riding, the Y2K. Top speed of 250mph :O

A guy I did some work for has one of these. He started it up on my sidewalk and killed grass on both sides with the exhaust :hellyeah:

It's hilariously huge, but for its size it's relatively light. The reach to the bars is ridiculous. It's not as loud as you might expect either.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

That's too bad. I think 9/10ths of the reason of owning a jet-powered anything is to be roaring down the street making all the appropriate jet-engine sounds.

(Also, I wonder what the maintenance intervals are on it? I love to do some cross-country touring on one)

I guess that wasn't worded very well. It's still loud as hell, don't get me wrong. It's just not as loud as you'd think a freakin TURBINE POWERED MOTORCYCLE would be :hawaaaafap:

He's got one of the earlier ones that had overheating issues due to too little oil capacity. It's been down to MTT a couple of times for updates. They increased the oil capacity considerably and upped the fuel capacity as well. He had some clutch or transmission issues at some point too, but that's not overly surprising considering what kind of power it has to handle.

Other than reliability, it's hamstrung by the fact you're riding a freakin TURBINE POWERED MOTORCYCLE :hawaaaafap: and burn a shitload of fuel. I want to say he was getting approximately 60 miles out of a full tank. Of course, because it's a turbine the faster you're going the more efficient it is...

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Dubs posted:

I'm really not a squemish person, but gently caress me that is unsettling to watch.

no poo poo, ugh :(

I saw this on another forum -- dude is at a NESBA trackday and has some sort of horrible mechanical failure on a very long straight. Jump to 2:30 for the good part...

http://vholdr.com/video/epic-nesba-track-day

What the hell happened there? Earlier in the vid you see him having issues shifting, maybe the trans exploded? Sounds like right before he crashes the rpms drop a little.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

Every fiber of me wants to wheelie barspin that thing down some stairs right loving now

:v:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Trintintin posted:

Backyard BMX tracks are pretty AI.

Whats the word on BMX pictures, the sports photography thread is almost as dead as the Offroad Bicycle thread, and I shoot pictures pretty much weekly.

That's either the craziest track ever or a very awesome and well maintained set of backyard trails. Or both. I never did any racing but I did ride our local trails (which your place shames them so bad it's not even funny... at least it was a place to ride), street, and a bit of park. Keep posting 'em. :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Jack the Smack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGns4YyqDrs&t=173s

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!

Dudes got some serious counterlean going on.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Depending on what happens in my life in the next couple months, I might be able to offer you a pretty smokin' deal on a farkled-up Wee-Strom with crash bars, hard bags and everything.

It's a POS don't listen to him

[I AM AN IDIOT]get on AIM you rear end in a top hat I have trackdays to discuss with you[/I AM AN IDIOT]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
More video of Teach loving killing an 800gs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRvVLA0KzM

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Also, I vote that if you're going to run straight exhausts you shouldn't be a huge feeb and buy them out of a catalog, just cut the exhaust off 4 inches after the engine. You get bonus 1%er cred for doing it that way.

I really can't judge anyone's exhaust because I ran my oldass honda like this for something like 3800 miles:

I don't like obscenely loud bikes anymore though. Stock? most of the time it's TOO quiet. I like to hear the exhaust AND intake noise, thank you much. The CBR was insanely quiet stock. I disabled the little servo activated flap thing that closed at idle and it was perfect for me, never felt the need for an aftermarket exhaust.

The KTM I took the pea shooters out of and love it. All the packing material and baffles are still in place but you can actually hear the exhaust over the racket the freakin LC4 makes now :). Yes, that engine is louder than the exhaust in stock form. It's ridiculous.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

schreibs posted:

God drat this is a multi-purpose image!

"First thing the why happen? is wa biker's say.... poo poo happen????"

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

mutt2jeff posted:

These videos were ripped from my friends facebook page, so the quality is dismal, but we went on a little ride a few weeks ago and this is some of his footage. You should still be able to get the general idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGPvHA9-cHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HC8of3n7qo

You are a crazy crazy crazy person. HOLY poo poo :aaa:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Clank posted:

I do not understand huge trikes with tons of wind protection. Just buy a car.

What's funny is there's really not much more wind protection on that trike than a normal Goldwing... Just those little wings on the side of the already huge fairing.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
:hawaaaafap:braaaaaaaaaAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :hawaaaafap:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

SMC off on an adventure through South America.

So jealous.

I'm digging that jerry can rig... does this guy have a thread or blog somewhere? Or just a random pic you came across?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

mutt2jeff posted:

Had a little ride yesterday, traction was good except for frozen puddles.

You rock. Any issues starting in the cold, or did you have to rejet?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

KidDynamite posted:

Not as good as the Fiat colours but what can you do?

hi-viz yellow and red? His new nickname should be "The Firefighter" not "The Doctor"
:v:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

echomadman posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOFimB7ZA

V8 powered Rx7 vs Extended swingarm ZX-10 in a drift battle

Thats the first non-drag bike with an extended swingarm that didn't irritate the hell out of me :haw:. The RC car is the best chase vehicle ever. Also that track is way more fun than it should be. Anyone around the Albuquerque area should check it out, they have super cheap trackdays.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

You've definitely ridden bikes that can (even Ninja 250s can), but generally speaking it's hard to learn to do them on a bike that can just barely eek one out, even if you're really aggressive. Like you, I had never done a wheelie...until I got a supermoto.

I did a wheelie(s) on the test ride of my 625smc. Then ran out of gas. It was love at first sight :swoon:

Edit - Content for the picture thread.

This is the view from my 625 during a normal ride to work. Of course, all you can see from this angle is the sky -- a perfectly normal view for my front wheel :v:

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuawYd3Cwk&feature=related

needknees fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 21, 2011

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Well this settles it. What bike would jesus ride? A CX500 :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Oh god what do we call it when they mount a motorcycle tire to a car rim!

LIGHTSIDE IMMA LIGHTSIDE RIIIIIIDERRRRRRRRRR