Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought
I bought the DVD last night, and after watching it Im glad I was able to support Mike Judge. This film is not perfect, and it's evident from the deleted scenes that the film's editing probably recieved as much resistance as its release.
Idiocracy is essentially critiquing our current society as a whole and where it is headed. It doesnt just attack the 'NASCAR crowd', but everyone, including 'average' careless joes, uptight selfish yuppies, corporatism, mindless consumerism and the ever increasing police state.
The moronic people of the future potrayed by Judge do seem surprisingly plausible, since all he's basically doing is taking current trends and extrapolating them, albiet in a mainly intelligently humorous way. There is a lot of vulgarity, but you are meant to laugh *at* the stupidity of the humor as much as with it, though at times it does get a little flat.
This vulgar stupidity created some uneasyness in me since a lot of it is recognizeable in today's society and entertainment, and Im positive this is exactly what Mike Judge intended. The stoopid humor is offset quite well by some good jokes and subtler, intelligent observations. I especially liked the ending time machine stuff.

This is an original (for Hollywood), very funny at parts, non-PC comedy. It will make you think about where we could possibly be headed as a society, if you have ever thought about such things like dumbing down. Im hoping there is a directors cut released eventually, which may happen since this is set for cult statis.
Even though at times it does fall a little flat, it more than makes up for it in other areas, 5.0/5.0. I thoroughly recommend watching it after a few beers with friends :-)

btw, the idea for this movie was probably inspired by the short story "The Marching Morons" written by the late great sci-fi write Cyril Kornbluth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons

ddraigcymraeg fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 10, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU