Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Heads up, Apu Trilogy 4K is only $58.54 (53% off) at Amazon right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

40% off sale on Eclipse discs is a fun gimmick, although I wish Travel with Hiroshi and other sets weren't still out of stock.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Nerdietalk posted:

40% off sale on Eclipse discs is a fun gimmick, although I wish Travel with Hiroshi and other sets weren't still out of stock.

Does Eclipse not go on sale with the regular sales?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Does Eclipse not go on sale with the regular sales?

They do.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
They’re probably just trying to get rid of any Eclipse stock they have since that’s a dead sublabel for them.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://x.com/Criterion/status/1778095508235473265

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Give me a ps5 app and I will do so. Thank you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

you can't get Criterion on the PS5?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Still the best (top 2 at worst) streaming service, and now it gets better :hellyeah:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gripweed posted:

you can't get Criterion on the PS5?

Nope

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Oh, this is fantastic.

I feel bad for not recognizing the movie that's going right now, but I'm gonna use this a bunch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right now it’s Tampopo. Goated movie

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Love Criterion Channel but their bitrate and compression is kind of poo poo and this live channel is way worse than usual. Just murdering the grain, macro blocking everywhere.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Love Criterion Channel but their bitrate and compression is kind of poo poo and this live channel is way worse than usual. Just murdering the grain, macro blocking everywhere.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
idk if it's my new TV or what, but I find the sound goes out of sync for a bit, then snaps back after a few minutes, then slowly drifts out again. It's annoying as gently caress

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I took a quick look at it earlier (just over my browser). You could rewind quite a bit, it was towards the end of Chungking Express and it looked like Breathless was on before that. I didn't really watch at any length to check for quality issues, but if they get sorted out it sounds like a fun feature. Even if I wasn't going to watch on their schedule, it could be neat to take a peek once in awhile and file something away for your next watch if it catches your eye.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Escobarbarian posted:

Right now it’s Tampopo. Goated movie

Ah, thank you. I've never seen that one. On the watchlist it goes.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Streaming is neat. I just want it to tell me the title. But cool to turn on now and watch some ghost dog.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah its a really cool service to add, but not being able to see the titles at any moment plus the lack of subtitles are hurting it a bit for me.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

checkplease posted:

Streaming is neat. I just want it to tell me the title. But cool to turn on now and watch some ghost dog.

Yeah, that's my only feedback, too.

Though, it was nice to get a little rush of recognition when Yojimbo ended and Ghost Dog started. It's nice to see that's it's not just on shuffle.

It was great to just have going at work. I thought I'd care about not understanding the movies that aren't in English, but as long as they're as broad as Police Story and Yojimbo, it actually isn't that big of a deal.

...which kind of strengthens the motif of Ghost Dog and Raymond's friendship, now that I think about it. Huh.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

hm. i never have this problem. i get much better quality on criterion than most other streaming services.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I e-mailed Criterion support about the names of the movies on 24/7 and they e-mailed me back within 24 hours with a link. :laffo:

https://whatsonnow.criterionchannel.com/

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
lol that's cool. Now they just have to combine the tech!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

lol that's cool. Now they just have to combine the tech!

I'll e-mail again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

hm. i never have this problem. i get much better quality on criterion than most other streaming services.
Where do you live? Watching Bronx Warriors and Escape From The Bronx, almost all the outdoor scenes was like viewing an image through a fine lace curtain.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

This is incredible. Finally I'm not just restreaming all my comfort shows over and over again.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In addition to the DVD and Blu-ray of Day for Night going out of print, looks like these Eclipse sets are now OOP as well:

Alexander Korda's Private Lives
Chantal Akerman in the Seventies (probably redundant now the 3-disc Blu-ray set of her work carries over all these films)
Jean Grémillon During the Occupation

Also looks like we're getting a 4K of Le samourai soon as the page has been updated with new screenshots and The Complete Mr. Arkadin might also be upgraded soon as the DVD is back in print minus the novel.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
July releases:

Black God, White Devil
Farewell My Concubine (4K)
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (4K)
Perfect Days (4K)
Risky Business (4K)
Le Samouraï (4K)

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Perfect Days was really really good.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Congratulations Mr Cruise for making it in the collection.

With movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can’t lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Speaking of, this kinda blew my mind:
https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1780297313442775547