Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReginaldWonder
Jan 22, 2005
it doesn't have to say anything

FitFortDanga posted:

Small art for the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box:

I have now seen true beauty.

Defintely getting that, but one question why are there guns on the Yojimbo cover? I don't recall there being a gun in the movie, but it's been a long time since I watched it (even though it's my favorite Kurosawa).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ReginaldWonder posted:

Defintely getting that, but one question why are there guns on the Yojimbo cover? I don't recall there being a gun in the movie, but it's been a long time since I watched it (even though it's my favorite Kurosawa).

There is a prominent pistol in Yojimbo, but I think only one.

larger image of the box:

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

ReginaldWonder posted:

One man in a pretty important role has a pistol. woops beaten

Is the new Brazil single disc worth getting over the non criterion version? I'm always on a tight budget so unless the image is much better or there are worthwhile extras I'll probably get the boring version.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

jimmynmu posted:

One man in a pretty important role has a pistol. woops beaten

Is the new Brazil single disc worth getting over the non criterion version? I'm always on a tight budget so unless the image is much better or there are worthwhile extras I'll probably get the boring version.

I haven't seen the cheaper edition, but Criterion's new transfer should be superior. DVDBeaver might have comparison shots. Also you get a Gilliam commentary, he always gives good commentary.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

lamin posted:

so does anyone know if Hidden Fortress is going to be getting a new edition? If so, I may just wait and see if they release all four movies in a box set like they did before.

There has been no word on a re-release of Hidden Fortress (most already knew Yojimbo and Sanjuro were on the way). Hidden Fortress is already anamorphic, so unless they have some other extra features, I doubt they will re-release it.

And if they did, that would be some expensive boxset!

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

zandert33 posted:

There has been no word on a re-release of Hidden Fortress (most already knew Yojimbo and Sanjuro were on the way). Hidden Fortress is already anamorphic, so unless they have some other extra features, I doubt they will re-release it.

And if they did, that would be some expensive boxset!

The existing DVD looks fantastic, even if the only extras are a George Lucas interview and a trailer. It also has a 3.0 Perspecta track.

Rock Tomahawk
Sep 17, 2003

Raised by a Cup of Coffee

FitFortDanga posted:

I haven't seen the cheaper edition, but Criterion's new transfer should be superior. DVDBeaver might have comparison shots. Also you get a Gilliam commentary, he always gives good commentary.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/brazil.htm
Viola!
It's got the new Criterion, the old Criterion, Universal's R1, Fox's R2 PAL and Fox's R4 NTSC, which ironically seems to be from Brazil...

I've got the original Criterion, but I've been thinking about picking up the 1 disc re-release for the upgraded picture and the anamorphic widescreen. Since my tv sucks though, I can't justify it right now :(

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no

Rock Tomahawk posted:

Viola!
Cello!

Rock Tomahawk posted:

I've got the original Criterion, but I've been thinking about picking up the 1 disc re-release for the upgraded picture and the anamorphic widescreen. Since my tv sucks though, I can't justify it right now :(
If you can't see the immediate value, then I'd hold off. The non-anamorphic image quality is good.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Clean, Shaven looks interesting, but is it worth getting?

nodadchad
Feb 11, 2003

Criminal Minded posted:

Some nice looking releases coming up. I'm still waiting on an announcement for Army of Shadows.

Saw this in the theatrical re-release and it looked spectacular. What a great movie, just one notch below Le Cercle Rouge.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

nodadchad posted:

Saw this in the theatrical re-release and it looked spectacular. What a great movie, just one notch below Le Cercle Rouge.

Lucky bastard. :mad: I live in some no-name town in Kansas so no such luck for me. I love Le Samourai and Le Cercle rouge, though, and would put Bob le flambeur just barely behind those two. I also want to see Le doulos.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
The monsters and madman set has apparently been split into four discs rather than two double-features. The individual cover art for each release is also now on Criterion's website, and drat, are those some cool looking covers.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I went ahead and bit the bullet on "Haxan". If everything goes right, it should arrive by/before Halloween.

Also, those new Akira Kurosawas look might tempting.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I've been very happy with the 2 Criterions (Videodrome and Last Temptation of Christ) that I've purchased so far. I need to go get Dazed and Confused. I just wish they'd do more movies I like. Not that I don't like obscure movies, but I'd like something I can get into.

Must. Get. Seven. Samurai.

rgaitan
May 12, 2005

I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick.
If I have to, I'll rob a bank to pay for it.The new Seven Samurai is AMAZING. If you even like this movie a little, it's worth it.

I'm wondering why there are no Sidney Lumet films in the Criterion collection? They can't deem to suggest that Dog Day Afternoon and Network aren't significant.

Is there anywhere that I can find the movies that are being added farther ahead than January?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

rgaitan posted:

I'm wondering why there are no Sidney Lumet films in the Criterion collection? They can't deem to suggest that Dog Day Afternoon and Network aren't significant.
It's not like Criterion can just pick up any movie they want and make a DVD out of it. That's why some titles go out of print, because Criterion loses the rights to the film. I don't know the specifics, but it's probably a studio ownership thing.

I posted:

Clean, Shaven looks interesting, but is it worth getting?
Nobody knows or has it? DOES THIS MEAN IT'S BAD?!?!!!?!!!!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

rgaitan posted:

As Cacator said, they can't just release any film they want to. They have to acquire the rights. They did release one Lumet on laserdisc, however: 12 Angry Men.

rgaitan posted:

Is there anywhere that I can find the movies that are being added farther ahead than January?

Not really, but occasionally someone at HomeTheaterForum.com or criterionforum.org will get an inside tip.

Cacator: my library just got Clean, Shaven - I'll be putting it on hold sometime soon.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If Criterion were to release 12 Angry Men I'd have to buy new underwear. Oh, the thought is so tantalizing...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Cacator posted:

Nobody knows or has it? DOES THIS MEAN IT'S BAD?!?!!!?!!!!

I haven't seen the new Criterion release yet, but I own the old disc. It's a pretty harrowing look into schizophrenia with a good lead performance and amazing sound design. I recommend at least a rental. DVDFile, though, gave it a pretty scathing review and called it the "worst film Criterion has released so far". Very very undeserved criticism, in my opinion.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
From what I've heard, it's possible that Fox will farm out some stuff from the MGM catalog they're distributing to Criterion. Not the classic pre-1985 stuff that Warner owns, but the United Artists, Embassy, Orion, Samuel Goldwyn, etc. films. This would mean we could finally see Criterion editions of The Graduate, 12 Angry Men, and Annie Hall.

Exree
Oct 7, 2000

Origami Dali posted:

I haven't seen the new Criterion release yet, but I own the old disc. It's a pretty harrowing look into schizophrenia with a good lead performance and amazing sound design. I recommend at least a rental. DVDFile, though, gave it a pretty scathing review and called it the "worst film Criterion has released so far". Very very undeserved criticism, in my opinion.

I haven't seen it yet so I can't speak to it, but KEANE (the third film by the same director and of similar subject matter) was my favorite film of 2005. Damien Lewis' performance in that movie is one of my favorite performances ever. That said, I didn't like Claire Dolan, his second film. Still really looking forward to Clean, Shaven though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I got my new Seven Samurai in and it is amazing. If anyone is considering getting it, do it now, and get it from buy.com or dvdempire.com using the 10 dollar Google Checkout discount. I was able to purchase it for only 26 dollars.

Edit: I also bought Ikiru, The Royal Tenenbaums, Spartacus, and The Silence of the Lambs (from Ebay). I can't wait until they come in the mail.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

mikeraskol posted:

Edit: I also bought Ikiru, The Royal Tenenbaums, Spartacus, and The Silence of the Lambs (from Ebay). I can't wait until they come in the mail.

I was going to ask "Didn't most of the special features from the Silence of the Lambs Criterion release get put onto the MGM Special Edition?" Turns out I was wrong. Doesn't have the commentary track done by like everyone on the film and some random text interviews with real serial killers. That commentary sounds great. Maybe I'll take a look.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

My copy of "Haxan" came in the mail today, and just in time for Halloween too. :dance:

I've been contemplating hitting Barnes & Noble for the Criterion Collection edition of "Equinox". Can anyone here attest to its awesomeness?

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

Macrame_God posted:

I've been contemplating hitting Barnes & Noble for the Criterion Collection edition of "Equinox". Can anyone here attest to its awesomeness?

I really like it, but it's not something that everyone will enjoy. Here's the trailer to satisfy your curiosity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1UlPPId-o

edit - as much as a I love the movie, the trailer is so much better. "A story that defies logic!"

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

vertov posted:

I really like it, but it's not something that everyone will enjoy. Here's the trailer to satisfy your curiosity:

edit - as much as a I love the movie, the trailer is so much better. "A story that defies logic!"

[big rear end echo]EQUINOX![/big rear end echo]

I think I'm in love. This movie just screams Halloween! Sold.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

vertov posted:

Wow, I got really interested as well.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

My copy of "Haxan" came in the mail today, and just in time for Halloween too. :dance:

B&N is going to rip you off. I've seen copies in Best Buy for $28.

I've found that Best Buy stores in major cities keep a lot of Criterions on hand. Although, I'll be impressed when I can walk into a Wal-Mart to pick up the Louis Malle box set.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Og Oggilby posted:

I've found that Best Buy stores in major cities keep a lot of Criterions on hand. Although, I'll be impressed when I can walk into a Wal-Mart to pick up the Louis Malle box set.

I use to work for Best Buy. Stores that had the upscale Magnolia Home Theater usually got sent Criterion movies to stock. From what I've seen, it's pretty random what each store gets with regards to the catalog. Suffice to say the movies have to have _some_ mainstream recognition. My store had Videodrome for $28. The employee discount didn't knock a lot off either.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Og Oggilby posted:

Best Buy only has a few Criterions and not the one I was looking for ("Equinox" of course). You might be able to find a few films in the Criterion there if they are more widely recognized ("Dazed and Confused", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", “Seven Samurai”), but the more obscure ones are out of the question.

Also, I just watched "The Equinox: A Journey Into the Supernatural" and holy crap was that cool! I can't wait to watch the re-release!

don
Jul 16, 2004

by Lowtax

amazing film. I'd never heard of Edward Yang until this and I'll definitely check out more.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

don posted:

amazing film. I'd never heard of Edward Yang until this and I'll definitely check out more.

I need to rent the Criterion and watch this again. I was fairly underwhelmed the first time, but I feel a second viewing would be more favorable. I've also seen A Brighter Summer Day and didn't care for that one either.

However, if you like Yi Yi, chances are you'll like the films of Hsiao-Hsien Hou.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion Newsletter: "Eight million stories. And we've got one of 'em."

Searching for quotes on IMDB, it'll be Jules Dassin's The Naked City.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Og Oggilby posted:

That's cool; the Image DVD is...well, an Image DVD.

Did you actually had to look up the `eight million stories' line? I thought it was one of the more recognisable quotes from cinema (well, I imagine many folks know it from the television series of the same name, but the point is the same).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

SubG posted:

That's cool; the Image DVD is...well, an Image DVD.

Did you actually had to look up the `eight million stories' line? I thought it was one of the more recognisable quotes from cinema (well, I imagine many folks know it from the television series of the same name, but the point is the same).

Hey, I don't know EVERYTHING. :v:

To be honest, Image can be great. They're always at the mercy of the smaller companies they distribute for, but if they're given prime materials - we get great DVDs. A good example is their The Crawling Eye/The Trollenberg Terror DVD. Excellent 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer of the uncut British version (with the original title) provided by Corinth Films. On the other hand, Castle Hill provided them with an awful print of You Only Live Once (while an R2 disc looks fantastic).

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Og Oggilby posted:

Hell yes! I haven't yet seen The Naked City, but Rififi and Night and the City are both great noirs, and Thieves' Highway is very good as well.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

SubG posted:

Your avatar is amazing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

vertov posted:

Your avatar is amazing.

Aha, I didn't even notice that until now..."Hot dog, hurf's a-winnin'!" What a great movie.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Criminal Minded posted:

Aha, I didn't even notice that until now..."Hot dog, hurf's a-winnin'!" What a great movie.

What film is this from? I'm trying my hardest to recognize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

WaitsUp posted:

What film is this from? I'm trying my hardest to recognize it.

I dunno about this hurf/durf take on it, but the original love/hate scene is from Night of the Hunter (later paid homage to in Do the Right Thing).