Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Genuinely, as poo poo as the Razzies are for many reasons, it's awesome to see Criterion put together a list of movies like this. The writeup about the controversial nature of "bad" movies and "low" art filled me with joy.

This must be foreshadowing the long-awaited physical Criterion release of The Room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The March lineup looks insane. There's not enough hours in the day already lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Tom Green is finally being recognized for the auteur he is.

I know they filmed a massive boat explosion for that movie specifically in order to not include that scene in the final cut, have any of the physical releases included it as a deleted scene?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Peeping Tom 4k UHD is a day one purchase

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good month although sucks that Floating Weeds isn’t a 4K

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Next month on the Channel

i finally saw Under the Cherry Moon recently on 35mm and it kicked rear end, let's go Under the Cherry Moon Critical Re-evaluation Project.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I've never seen Girlfight but I love Jennifer's Body so I'm down to watch more Karyn Kusama. Shame that the rights holders for Jennifer's Body means that'll never happen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I've never seen Girlfight but I love Jennifer's Body so I'm down to watch more Karyn Kusama. Shame that the rights holders for Jennifer's Body means that'll never happen.

Jennifer’s Body is more of an Arrow or Shout release, anyway

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

gently caress yeah, Peeping Tom in 4K Dolby Vision.

Also up for the Ozu double feature.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Definitely copping Peeping Tom.

Anyone know anything about that African triple feature?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

poo poo, I might be getting everything that month. For sure the Ozu double-feature, Peeping Tom, and Anatomy of a Fall

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Ousmane Sembene was a really good Senegalese author and director. I haven't seen any of his films so I'm more familiar with his writing work, God's Bits of Wood is an extremely good book about a community banding together for and during a railroad strike

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched The Heroic Trio earlier. That movie goes soooo fuckin hard

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anatomy of a Falls cover is awful

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Definitely copping Peeping Tom.

Xala and Ceddo are both excellent films, haven't seen the other one.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gaius Marius posted:

Anatomy of a Falls cover is awful

This might be a hot take, but I think Criterion's covers are more often bad than good.

But yeah, woof on Anatomy of a Falls's cover. That's awful.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Any big recommendations from the Gothic Noir section?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Any big recommendations from the Gothic Noir section?

My ratings for the ones I've seen:

87 When Strangers Marry
85 My Name is Julia Ross
77 Ministry of Fear
75 Woman in Hiding
74 Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
73 Lured
65 The House on Telegraph Hill
64 Undercurrent

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

GrandpaPants posted:

This might be a hot take, but I think Criterion's covers are more often bad than good.

Not a hot take.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Escobarbarian posted:

Watched The Heroic Trio earlier. That movie goes soooo fuckin hard

It whips rear end, although watching it in tyol 2024 I was struck by its seeming obsession with (general content spoiler I guess gratuitous violence against children?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Those kids did have a taste for human flesh now though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

checkplease posted:

Those kids did have a taste for human flesh now though.

Something about stones and glass houses

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

RichterIX posted:

It whips rear end, although watching it in tyol 2024 I was struck by its seeming obsession with (general content spoiler I guess gratuitous violence against children?

That era of China honestly just didn’t give a poo poo. If you’ve ever see Righting Wrongs you see a whole family kids included get bombed in their apartment there’s a ton of other Hong Kong action movies where they really just don’t shy away from killing kids.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The_Rob posted:

That era of China honestly just didn’t give a poo poo. If you’ve ever see Righting Wrongs you see a whole family kids included get bombed in their apartment there’s a ton of other Hong Kong action movies where they really just don’t shy away from killing kids.

I think what's most alarming in Heroic Trio (again spoiled more for content than for plot) the protracted shot of the kids writhing in agony and pissing all over the place

It sounds like I am ragging on the movie and I'm really not, I said in the phys. media thread it basically got me into the genre single-handedly, but I'm guessing the version I saw on TNT or whatever didn't have some of this stuff and when I was watching it on DVD I was I guess a little less intellectually curious and now I kind of wonder what the thought process was behind that shot. It almost feels like a cultural reference that's going over my head because it's weirdly out of place.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Rob posted:

I cannot recommend Righting Wrongs often enough, I loving love it.

Depending on which cut you watch, it even ends with the hero of the movie, having defeated the villains and fulfilled his purpose, falling to his death and bleeding out in the ocean as credits and theme song play over shots of his body.

Yuen Biao rules :allears:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Depending on which cut you watch, it even ends with the hero of the movie, having defeated the villains and fulfilled his purpose, falling to his death and bleeding out in the ocean as credits and theme song play over shots of his body.

Yeah I got the vinegar syndrome blu ray and it’s got the Hong Kong cut, the mandarin cut and the American cut. I know the 88 Film version has an ending randomizer which I find pretty funny.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite cut by far is the one where this (except for the credits part) happens, and then a ship comes by, the women onboard notice the guy pretty clearly bleeding out and are like "we gotta save him omg!!" And the one guy on the ship is like "nah, we're here for a good time, why should our fun be ruined" and turns the ship around and leaves

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Got The Tales of Hoffmann, Barry Lyndon, and Tokyo Olympiad in the flash sale.

Had a bunch of codes saved up, so mondo savings even with the pricey Canadian shipping! :greatgift:

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
reminder that coupons stack on these sales (I got Rahomon and Chimes at Midnight)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Rooney McNibnug posted:

reminder that coupons stack on these sales (I got Rahomon and Chimes at Midnight)

Yeah I didn’t realize I had two ten dollar gift certificates. So it was a nice surprise to stack them.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Got Pinocchio, Afire, The Roaring Twenties, and Blast of Silence. Only seen Pinocchio.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Got The Tales of Hoffmann, Barry Lyndon, and Tokyo Olympiad in the flash sale.

Had a bunch of codes saved up, so mondo savings even with the pricey Canadian shipping! :greatgift:

What's coupons, precious? I ordered from Unobstructed View which is not cheap at all and their website sucks poo poo but still the cheapest I can get up here.

I got all 4Ks of Heroic Trio, Lost Highway, Branded to Kill and Le Cercle Rouge with the last three being upgrades from DVDs.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

What's coupons, precious? I ordered from Unobstructed View which is not cheap at all and their website sucks poo poo but still the cheapest I can get up here.

Criterion periodically (once or twice a year?) emails discount codes to their customers. And if you're a Criterion Channel subscriber, you get even more codes.

They only work on the American site, though, which means $23 USD shipping to Canada, so you really gotta wait for the sales.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 28, 2024

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Criterion hasn't sent me any codes in years, and I just re-subscribed to the Criterion Channel. They're probably mad I don't spend $300 during flash sales anymore.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You get the codes for being subscribed to the Channel so that makes sense I guess

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I had gift money from the holidays leftover, so I splurged.

Arsenic and Old Lace blu-ray
Targets blu-ray
Trainspotting 4k
Thief blu-ray
The Qatsi Trilogy blu-ray
Female Trouble blu-ray
The Royal Tenenbaums blu-ray

I had a handful of codes available, too, so that was a real nice discount.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

VoodooXT posted:

Criterion hasn't sent me any codes in years, and I just re-subscribed to the Criterion Channel. They're probably mad I don't spend $300 during flash sales anymore.

I get like 4 or 5 a year from them.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I held back and only got the Videodrome 4K, as the $10 coupon paid for shipping, but if the rumors of their upcoming release of Bound are true I may be going on quite the binge next sale as there were at least three releases I held back on this time.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Had enough coupons to get both Pinocchio and Last Waltz 4ks for just $10 total. Make sure to find that $20 birthday coupon.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

quote:

HEROIC TRIO / EXECUTIONERS(4K)
MEAN STREET (4K+BR)
RAGING BULL (4K+BR)
BREATHLESS (4K+BR)
WINGS OF DESIRE (4K+BR)
BLOW OUT (4K+BR)
FISHER KING (4K+BR)
ADVENTURES OF BARON (4K+BR)
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD(4K+BR
MCCABE & MRS. MILLER (4K+BR)
BLOOD SIMPLE (4K+BR)
KUROSAWA'S DREAMS (4K+BR)
MILDRED PIERCE (4K+BR)
DOUBLE INDEMNITY (4K+BR)
MALCOLM X (4K+BR)

:gonk::gonk::gonk:

I had been slacking on keeping with with Criterion releases, especially their 4Ks. In addition to what I already have I think this mostly catches me up finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I got Crash during the last sale--I've never seen it, and it hasn't been on streaming for awhile, so I finally caved. I'm re-reading the novel first and then taking the plunge.