Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You can preorder them at a discount at http://www.dvdplanet.com

Which is incidentally the same company as DeepDiscount, although the shipping is more expensive.

lastclearchance posted:

Certainly not! I am merely making oblique reference to the fact that the man who identifies the killer (whom I always think of as "M" because of the chalk mark and also because I can never remember the character's name) is blind, and thus has not seen M, but has heard things. Which, if you are a fan of Grieg, might be considered "good".

Don't you think that's an incredibly vague thing to find funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Cacator posted:

Don't you think that's an incredibly vague thing to find funny?

I didn't think so when I posted it but I'm beginning to be convinced otherwise.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Ace in the Hole is coming in July, according to Criterion's producers. Now people are speculating that Wings has been licensed, but I doubt it. Then again, two other Best Picture winners have received Criterion releases (Rebecca and Hamlet).

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Does Critereon have any plans of releasing If...? Because apparently there's no DVD release for it whatsoever, but the two or three people I know who have seen it said it was wonderful. I know it used to be on youtube, but I can't find it anymore, sooo..

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
The word on the street is that they're releasing it in June, so the actual announcement should happen next week. There's also going to be a R2 PAL release from Paramount, which I think will be available this month.

It is a great movie. I have it in my top ten for the ymdb thread.

edit - The UK version will also be out in June.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Cacator posted:

Which is incidentally the same company as DeepDiscount, although the shipping is more expensive.

Well DeepDiscount doesn't ship to Canada anymore so gently caress them. I need some recommendations, however: What is better for a blind buy, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Man Bites Dog, or Night and the City? I'm not really that familiar with Roeg (I've seen part of Don't Look Now) or the guys who did Man Bites Dog, and the only Dassin I've seen is The Naked City (decent, not noirish enough for my taste), but I'm in the mood for something different.

edit: personally I'm leaning towards The Man Who Fell to Earth but I've read so many mixed reviews that it's making it hard for me to decide.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 9, 2007

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I can't speak for the other two, but I'm a big fan of Night and the City. The Naked City (haven't yet seen it, but will as soon as the DVD hits), from everything I hear, has a very documentary-like feel...Night and the City is nothing like that. It's nightmarishly stylized; extremely high-contrast black-and-white, with shadows lurking around every corner and behind every building. It's one of the best looking pictures ever.

I absolutely love film noir, though, so if you're not as big on it as I am, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I finally took a plunge that I've been meaning to for quite some time now and ordered John Cassavetes: Five Films.

FordTimelord
Aug 11, 2004

Cacator posted:

Well DeepDiscount doesn't ship to Canada anymore so gently caress them. I need some recommendations, however: What is better for a blind buy, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Man Bites Dog, or Night and the City?

edit: personally I'm leaning towards The Man Who Fell to Earth but I've read so many mixed reviews that it's making it hard for me to decide.

Man Bites Dog is my favorite film... it's about as dark as comedy gets. It's not a serial killer movie that romanticizes violence, it's treated more like watching a door-to-door salesman do his job, and the filmmakers are keenly aware of how dull that could be. Dry, dark, and evil comedy.

I wouldn't suggest Man Who Fell to Earth unless you're a huge Bowie fan, or have a lot of patience for little payoff, because there's a whole-lotta-not-much-going-on in that movie. There's some interesting scenes and interactions with the modern earth world, but on the whole it feels like a cross between a B-Movie and a David Lynch film.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cacator posted:

Well DeepDiscount doesn't ship to Canada anymore so gently caress them. I need some recommendations, however: What is better for a blind buy, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Man Bites Dog, or Night and the City? I'm not really that familiar with Roeg (I've seen part of Don't Look Now) or the guys who did Man Bites Dog, and the only Dassin I've seen is The Naked City (decent, not noirish enough for my taste), but I'm in the mood for something different.

I wouldn't say any of those three is a good blind buy, but Night and the City would be my preference.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I watched "When a Woman Ascends the Stairs" last night, and wow, what an incredible film.

Lovers of Japanese cinema, this is a must buy!

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I just went and bought the multidisc Brazil on Deep Discount. Unfortunately it's out of stock right now :(, but I decided it was worth the wait to lock in the discount price :signings: . Ships 3/19. It looks like some other Criterions are also on back order. Thanks guys for the heads up. I wish this site had some of the out of print ones like Silence of the Lambs, but I'll take what I got.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

LaptopGun posted:

I just went and bought the multidisc Brazil on Deep Discount. Unfortunately it's out of stock right now :(, but I decided it was worth the wait to lock in the discount price :signings: . Ships 3/19. It looks like some other Criterions are also on back order. Thanks guys for the heads up. I wish this site had some of the out of print ones like Silence of the Lambs, but I'll take what I got.

Have fun watching Love Conquers All!

Seriously though, great purchase.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Does anybody hate some of the earlier Criterion releases?

I just picked up In the Mood For Love. The transfer and audio are pretty good, but the DVD menus were thrown together shoddily (enough that it makes navigation uncomfortable) and the packing was subpar at best.

On top of that, the subtitles were severely lacking. There were a couple of missed captions and poorly translated phrases.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Zisky posted:

Does anybody hate some of the earlier Criterion releases?

I just picked up In the Mood For Love. The transfer and audio are pretty good, but the DVD menus were thrown together shoddily (enough that it makes navigation uncomfortable) and the packing was subpar at best.

On top of that, the subtitles were severely lacking. There were a couple of missed captions and poorly translated phrases.

I just watched Black Narcissus, and there was often an incredibly annoying flicker to it, as if someone was slowly turning the contrast up and down a little bit.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Slackerish posted:

Have fun watching Love Conquers All!

Seriously though, great purchase.

I couldn't justify buying the single disc one. At those prices I figured I might as well get the 2 disc set. Plus it came out to like the normal price of the single disc set anyway.

Ok I admit it. I really want to see that Love Conquers All trainwreck.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I ordered a few things in the sale: Rififi, Beauty and the Beast, and the Monsters and Madmen set. By spreading out the orders and using two google checkout ten dollar off bonuses, the total came to $69.91. Pretty darn good, considering on amazon the Monsters and Madmen set is going for $68.99 on it's own.

Anyway, I'm considering one more order, I've been contemplating that Olivier's Shakespeare box set. I really love Shakespeare work but I haven't seen any of these films, so I really don't know. Fires on a Plain sounds pretty interesting as well.

I also can't decide if I should pre-order the Early Bergman box set from Eclipse. The local Fry's usually gets Criterion stuff the day it comes out, but I'm worried it will be way more expensive than the pre-order; on the other hand, I don't want to wait six years for the pre-order to come. The last title I pre-ordered was The Virgin Spring from DVDPlanet and it didn't get to me until three weeks after the release date.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I decided to go with Man Bites Dog, considering I've been meaning to see it for a while and the other two just sort of popped up while browsing. I also ordered Bob le Flambeur (backordered), The Phantom of Liberty, Naked Lunch, and Traffic.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

zeroordie posted:

Anyway, I'm considering one more order, I've been contemplating that Olivier's Shakespeare box set. I really love Shakespeare work but I haven't seen any of these films, so I really don't know. Fires on a Plain sounds pretty interesting as well.

I got to see parts of Hamlet for my senior year of high school Brit Lit class. I liked it enough to go out and rent the VHS (I think that or Christopher Walken's Macebeth in 1970's Burger King :) was the last VHS I ever rented). I got to be honest, I thought Laurence Olivier was fantastic as Hamlet. However he was kind of "off kilter" to me in one scene. It's weird but it's like there are two different movies. Hamlet undergoes seemingly random levels of depression. I really didn't like the "To be or not to be" scene- far to melancholy even for Hamlet. Mind you the rest of the movie is fantastic, but this one scene really hurt my impression of the movie as a whole. I got to be honest my favorite movie version is Ken Branah's (boy I can't spell) from the mid 90's. Luckily Warner is bringing that to DVD this summer.

I have no idea about the rest of his movies. I will say this about Olivier- he's the one guy I've seen act (or simply read) Shakespeare who manages to make every word out of his mouth sound and FEEL real. Like this isn't scripting- like he's the Prince of Denmark musing, ploting, lamenting, and screaming in real time. That alone makes him the best Hamlet I've seen.

So yeah, this is a long winded go ahead and buy it.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.
it's times like these DDD sales that i don't feel so bad about buying Yojimbo and Sanjuro yet again.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

LaptopGun posted:

So yeah, this is a long winded go ahead and buy it.

Wow, thank you for doing all of that, I really appreciate that.

I went ahead and ordered the Shakespeare set and then borrowed my friend's credit card to order Spirit of the Beehive for $16.79 after shipping, because that one seems so interesting.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The newsletter reveals nothing except a confirmation of Ace in the Hole. Allegedly the June titles will be announced sometime today.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I found this on CriterionForum.com:

quote:

A month ago I sent Criterion an e-mail asking if they had planned any Melville titles to release (this is before they announced Army of Shadows.) Anyway, here's the email:

"Dear Martin,

We have a few Melville titles on the schedule at the moment - his brilliant ARMY OF SHADOWS is due out in stores in May, and LES ENFANTS TERRIBLES is due out in July.

Thanks for your interest.

Best regards,
Kim Hendrickson"

:dance:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
June titles:

387 - La Jetée and Sans soleil

388 - The Two of Us

389 - WR: Mysteries of the Organism

390 - Sweet Movie

391 - If...

390 is actually kinda :nws: :raise:

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 16, 2007

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I think both of the Makavejev covers are pushing what could appear in a DVD store bin, but more power to them I guess. They're both appropriate for the films they represent, although I think that the one for 'Mysteries of the Organism' looks little choppy at the moment. Hopefully they'll clean up the image before it's released. Still, looks like a great month for Criterion. I'm not too keen on 'The Two of Us', but I'll watch all of the rest. And thank god 'If....' is finally going to be available.

edit - The "reconstructed" commentary on 'Mysteries' sounds interesting. I really like Durgnat as far as critics go, although I don't think I've read his monograph on the film.

vertov fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 16, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

D'oh, beaten!

I loving HATE Sweet Movie with a white-hot passion. It's sophomoric, "let's see how many buttons we can push" crap. Still, I might rent it just to see what Makavejev has to say for himself. Also I've wanted to see WR out of morbid curiosity (and because it's on the "They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?" list).

The Two of Us: I'm not crazy about Michel Simon, but it looks interesting.

Won't mind seeing If... again, and really looking forward to a Malcolm McDowell commentary track.

Frankly, I think La Jetée is a touch overrated, but I've wanted to see San Soleil for some time.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

quote:

Dear Bobby,

We are currently working on DRUNKEN ANGEL. Should be in stores late summer.
Thanks for your note.

All best,
Kim Hendrickson

Sweet.

-BigEvil-
Sep 3, 2006
"He'll see the Big Board!"
God, I love Criterion. I've been wanting to see Drunken Angel forever.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

-BigEvil- posted:

I've been wanting to see Drunken Angel forever.

Same here. It's one of the few "major" Kurosawas I have yet to see. If they released Record of a Living Being and No Regrets For My Youth, I'd be all set. I tried watching the import Drunken Angel (on Mei Ah, I think) but the subtitles were too horrid to withstand.

edit:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That is one classy looking cover. Makes me wanna blind-buy it.

(I blind buy everything anyway.)

Dr. Klahn
Nov 24, 2003

hi

Criminal Minded posted:

That is one classy looking cover. Makes me wanna blind-buy it.

(I blind buy everything anyway.)
If... is a fantastic film, you should definitely get it. Now all we need is a DVD of O Lucky Man!

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Dr. Klahn posted:

If... is a fantastic film, you should definitely get it. Now all we need is a DVD of O Lucky Man!

Hopefully WB will time it with If.... since they already said it's coming out this year. I watched the first 7-8 minutes of If.... on YouTube and this is yet another Criterion I'll blind buy. Nice art, too. (Also, O Lucky Man looks interesting from the "sheep scene" I saw on YouTube)

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 16, 2007

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

No trouble at all, zeroordie. I hope you enjoy your purchases.

I would like to see La Jennee, if for no other reason that it inspired 12 Monkeys (amoung other things). Sadly I'm not thrilled by any other of these upcomming releases. Sorry, I must be an uncultured stupid American. :tinfoil: Though I hope you guys enjoy them.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
WR was one of the Janus films that I missed during the series that played here, but I didn't hear anything at all good from the people I talked to about it who did see it. Maybe I'll give it a chance anyway since I feel bad about not seeing everything.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

LaptopGun posted:

I couldn't justify buying the single disc one. At those prices I figured I might as well get the 2 disc set. Plus it came out to like the normal price of the single disc set anyway.

Ok I admit it. I really want to see that Love Conquers All trainwreck.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm prettty sure that if you stop the movie right after they float out of the bed into the sky you get the Love Conquers all ending. They may have cut out other stuff before that though, I dunno.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Slackerish posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm prettty sure that if you stop the movie right after they float out of the bed into the sky you get the Love Conquers all ending. They may have cut out other stuff before that though, I dunno.

What do you mean? The Love Conquers All version is a completely different cut of the film, edited differently, using different takes, and removing a ton of poo poo. It's not just the ending. The entire film is ruined.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Slackerish posted:

Oh ho ho. That's only the tip of the iceberg, my man.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Ordered The Naked City earlier. :)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It's "If...."! Since seeing it on TV a good few years ago it's slightly bugged me every time I've seen people treating the dots as a three dot ellipsis. There's four!

But I'm very glad it's finally getting a DVD release because I really enjoyed it.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

FitFortDanga posted:

Oh ho ho. That's only the tip of the iceberg, my man.

Really? What are some other scenes cut out?

Please say they at least had the restaurant bombing, that scene ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Slackerish posted:

Really? What are some other scenes cut out?

Please say they at least had the restaurant bombing, that scene ruled.

Really, you can't fathom just how bad the whole thing is. The scene you refer to is edited almost out of existence; the bombing outside the TV shop looks victimless; when DeNiro is asked why he does it, instead of whistling and ignoring the question, a badly dubbed voice explains, in stultifying detail, exactly why he does it and spells out the moral of the film; the whole subplot about bringing the receipt to the wife is gone (in fact, I think almost every mention of Buttle or whatever that guy's name was is gone entirely)...it really boggles the mind. It's fascinating to watch, but far from good.

Once you've seen it, you owe it to yourself to watch the documentary on disc two called "The Battle over Brazil". GREAT look at what happened and why.

Better description of the changes, spoilered for those who haven't seen it:

The IMDb posted:

* When the ministry building is blown up the piece of paper that is shown is a 'deleted' form for Harry Tuttle.
* There is lots of added dialogue (sometimes with peoples backs to camera, others more obvious) making it more clear about the existence of terrorists, and Tuttles involvement.
* The explosion at the restaurant opens the film and has none of the dialogue leading up to it, beginning only with Shirley offering Sam the salt.
* Extended, more romantic dialogue between Sam and Jill after Tuttle switches the sewage and air pipes at Sam's flat.
* You don't see the guard on fire when the Police vehicle crashes during the chase.
* It is never stated that Buttle is dead, only asked by his wife.
* Lots of the swearing was replaced with tamer dialogue, often very badly.
* The scene between Jill and Sam described above is included. Afterwards, only Sam is captured. Jill is not killed.
* The film ends with a brief sequence where Jill wakes Sam in their country hideaway. Sam says "I don't dream anymore," looks at a picture on the wall of himself wearing the dream-sequence wings, and the film ends with them flying up into the heavens.
* Many of the fantasy sequences are missing, or slightly different.
* After Sam blows up the Ministry of Information, a piece of paper flutters down. It's got a wanted message for Sam on it.
* Extended dialogue between Jill and Sam outside his apartment, and while in the truck.
* Extended dialogue in the scene where Sam meets Jack at Information Retrieval, and Jack has his daughter in his office.
* A cut of Casablanca featuring the line "Here's lookin' at you, kid." Right after Sam leaves Kurtzmann's office.
* Jack says "You look like you've seen a ghost, Sam..." to Sam at the entrance of the Ministry of Records when Sam sees Jill Layton.