Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

So is the entire collection, sans oop titles, available on Criterion Channel? It only says "the largest selection anywhere", not complete, which gives me pause. I remember there were several times I'd want to watch a title on Hulu and find out it wasn't there.

It's the same deal as Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

No. They're supposed to be rotating films weekly or something, it's vague. There are a shitload of movies up but it's not literally everything.

The rotating films thing only applies to base Film Struck. Paying extra for the Criterion Channel means access to the larger library of titles, like how it is now on Hulu. It's not actually that confusing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Parallax posted:

The rotating films thing only applies to base Film Struck. Paying extra for the Criterion Channel means access to the larger library of titles, like how it is now on Hulu. It's not actually that confusing.

If you say so.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Origami Dali posted:

So is the entire collection, sans oop titles, available on Criterion Channel? It only says "the largest selection anywhere", not complete, which gives me pause. I remember there were several times I'd want to watch a title on Hulu and find out it wasn't there.

No. One big one I noticed missing is Videodrome.

And there's some OOP titles that are available like Silence Of The Lambs, The Unbearable Lightness Of Being and Mona Lisa (which I guess are licensed from movie companies the same way that Netflix pays for access)

And there's some Criterion titles that haven't been physically released yet like Stalker and The Mirror.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 2, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't see any Universal properties yet, but I bet it'll happen eventually if they got MGM and Miramax on board.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Since you can pick preorders for B&N, I picked up Akira Kurosawa's Dreams and Dekalog. I literally have no idea what to expect from Dekalog, it's basically a blind buy, but based on comments in here from the initial Criterion sale in October it sounds like a great release.

I just finished it last night. It's really great, great scores, great acting, great cinematography, great writing, very powerful human drama, subtle connections between the episodes, and it's even sometimes very funny. Good poo poo for sure, just take your time with it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

david crosby posted:

. Good poo poo for sure, just take your time with it.

I plan to watch each film twice before moving on to the next

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

blue squares posted:

I plan to watch each film twice before moving on to the next

I have a gut reaction, from reading your posts in the literature thread, to instantly disagree with you, even when you're saying something totally reasonable haha

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lmao that is actually real

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DumbLand

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Dumbland is worth it for literally everything.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zandert33 posted:

If you happen to include in your order $40 worth of non-sale items you can use the coupon BNRMN20 which will apply 20% off to your entire purchase including any Criterion purchases.

drat coupon expired. I'll wait for the next one.

Trying to get the dekalog but hoping to spend closer to 40 dollars for it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It doesn't work online, but there's a 15% off coupon for one item
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobil...cctxe8HgnazZ_Qw

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Egbert Souse posted:

It doesn't work online, but there's a 15% off coupon for one item
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobil...cctxe8HgnazZ_Qw

Dammit, it expires a day after LW&C comes out...

I know they've applied discounts to pre-purchase items before...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The 15% off one item coupons doesn't work on discounted Criterion.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I think I'm gonna wait and see if they do that 30% off one item coupon for black friday.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That's the first time I've seen a BN coupon specifically mention a Criterion exemption in the fine print. Guessing this is going to be standard from now on.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I think it started over the spring, cause that was the first time they refused to use the coupon for me.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Does that mean I can no longer use my sister-in-law's BN member phone number to get an addition 10% off Criterion sale buys? I hope not! That's my lifeblood to keep me from just saying "gently caress it" and going to Amazon.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cromlech posted:

Does that mean I can no longer use my sister-in-law's BN member phone number to get an addition 10% off Criterion sale buys? I hope not! That's my lifeblood to keep me from just saying "gently caress it" and going to Amazon.

No, member's discount is always in effect

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

I'm watching Pan's Labyrinth. it's better than I remembered, and also when the fascists walk around, the foley artist or sound editor or whoever put really loud leather squeaking sounds in the mix, like almost louder than anything else that's going on. It's really funny and a reminder that fascists have bizarre repressed sexual urges, which is manifested by them brutalizing other ppl and being leather daddies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Another favorite commentary to add to my list: the Godzilla commentary by David Kalat. Really insightful and entertaining.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

david crosby posted:

I'm watching Pan's Labyrinth. it's better than I remembered, and also when the fascists walk around, the foley artist or sound editor or whoever put really loud leather squeaking sounds in the mix, like almost louder than anything else that's going on. It's really funny and a reminder that fascists have bizarre repressed sexual urges, which is manifested by them brutalizing other ppl and being leather daddies.

Seeing it on blu ray for the first time, the movie is definitely even more beautiful than I remembered. When it first came out I was a lot more focused on the special effects and the various creatures, but this time I really noticed the overall look of the film and the how amazing the color palette is. There's a ton of great looking shots that don't feature monsters or fairies or anything like that.

There's a really interesting interview/discussion on the supplements with Del Toro and a fantasy writer that every Del Toro fan should watch. The stuff he talks about in it goes way beyond Pan's Labyrinth, he basically lays out his whole philosophy on filmmaking and storytelling in general.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Another favorite commentary to add to my list: the Godzilla commentary by David Kalat. Really insightful and entertaining.

I've thought about buying it, and this post is making me even more interested. The Criterion.com trailer is also really good.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

blue squares posted:

I've thought about buying it, and this post is making me even more interested. The Criterion.com trailer is also really good.

What's really cool is he does separate commentaries for each version of the movie!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

What's really cool is he does separate commentaries for each version of the movie!

Welp I'm sold! I love commentaries!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion put the brand new Gaumont restoration of The Passion of Joan of Arc on FilmStruck.

You'd swear they found the negative from how perfect it looks.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Seconding the Godzilla commentaries (for both of them) - they're some of my favorite commentaries ever.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

new Gaumont restoration of The Passion of Joan of Arc

:jackbud:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have to stay out of this thread because now its just going to be all about how awesome the new service is and I won't be getting it at least for a few months. I'm extremely jealous.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Basebf555 posted:

I have to stay out of this thread because now its just going to be all about how awesome the new service is and I won't be getting it at least for a few months. I'm extremely jealous.

I'm in Australia and we're likely never going to get it due to region licensing :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

I'm in Australia and we're likely never going to get it due to region licensing :(

It was pretty depressing to log onto my Hulu account and see literally 100+ films on my list about to expire. My watchlist will be completely gutted and they even lost the rights to a few of my favorite t.v. shows recently, so I'm pretty sure my Hulu sub is about to be cancelled.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion put the brand new Gaumont restoration of The Passion of Joan of Arc on FilmStruck.

You'd swear they found the negative from how perfect it looks.

Does this mean a Blu-ray could be coming down the pike? I've been holding off on it.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Does this mean a Blu-ray could be coming down the pike? I've been holding off on it.

Absolutely. It has the same new Gaumont logo as the restored The Immortal Story.

It has French intertitles, too.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I watched Short Cuts today. I have been very eager to see it, mostly because of how often I hear that Magnolia is heavily influenced by Short Cuts. Magnolia is my favorite film. I loved Short Cuts, but it did not dethrone Magnolia. It was a broader film, with more diverse characters, but did not reach the emotional heights of Magnolia.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Short Cuts and Magnolia are interesting sides of the same coin - Short Cuts is jazz, Magnolia is opera.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I told myself I'd go easy this sale, but :shrug:

Dr. Strangelove
A Touch of Zen
Pan's Labyrinth
Blood Simple
Eating Raoul

Pan's and Blood Simple are blind buys but I've really liked all the del Toro and Coen movies I've seen so far, Zen is a total blind buy, and Raoul was suggested by my dad. Hoping to pick up Lone Wolf & Cub on tuesday too.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I told myself I'd go easy this sale, but :shrug:

Dr. Strangelove
A Touch of Zen
Pan's Labyrinth
Blood Simple
Eating Raoul

Pan's and Blood Simple are blind buys but I've really liked all the del Toro and Coen movies I've seen so far, Zen is a total blind buy, and Raoul was suggested by my dad. Hoping to pick up Lone Wolf & Cub on tuesday too.

After Eating Raoul, dont forget to follow up the Blands in their reprised role in Chopping Mall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I don't really have the money to spare right now, so I just ended up getting For All Mankind and the Essential Art House version of Lord of the Flies to bring me over the $25 threshold.

Lord of the Flies I haven't seen since probably 8th grade, but I remember it as being a remarkably faithful adaptation of the book, and of course I was then of the mindset that faithful = good. I wonder how it holds up for me.