Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I would like to visit an alternate universe where Crash was directed by Peter Greenaway, but I guess that’s basically what Zed and Two Noughts is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I finally saw The Cook, The Thief... last year after wanting to see it for decades. I don't think I could ever watch it again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cacator posted:

I finally saw The Cook, The Thief... last year after wanting to see it for decades. I don't think I could ever watch it again.

I was 8 when I first saw it lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
goated movie

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Cacator posted:

I want to watch it again (its great)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I loved it so much when I saw it last year, and it's one of the movies I've thought about the most since. I seek out the music and think about little scenes constantly. It is tied with American Movie and Barton Fink as my "dream" Criterion release. Hearing that they teased it once only to never release it breaks my heart.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A couple other Greenaways got the restoration treatment recently but I don't remember what the deal is with their home releases. I caught the restoration of The Draughtsman's Contract on the big screen a year or two ago.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My white whale is still The Devils, followed by more Obayashi.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

With Criterion making an effort to do more queer cinema, maybe they'll be the ones to finally give us D.E.B.S. on bluray

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Criterion…4K B•A•P•S when????

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just wanna say this is my favorite thread title on the forums

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I want to watch it again (its great)

A friend warned me that Greenaway's movies were "academic" before I watched it and he wasn't wrong, it was definitely a fascinatingly well made film (and Helen Mirren is fantastic) but Michael Gambon's character is so unrelentingly unpleasant he makes Frank Booth look like Betty White.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Some of Greenaway's films are more tedious and pedantic than others. otoh Drowning By Numbers is a fun little joint, for example, feels like a Wes Andersen inspiration

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Michael Gambon is immense in TCTTHWAHL. Utterly detestable and relentlessly so, certainly, but the performance is so powerful. It's like watching a car crash. It all plays well with the aesthetics of excess and of grim poverty. I can absolutely understand why it's a single-watch for some but it's too interesting for me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I can definitely see it falling under the "That was amazing, and I never want to see it again" category for a lot of people.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Surprised no one has posted this yet but The New York Times did a article on them (free for goons)

Sure, It Won an Oscar. But Is It Criterion? https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/29/...e-android-share

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I really hope Tár gets a CC print at some point, that movie rules

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was the best movie of that year

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

arbiter of normie taste

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

all the cool people have switched over to Vinegar Syndrome

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
lol from that article Michael Bay is surprised that Criterion still exists past the laser disc days.

Get him to the closet.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Criterion can’t be the arbiter of taste because Tiny Furniture got a release.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

arbiter of paste

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

checkplease posted:

lol from that article Michael Bay is surprised that Criterion still exists past the laser disc days.

Get him to the closet.

I could make a case for Ambulance and maybe Pain & Gain

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

trilobite terror posted:

I could make a case for Ambulance and maybe Pain & Gain

You could make the case for The Rock, Armageddon, and Bad Boys.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 1, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think I will not make either of those cases.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think I will not make either of those cases.

You would do it as one of those auteur collections. Do 90s Emmerich films too.

Need a criterion of the best 70s disaster films too. Airport, Posiedon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquakes, Black Sunday, and The Swarm.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mr Hootington posted:

Need a criterion of the best 70s disaster films too. Airport, Posiedon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquakes, Black Sunday, and The Swarm.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I was going to say they should add Bays first small indie feature like with Nolan and Following, but then saw Bays first film was Bad Boys followed by the Rock.

So 4ks of both when.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Release The Island, prove Francis York Morgan right. :colbert:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Some of Greenaway's films are more tedious and pedantic than others. otoh Drowning By Numbers is a fun little joint, for example, feels like a Wes Andersen inspiration

His run of films in the 80s in general is amazingly playful.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

checkplease posted:

I was going to say they should add Bays first small indie feature like with Nolan and Following, but then saw Bays first film was Bad Boys followed by the Rock.

So 4ks of both when.

Just add I Would Do Anything For Love But I Won’t Do That to the collection. One Blu-ray dedicated to that music video.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Heath posted:

I really hope Tár gets a CC print at some point, that movie rules

Yeah that was the best movie of that year easily.

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Yeah that was the best movie of that year easily.

As great as Tár was - I’d have a hard time putting it over Aftersun, that movie loving wrecked me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Are they still doing exchanges on the Citizen Kane 4Ks? Mine has a little hitch on it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Suddenly cuts to Will Smith giving pickup advice in the middle of the play

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Escobarbarian posted:

Suddenly cuts to Will Smith giving pickup advice in the middle of the play

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
June titles:

Blue Velvet (4K)
Bound (4K)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (4K)
Querelle
The Underground Railroad
Victims of Sin

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm absolutely delighted about Bound. I have the Olive release but I'm willing to upgrade. It was one of my wishlist releases. Definitely upgrading Blue Velvet as well. Very cool month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy to see stuff like Underground Railroad (streaming-exclusive miniseries) keep getting physical releases