Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That is good news regarding Blu-Ray. Not that I own a Bluray player but I like to hear that they're moving into HD slowly but surely. Also I just wanted to mention that I've owned the Beastie Boys Anthology for a while now but I spent last night going through all the different Audio configurations and playing around with them and jesus that was the most fun I've had with a DVD in a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Are there any good resources/places to find Criterion DVD's that are no longer in print besides scouring ebay? I suppose this is kind of a dumb question considering that most people who have many of the very sought after Criterion DVD's won't be giving them up, but I am looking for a few titles and have had a hell of a time figuring out any other way to get them. Am I screwed?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
On a side note, the documentary Hoop Dreams (which has a great Criterion release) is now on Hulu...so anyone who has not seen it and wants to see one of the most compelling documentaries of all time, you should go check it out.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The worst part about The Rock on criterion was not that it merely exists. I happen to enjoy it quite a lot. The problem is that the disc itself was pretty much bare bones as far as extras go and the transfer was sub par.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Thanks for the heads up on the sale. BAH! I hope this sale goes through this coming weekend. I don't get paid until friday.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I really thought this was going to link to So Quiet On the Canine Front.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I guess this might be obvious to some of you but libraries often have great movie collections for free!! I was at my local library and they have a surprising number of Criterion DVDs. Many of them are movies that were not super high on my criterion buy list but ones I was interested in none the less. I just checked out Playtime by Tati and was quite happy!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Glad the redesign is done. Most of those essays that were linked to the films on the specific film webpage are back.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Well I got Harlan County USA the other day and really enjoyed it. While not exactly packed with features, the commentary was great and so were the features. I would have liked for them to go back to Harlan County.

In fact, I really wish Criterion would take on more documentaries as their treatments for F for Fake, Hoop Dreams, and Harlan County USA have all been pretty drat amazing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I thought the Zodiac 2-Disc release was one of the more comprehensive "Special Edition" DVD's of the last few years. If you're a visual effects nerd you can really get into a lot of the work they did in constructing entire sets. You also got a lot of behind the scenes footage of Fincher and crew scouting locations and just general production work.

I always hate it when in behind the scenes documentary/supplementary pieces for DVD's they just say "Yeah so we did a lot of work using CG" (Cut to lots of random renders and some guy standing in front of a computer saying how hard it was) but then never really explaining what they actually did.

The case for Benjamin Button is a bit of blah and hell, I would have preferred no pictures and just text. I'm going to get this though because I want to see the supplementary stuff and I'm sure the commentary will be very good.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
This might just be plain old rumor mongering but I was at my local Barnes and Noble (Santa Monica) and while I was browsing the Criterion dvd selection which is really good at this store the guy working there mentioned that allegedly he believed starting next week all the Criterion DVD's at Barnes would be 50 percent off. Even with the markup from the store this is still a better deal than you can find off of Amazon.

So I'd just keep my eyes peeled on your local Barnes and Noble over the next week or two to see if this comes true.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Origami Dali posted:

:words:

Holy poo poo thats good. I'll be stocking up.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I just bought Tanner 88, The Documentaries of Louis Malle, and The Seventh Seal.

I'm going back in a few days too. What I was told by a friendly clerk was that the sale is going until August 3rd and that they can order any Criterion from their warehouse (pending that its available and a criterion in circulation) if they don't have one in store and it will be shipped to your home for free.

Thus, I will be getting at least a few more Criterion's in the coming week or two.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If you all are wondering what else is worth the money, I would highly suggest nearly every documentary they have on Criterion.

Namely, Hoop Dreams, Hearts and Minds, Harlan County USA among others.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Not sure if you guys can answer this (and I think it m ight have been answered in a Blu-ray thread and or earlier in this one) but are we certain that more obscure titles will even make it to Blu-Ray?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I'm grabbing lunch then going to Barnes again. This sale is getting out of hand!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I was at a barnes the other day and this kid who was no older than 15 or 16 bought something like 900 dollars worth of criterions. Either he has an awesome job or his parents hooked him up. Needless to say I was jealous.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Wasn't this the first time B&N has ever run a deal like that? Are we safe in assuming it would ever happen again?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Oh god. Thin Red Line on Blu-ray. I may just have to buy a bluray player.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Just pure conjecture on my part but Straw Dogs has been out of print for a long time now. I was randomly doing some IMDB searches and evidently Straw Dogs is getting remade. Think its possible Criterion might get a chance to do a re-release in a relatively close time frame with the new movie?

I'll second the Tanner 88 suggestion though. I bought that on that last Criterion mega sale.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion lost the rights a long time ago, so probably not. They're part of the ABC Films library licensed to MGM from Disney. It should expire this year or next.

Oh well that sucks. I don't believe Straw Dogs has ever been released on laserdisc or DVD though so that is a bit annoying.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Oh...well what the gently caress have I been doing then? I googled it a while ago and the only thing that showed up was the Criterion at Amazon and when I checked netflix it was "out of stock" or whatever. Silly me for not actually investigating.

All versions are currently discontinued at this point though but now that I've actually checked the non-Criterion seem to be pretty easy to get.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Not sure if you any of you would care since you probably own all these already but I am selling some Criterion DVD's.

All prices listed are including shipping. These are DVD's and not Blu-ray movies as well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338131

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It would be loving hilarious if Victory got a Criterion release.

Featuring commentary by Stallone.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I wish Criterion would put all their DVD covers up on the store and sell them as posters.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Does anyone have any remote speculation on Chungking Express on bluray? I am super super broke and it's one of my favorite movies but it is out of print so I could probably flip it for a lot.

One would think this could definitely get repressed or is the license dead and gone with no chance of coming back.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Just got Police Story in the mail today. The transfer looks so drat good. The last time I saw Police Story 1 was on some bad dvd transfer. Really sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I think Criterion could use a lot bigger comedy representation in their library. And for me, when it comes to iconic African America cinema specifically, a large number of those titles that pop in my head are comedy films. They on the app recently had highlighted some films including Hollywood Shuffle which is a film I love. But I digress...and I do agree.No need to re-release already stellar films. They should highlight lesser known films or films that haven't seen an adequate release in the past.