Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gripweed posted:

the individual wkw releases will have the original versions of the movies as extras.

drat, I might have to double dip in future. And I just got the wkw set in the last sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I’m unfamiliar with this wall-e controversy. Movie is great. I watched it Japan and it was perfectly easy to follow. I’ll probably pick this one up.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Do you think he watched wall e

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Are there any thoughts on which world cinema project to get if you wanted to try one? Or is just all personal preference

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Chris Knight posted:

It's leaving the channel at the end of the month, so don't skip Deep Cover if you can. Fishburne & Goldblum are perfect.

Roth posted:

That was a blind buy for me just based on loving both Fishburne and Goldblum and it's up there as one of my favorite movies.

Thanks to these posts I managed to watch Deep Cover on its last day. Fishburne is amazing intense and intimidating in this and just dominates every scene. By contrast the antagonist cocaine suppliers like Felix just feel so meek. But it was fun seeing them tying heads of state to the Latin American drug dealers and politicians in a return to real conspiracies. Also loved seeing Carver get his proper comeuppance at the end.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think it’s one of GDTs least enjoyable films. It’s got some good stuff in it, but it’s very pessimistic compared to the rest of his work.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Lots of Buster Keaton now out on the channel. I’ve never seen any. What are some favorites?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The General was interesting. All of the train duel stuff is fun in seeing the various ways the trains try to sabotage each other. But it is surprising to see such a pro confederate movie now while understanding this movie is 100 years old.

I had watched city lights recently so it was neat seeing the different styles of Chaplin and Keaton.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Went with Inland Empire and Hollywood Shuffle myself. Both will be first time viewings.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Looks like Shout Factory has wild at heart currently

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Rooney McNibnug posted:

A suggestion for the Inland Empire viewing: all the lights turned off and headphones, if possible.

I should get some wireless headphones for my tv. Sound bar is nice but often have to turn it down at night.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh good to know. I was eying that shout factory version of wild at heart, but maybe I’ll wait. Though who knows if a better restoration will happen.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Can enter a chance to visit the criterion closet. Any goon that wins gotta speak up.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Sejin Suzuki collection on the channel. I’ve seen branded to kill and Tokyo drifter. Any other favorites from this set?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/criterion/status/1669435407635828743?s=46&t=_fVsts1-26_-vpwC3rOANA

Sounds fun

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nice criterion channel ai set has black and white Johnny mnemonic

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Picked up Mishima and Three Colors 4K. For some reason i thought Lady Vengeance was a criterion and was looking for that. Probably confused names with Lady Snowblood.

Looking forward to watching Three colors for first time though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finally watched Inland Empire that i picked up in the last sale. It’s impressive how well the blu ray looks with all cray upscaling they did. Definitely a strange but captivating film that I am still thinking about.

The Kyle/Laura Dern discussion and behind the scenes footage are interesting extras and show the more free form aspect of this one and filming it all on that tiny handheld.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I watched Tokyo Story recently and it felt pretty timeless. 80 years later and kids still want space from their parents.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Any recs from the hip hop collection on the channel

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nice to see more streaming releases:

https://www.criterion.com/films/33828-guillermo-del-toros-pinocchio

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh I’ll have to check out Josie with that rec. Anyone have favs of the mgm musicals? I’ve never seen any.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Josie and the Pussy cats was a lot of fun. Kind of a Zoolander meets They Live as others have stated. Legit music too.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Which Russel’s are recommended? I’ve only seen the Lair of the White Snake and that was a lot of fun.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just watched the Devils. Wild stuff, I think I might be into Ken Russel’s style.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also throwing out the On-Gaku support. That was cute fun, and loved he it would start mixing in various art and animation styles. Plus you gotta respect an epic recorder solo.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Not sure why he posted that on twitter for a release. Twitter is already a terrible place to expect discussion, but a release announcement isnt going to suddenly change because of your post..

I know nothing about the film but I am guessing he’s panicking for bad reasons here?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he also suggested, as an alternative, a movie that Criterion already released

he also admitted that his great granddad was a plantation owner in pre-Castro cuba lol

lol yeah people like that gotta learn when to not post

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Hopefully that’s not a trend. Extras are often a deciding factor for me when choosing movies to purchase.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I just preordered the Conan set from arrow. The list of extras just kept going and going. Love to see it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Those kids did have a taste for human flesh now though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Had enough coupons to get both Pinocchio and Last Waltz 4ks for just $10 total. Make sure to find that $20 birthday coupon.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
lol from that article Michael Bay is surprised that Criterion still exists past the laser disc days.

Get him to the closet.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I was going to say they should add Bays first small indie feature like with Nolan and Following, but then saw Bays first film was Bad Boys followed by the Rock.

So 4ks of both when.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Streaming is neat. I just want it to tell me the title. But cool to turn on now and watch some ghost dog.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
lol that's cool. Now they just have to combine the tech!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
New 1999 on channel looks great. Many films I've had on my lists.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I haven't seen Go. But been hearing about it lately, so going to have to watch it this month.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I also quite enjoyed Bringing out the Dead. If you work in medicine or have family in the job, then the feeling of powerless in saving people with overwhelmed hospitals or people's poor choices feels real. Plus Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone watched any of the Obayashi Anti war collection? I've only seen Hausu (amazing), so curious about his other films.