Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Thankfully those monkeys don't look like the monkeys from Jumanji.

zeroordie posted:

LaptopGun posted:

Did anyone else notice that B&N coupons this time seem to exclude DVDs and/or other promotions during the Criterion sale period? This was online coupon codes anyway.

Yeah, after the first day they killed the online coupons. Luckily the $5 off in store coupon worked, which I used a few times...

Can't say I'm surprised. I'd imagine B&N gives up most of their margin to run the sale. I've very thankful for them doing this and the last 2 times they did this sale (they've done it what, 3 times total?) I've cleaned up. Since there's tax online same as in store, the online ones were more or less equal to the store ones anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I really do not like the artwork for Darjeeling Limited. Like really really :rant: it. Criterion has made some pretty remarkable covers for Wes Anderson films: this one isn't. It's like Criterion phoned it in. I guess it's better than the regular DVD's (essentially theatrical poster), but I was not expecting artwork akin to Wes Andersen-by-numbers. Looks like Bottle Rocket, and I don't think the movies were all that similar. Oh well, I'm buying it. Hell, my friend already told me to buy him :cheers: for his birthday so maybe I'm in the clear.

If Criterion ever does a Brazil BluRay, I wonder if they'll try to replicate the the DVD set's iconic packaging.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion doesn't design the Wes Anderson covers, Anderson's brother does.

Learn something new every day. :tipshat: That's awesome Wes is able to keep this sort of thing in the family. Now I only need an email address to drop him a brief line to tell the brother he's done better for Criterion.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Probably. All Criterion BD upgrades of existing Criterion DVDs used the same art as the DVD - except for cases where the DVD received a remaster at the same time. Seeing as how there have already been two DVD releases of Brazil, and one of them very recently, I wouldn't expect another anytime soon (if ever) - so the hypothetical BD would use the latest DVD's cover.

DVD Beaver says the reissue was September 2006. It's plausible they did a HD transfer at that time since HD-DVD and I think BluRay were out. I don't know though. Plus, how far have transfers come in 4 years? Maybe if Criterion ever got the license they'd want a Brand new one.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Sorry to open that can of worms. Whoever did it, I just don't like the cover. I do love the illustrations that accompany Andersen's other movies, not that I own them. Google Image Search is handy.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did an HD transfer at the time, probably standard practice by then. But Criterion has previously said that, for every Blu-ray release, no matter the state of the existing transfer, they've had to go back and do significant work to make the Blu-ray look proper. And there certainly haven't been new DVDs for every BD release, so it seems they're happy with many of their DVDs.

For Brazil specifically, I really wouldn't expect a new DVD anytime soon, even if/when a BD comes out. A couple years ago they announced they'd be going back and remastering early titles that could use it, and releasing them at a certain pace so as to not impact new titles being added to the collection. Brazil has already been a part of that program. I'm sure there is a lot they'd rather do than make a third attempt at a film, when so many much-worse-off ones haven't even received a second issue.

Hmmm... that makes sense. There are some early Criterions I in my wildest dreams hope they'd get a chance to remaster, such as Silence of the Lambs :v: . I'm all for them focusing on bringing new titles (Hell, I still am sans Blu-Ray).

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Official date for the 50% Criterion sale at BN is Nov. 1st and it ends on Nov. 21st. Just in time for Night of the Hunter.

Great news. Thanks. I'll adjust my buying plans accordingly :science:

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I've indulged because I apparently have a BluRay in my future so I grab a few BluRays. Seven Samaurai, Paths to Glory, and The Darjeen Limited. I feel somewhat like a robber grabing the three of them for $30/40 something. I might grab a couple more. I have to figure out if my best friend is actually buying a new TV and a Blu Ray player before I buy his birthday present.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Yeah it's below 8% left now... thanks to me...

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

That's awesome that Criterion secured the rights for a Fear and Loathing BluRay

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Seems kinda pointless to me. Fear And Loathing already has a decent Blu-ray, and I'd rather Criterion focus on titles that other companies haven't / won't release. But I guess it'll sell big for them to a certain audience...

It's because there's already a Blu out there that it's so surprising they have it. I think they use releases like Fear and Laothing to bankroll other less well known films. I'm all for it. So far as iknow I am not double dipping for that. Seven Samurai, sure, but I don't have a pathological need (a current Barnes and Noble sale) for that release.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Rick Deckard posted:

Looks like they are setting up for Christmas!

Some of this sounds more like Christmas is in November for Criterion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Macrame_God posted:

El Norte is the first that personally comes to mind. It's a spectacular picture, but I'm not exactly anxious to go back and watch it again.

I feel the same way about The Human Condition. And it's not just because the film or maybe I should say films is/are a little lengthy.