Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

vertov posted:

Criterion offered me an interview for a position today, but I had to turn it down. Stupid graduate school :( Anyway, I tried begging them to release some Oshima and Yoshida. No, I don't have any shame.

What are their prerequisites like? A job like that would be amazing, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

vertov posted:

DeepDiscountDVD is having a 40% off sale on Criterion titles. Say goodbye to your money!

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-Collection_stcVVcatId476504VVviewcat.htm

Ugh, I just get out of debt, and this comes along. Damnit all.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

WhereTheFishLives posted:

Goodbye money indeed. Anybody wanna help me narrow this down and recommend their favorite/best Criterion DVDs?

Any Fellini transfer they do is fantastic. I have 8 1/2 and La Strada and they're two of my favorite DVDs. I really enjoy what they did with Wes Anderson's work as well.

Also, see my movie of the month thread :D

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Does Critereon have any plans of releasing If...? Because apparently there's no DVD release for it whatsoever, but the two or three people I know who have seen it said it was wonderful. I know it used to be on youtube, but I can't find it anymore, sooo..

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

LaptopGun posted:

I just went and bought the multidisc Brazil on Deep Discount. Unfortunately it's out of stock right now :(, but I decided it was worth the wait to lock in the discount price :signings: . Ships 3/19. It looks like some other Criterions are also on back order. Thanks guys for the heads up. I wish this site had some of the out of print ones like Silence of the Lambs, but I'll take what I got.

Have fun watching Love Conquers All!

Seriously though, great purchase.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

LaptopGun posted:

I couldn't justify buying the single disc one. At those prices I figured I might as well get the 2 disc set. Plus it came out to like the normal price of the single disc set anyway.

Ok I admit it. I really want to see that Love Conquers All trainwreck.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm prettty sure that if you stop the movie right after they float out of the bed into the sky you get the Love Conquers all ending. They may have cut out other stuff before that though, I dunno.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

FitFortDanga posted:

Oh ho ho. That's only the tip of the iceberg, my man.

Really? What are some other scenes cut out?

Please say they at least had the restaurant bombing, that scene ruled.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ClydeUmney posted:

Really, you can't fathom just how bad the whole thing is. The scene you refer to is edited almost out of existence; the bombing outside the TV shop looks victimless; when DeNiro is asked why he does it, instead of whistling and ignoring the question, a badly dubbed voice explains, in stultifying detail, exactly why he does it and spells out the moral of the film; the whole subplot about bringing the receipt to the wife is gone (in fact, I think almost every mention of Buttle or whatever that guy's name was is gone entirely)...it really boggles the mind. It's fascinating to watch, but far from good.

Once you've seen it, you owe it to yourself to watch the documentary on disc two called "The Battle over Brazil". GREAT look at what happened and why.

Better description of the changes, spoilered for those who haven't seen it:

I...I'm not sure I'd be able to watch that.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Just got paid, debating about what DVD to get at my next Barnes and Nobel haul

Debating between:

Down by Law
George Washington
Contempt
Videodrome
That Obscure Object of Desire.

Videodrome is the only one of those I've seen.

And is that sale that Vertov posted still going on?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

slayn666 posted:

Don't do this. B&N is the absolute last place you should be buying DVDs if you care at all about your money. At best you can get 10% off of the MSRP. Order online from DDD or even Amazon; you'll probably save enough to buy an extra movie.

Uh, why not? B&N usually has 10 percent off deals when I go, and they never overprice. I try to order online as little as possible.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

slayn666 posted:

Maybe the manager of your local store is running some special, but everytime I've ever gone into a B&N, they want full MSRP for Criterions, with their book club members getting 10% off. Your average Criterion is $39.99, so if you're a club member that's about $35.99 + tax, so at best you're probably playing almost exactly MSRP. Compare that to DDD, where the average price of Criterions is $31.88 or so with free shipping.

The discrepency between prices only gets more absurb when you get into the boxed sets. B&N wants the full $124.99 for the John Cassavetes boxed set; DDD had it for $74.74 yesterday, which was apparently the last day of a sale, but even now it's only $99.74, again with free shipping.

Here's the comparison on prices between DDD and B&N on a few of the titles you're interested in.

Videodrome:
B&N = 39.99, 35.99 for members, + tax (or shipping if you order online)
DDD = 31.91

That Obscure Object of Desire:
B&N = 29.99, 26.99 for members, + tax (or shipping)
DDD = 17.97

Contempt:
B&N = 39.99, 35.99 for members, + tax (or shipping)
DDD = 31.91

Now, you may be willing to pay upwards of ten extra dollars to have the DVD immediately, that's your prerogative, but B&N is hardly a good deal for Criterions if you're willing to wait a few days.

Edit: I hope I don't come off sounding like an rear end in a top hat or anything. I'm just trying to save you a few bucks.

What's the shipping like for DDD? I knew they did really good deals every once in awhile, but I didn't know the prices were that low.

And for the record, you don't come off as an rear end in a top hat at all.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

slayn666 posted:

I think DDD offers free shipping across the board. All the DVDs I looked at had free shipping.

Edit: Yeah, they do.

Nice! Thanks.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

cryme posted:

To answer this question, the answer is Videodrome.

not biased

I have the original out-of-print version somewhere in my house, but I can't find it. I've only watched it once and I was kinda-sorta impressed, but I want to give it another go now that I'm a bigger Cronenberg fan. How are the extras?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

cryme posted:

Terrific. Cronenberg always gives fantastic commentaries, and the James Woods/Deborah Harry track is pretty good too. The booklet has some very good essays that will increase your appreciation for the movie (there is a lot to be gained by multiple viewings). The second disc has a great documentary on the awesome practical effects used in the movie, as well as uncut 'broadcasts' of the Samurai Dreams film as well as the videodrome 'transmissions'. The Cronenberg short is interesting, and the rountable disscussion and promotional materials are all worth a look. It's one of Criterion's best discs.

Sooold!

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Videodrome has been ordered! I think Down By Law is next up.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

caiman posted:

Here's another general CC collecting question. For those of you who are trying to either obtain the entire collection, or just trying to pick up the rare OOPs, how do you factor in re-releases? Is the old version still desireable even though Criterion has released a better version with the same spine number? The perfect example is Salo. It's in talks of being re-released. Does this make the original release obsolete, or still something worth tracking down/paying top dollar for?

No, get the re-releases. They generally have better quality, more extras, etc etc. Unless you're a hipster who likes having rare DVDs, in which case eat your heart out.

Also, to vaguely divert, does anyone know if Critereon is planning to rerelease Dead Ringers?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

cryme posted:

No. There's a relatively new DVD of Dead Ringers available from Warner Brothers. Unfortunately, there is no Cronenberg commentary on the new DVD, but there is a Jeremy Irons commentary (I can't speak to it's quality as I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet). The picture quality, however, is much better than the Criterion (and anamorphic, too).

Yah, I have that edition, but damnit I want my Cronenberg commentary :(

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

slayn666 posted:

However, the prices for rare OOP stuff tends to go down by a fair bit if a rerelease is announced.

Yeah, and you can generally find any OOP edition for a lower price on Amazon (used of course).

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Just got Videodrome in the mail :shlick:

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

slayn666 posted:

My fiance gave me this for our anniversary :woop:. I just finished watching The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and while it was nothing like I expected from the description, it was still an excellent movie.

Which cut of it?

And for that matter, which cut is "better?"

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

FitFortDanga posted:

#399 - House of Games

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Juan Ruiz Anchia
• Audio commentary by director David Mamet and consultant and actor Ricky Jay
• New video interviews with actors Lindsay Crouse and Joe Mantegna
• David Mamet on "House of Games," a short documentary shot on location during the film's preparation and production
• Storyboard detail from the deleted scene "The Tap"
• Theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones and excerpts from Mamet’s introduction to the published screenplay

Wow, this truly came out of nowhere. I used to LOVE this movie, kinda soured on it a little bit in recent years. Will still rent it to check out the extras though. Ricky Jay!

Color me excited.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Whoo@the Jarmusch transfers.

On a less-happy note, If... comes out Tuesday and I'm more or less out of money until at least mid-July :(

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Criminal Minded posted:

Never even heard of Mala Noche, honestly.

It's Van Sant's very first feature movie. I haven't seen it, but it seems pretty drat interesting. Van Sant's hosed up a lot in his career, but when he does something right, he makes a masterpiece. Plus, his really early work was easily his best.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Mike_V posted:

Maybe it's just because the forums' background is the same color, but that Breathless cover art looks really bad/weird.

Yeah. The whole Critereon logo over the "B" just looks awkward too.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Black Trombone posted:

I actually just saw Breathless a couple of days ago, and I can't for the life of me figure out why Criterion waited until now to release it. That movie pretty much amazed me, but then again, it is my first French New Wave film. :3:
Pretty sure I'll be buying it.

Criterion usually prioritizes movies that are hard, if not nearly impossible, to find (certainly not the case for Breathless). For some reason they've lately been re-releasing a lot of movies that aren't hard to find at all, but spiffing them up big time.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Is there any word on a reprint of Notorious? Cause apparently it's out of print now..

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Og Oggilby posted:

Looks like The Lady Vanishes will be re-issued: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23

BUT WHAT ABOUT NOTORIOUS :(

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Og Oggilby posted:

How much are you willing to pay for a used Notorious? :haw:

I unno, money's pretty tight right now, but maybe anywhere from $15-25?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I got the three-disc set of Brazil for my birthday last night, and some money which I'm going to use to order a couple of other Critereons.

I'm thinking Do the Right Thing and Knife in the Water. Any comments on either of these?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ClydeUmney posted:

Do the Right Thing is outstanding. Here's what I wrote about it when I first saw it:

Not a bit of that has changed since I wrote it, and in fact, I think even more highly of it the more I think about it. It's really a superb piece of filmmaking.

I saw the movie back in January and I loved it to death, it's probably in my top 20, maybe even my top 10. Have you explored the DVD at all?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

FitFortDanga posted:

Chances are you're not going to watch Knife in the Water more than once.

I'm especially interested for the eight short films included on the second disc, I'd love to see some of Polanski's earliest work.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Speaking of Sam Fuller, I'm going to order his "early films" boxset from the Eclipse series in the near future. Any commentary on these movies?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

FitFortDanga posted:

If you mean do they have commentary tracks, then no. Eclipse films have no extras.

I know. I was moreso wondering if anyone had seen the movies and had anything to say about them.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I'm trying to decide which Cover Art I like more, The Lady Vanishes, or Drunken Angel.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

vertov posted:

I'm selling some Criterion DVDs along with a ton of other stuff in SA Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2608658

You're alive! :wth:

EDIT- Hurr

Slackerish fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 29, 2007

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

schwrzsnn posted:

I've been meaning to expand my Criterion selection beyond Kurosawa and Bergman for some time now. Mouchette and Fire on the Plains seem to be up my alley, so I've taken the plunge on those. Any other recommendations as far as hopeless, bleak films go? My favorites are Apocalypse Now, Aguirre Wrath of God and The Seventh Seal, if that helps.

If.... Really, there's no reason for you to not see that movie, it seems right up your alley.

Seconding Naked as well.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Cacator posted:

I don't like it when people have to mention a "director's cut," Gilliam's version was the one that was released and the one that everybody saw. Although different versions appear on TV (like the "My God, it works!" line)

I think the director's cut is slightly different from the cut that got released/the cut on the bare-bones DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Haven't they been talking about re-releasing Salo for like, six months now?