Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I am looking into a couple of new Criterion films, and I was wondering what you guys thought of Bigger Than Life, and Branded to Kill. Bigger than Life looks really interesting because of the subject matter in the time period that they made it in, and Branded to Kill looks right up my alley. A Hitman in a cool japanese 1960's aesthetic with some interesting looking set pieces? yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SubG posted:

Have you seen any other Suzuki? His films are a bit difficult to recommend as blind buys, and your thumbnail description isn't really how I'd summarise Branded to Kill (1967). It's really a deconstruction of mainstream film/pop sensibilities and in particular Japanese consumption of them.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it; it's absolutely one of my favourite films. But it's an aggressively difficult to digest film; I think this is one of the major conceits of the film---hyper-accentuating all the elements which define pop cinema of the era until their `natural' meaning and context is obliterated (which is a way of recontextualising them as critical, rather than purely diegetic, elements). If you're familiar with Japanese New Wave film in general, think of something like Oshima's In The Realm of the Senses (1976), except instead of (just) explicit sexuality, doing the same thing with all of the trappings and conventions of Bond films (which were huge in Japan at the time) or conventional Yakuza films. I'm not trying to draw a narrow comparison here---Oshima's film isn't very good and Suzuki's is loving incredible---but I'm just talking about the schtick of taking something and just loving running it into the ground stylistically.

Really if you want a Suzuki film that's slick and cool you'd probably prefer Tokyo Drifter (1966) which is an inferior film but which is way the gently caress more stylistically accessible.

Thank you for this, while I haven't seen much Suzuki your write up of the film has made it that much more interesting to me. I can understand why you wouldn't recommend it as a blind buy though. I see that it is on Hulu and I have a free month so I may just watch it there first.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I am broke as poo poo right now, so I really could only budget for one criterion, but I ended up getting Branded To Kill. I have been told Tokyo Drifter is a bit more accessible, but I am defiantly willing to take a chance on this film.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I have a ten dollar gift cert that criterion gave me, so I really want to take advantage of this sale. I am in the mood for a 70's sci fi film so I am trying to decide between Solaris, and World on a Wire.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I ended up buying World On a Wire. Not only have I been on a 70's sci fi kick recently, but I have been watching a lot of German films as well. So I am pretty excited for this.

I really haven't seen very much German sci fi though, other than Metropolis of course.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
For anyone who lives in the L.A. area The Aero theater in Santa Monica is doing a showing of Two Lane Blacktop on march 3rd, and Monte Hellman will actually be there I assume doing a Q&A.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/two-lane-blacktop-0

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Here is the cover Criterion Cast is using for Y Tu Mamá También if anyone was interested.

I don't think its too bad if it's official. It fits the movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I picked up the hidden fortress today. I really wanted Scanners too but the blu rays were sold out.

I was thinking of getting breaking the waves and the great beauty as well. Only I didn't see the great beauty in theaters, but I loved Il Divo. Is it worth the blind buy?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

caiman posted:

Received Scanners and Persona today. Do all the dual format releases come in these cardboard digipacks rather than the standard clear plastic cases?

Hidden Fortress is in the standard box.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I bought Scanners and man that artwork is awesome. I know my girlfriend bought me like 4 or 5 movies but I have to wait until Xmas.

Does anyone know if the sword of doom blu Ray has come out yet?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raxivace posted:

The Sword of Doom Blu-Ray won't be out until January 6th. :(

drat and Watership down isn't coming out until after the sale either.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Has there been any talk about a Blu Ray release of Grand Illusion. I don't own the DVD and would love to own the movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

friendo55 posted:

Would Umberto D. be a safe blind-buy purchase?
It's a film I rarely see being discussed, but reviews of it being simple, elegant, and heartbreaking has always intrigued me.

I'm usually OK with sad movies, but goddamn umberto D is a sad movie. Simple elegant and heartbreaking is the perfect way to describe it. You will most likely cry.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I can't remember does the criterion website sell their stuff for 50 percent off when the B&N sale is going on? I finally got around to watching Weekend and realized I have to own the Blu Ray. I have that 10 bucks criterion have me so I want to use it during a sale.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Rusty Staub posted:

which Weekend

Godard

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hidden Fortress is a great one to show people with no interest in foreign films because you can tell them that it's why star wars exists and is a really fun movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just realized that Criterion doesn't have any Miklós Jancsó films. I would kill for a blu ray release of The Red and the White.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I got Watership Down, Time Bandits, and Eraserhead for Christmas this year. Not bad at all. I really want to pre order Lady Snowblood now too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Man I'm watching Watership down and I really forgot how bleak this movie can get. It's beautiful but there is an animal dying or getting injured about every scene. I really can't imagine how many kids were scarred after their parents showing them this movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Why would anyone think its for children?

I really wish criterion would have offered a reversible cover with that one on the other side.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I would lose my mind for fantastic planet. Criterion needs more animation as far as I'm concerned.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If we can get some way for criterion to actually get us a real version of Coonskin I would be thrilled.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Unmature posted:

I would pay out the rear end for a Ralph Bakshi box set.

American pop on Blu Ray is extremely my poo poo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I saw the first film in the samurai trilogy which i enjoyed. How do the rest hold up?

All of them are fantastic honestly. I also think the second one is the best one, but the climax of 3 is amazing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Does the free shipping for 50 dollars work with the sale, or does the actual sale have to be over 50 dollars?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Forgot about the $10 credit they gave me, ended up with The Kid, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Don't Look Back.

Yeah I used that too. I got Mulholland Drive, and Weekend (Godard, not the other one)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raxivace posted:

On a related note am I the only usually not into director commentaries? I usually would rather hear a critic or historian or hell even a different director talk about a movie than the people that actually made it.

It really depends on the director. One of my favorite commentaries I listened to was actually rob zombie on devils rejects. Where sometimes even a movie I absolutely adore I won't care about the commentary at all.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm so excited for Fantastic Planet, and I only have the DVD of Dr Strangelove so I'll probably pick up their Blu Ray.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Has fantastic planet ever has a real American release?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

mod sassinator posted:

The whole thing's on Dailymotion and other video sites like it, just search google and you can watch it.

I mean I've seen it quite a few times, but it's going to be cool to have an actual high quality version.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I like persona but my favorite scene in Weekend is when Godard makes fun of Persona.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Robert Denby posted:

It looks like there's also going to be titles from Kino-Lorber and Milestone in there as well, so that's a hell of a deal.

This excites me because I might get easy access to the red and the white.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I would still love for Criterion to release some Miklós Jancsó films. I want an actual good transfer of The Red and the White.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Origami Dali posted:

So it's all but confirmed that a Lone Wolf & Cub set is coming, yeah?

Oh poo poo really? I have a friend who is going to be so pumped for this.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm probably going to head to barnes and noble late in the afternoon but I think I'm finally just going to get the Qatsi trilogy. I've put off buying it way too long at this point

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I really love fantastic planet because I love that era of animation, I can totally see how it wouldn't be for everyone though. I'd say rent before buying unless you know what you are getting for sure.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I bought fantastic planet but the Barnes by me sold out of dr stangelove :(

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

zandert33 posted:

If you've seen Kill Bill before, watching this one might end up pissing you off.... after you realize how much QT ripped off from it. Too bad the second Lady Snowblood isn't too hot.

The only thing I can think of that I really want to buy is "The New World", which wouldn't get me free shipping. Might have to wait until it's released and pick it up in store.

I'd say he took a lot from Tokyo drifter as well. It doesn't piss me off though. I think it's cool there is a director who is willing to wear his influences like a badge of honor.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

blue squares posted:

This excites me because today I bought Tokyo Drifter for basically no reason. I spent almost $500 this week on criterion

Tokyo Drifter rules but I think I might love Branded to Kill just a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My Barnes got dr strangelove back in stock so I got that reserved and waiting. I'm also thinking of getting the Qatsi trilogy and Larger than Life.