Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Glamorama26 posted:

Getting drunk with access to the internet and Criterion on the brain is an awful cocktail. One just wakes up the next day around a hundred bucks broker.

I end up doing even while sober. "Oh look, there's some thing I can't get locally on B&N's website that would make a perfect present for my girlfriend...may as well fill it out to justify the cost! And also get 4 day international shipping because her birthdays at the end of the month and I can't not have it in time!"

Godzilla, Repo Man, a bunch of Wes Anderson, Che, and Dazed and Confused later and I finally check out. And you know what? It's still loving cheaper than getting the non-Criterion versions of those flicks locally on Blu Ray where available. The standard edition blu of Che Part 1 goes for $29 alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
No international shipping? Horseshit, was just about to double my collection :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

My guess is that the current print run sold out and they're simply re-pressing as a combo.

Seems that way. I was hoping to get it in the B&N sale but a single copy was running up to $55+ at that point through their marketplace because it was OOP. But now they're re-releasing it sooooooooooo

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
October is probably the month where I buy a shitload of titles at full price, because goddamn. I'm loving the westerns that Criterion is pushing out.

If I've never seen The Vanishing, is it worth it? The barebones disc made me think I'll pass, but you guys are giving it a good rap.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Oh sweet, I always thought it was in December, and I have to get stuff shipped to my office...and Barnes and Noble are hopeless at shipping stuff overseas. Now I just gotta save.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Is it even a children's film?

No, it's a trap from the bygone time of parents selecting VHS rentals based entirely on the cover and malicious Blockbuster employees putting it in the "family" section.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
By-the-by, if there's any fellow Australians in here that want a copy of Francis Ha on blu (only half-watched once) for $15+postage, let me know.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Cacator posted:

Would anybody recommend A Brief History of Time as a blind-buy? I've seen a few Errol Morris docs here and there but I can't say I'm otherwise familiar with him, this is more out of interest in Hawking and physics. I usually cap my B&N buys at 5 but this would make it 6.

I personally loved the doco and it was a nice introduction to Hawking but it's a barebones disc.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Any news about whether the poster book will be available via Amazon or the like? Criterion simply don't want to ship anything to Australia...I can understand the films with licensing and all that, but shirts, posters and the book not being available outside of the US and Canada is dumb.

I want my fuckin House shirt :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

GonSmithe posted:

As for Lynch, Twin Peaks and Fire Walk with Me were my first and only exposure so far, and I'm dying for more. I'm glad I get to watch it in the best it's looked for the first time.

There is literally nothing like Eraserhead - it can't even be considered a primer of Lynch's work, because it's so far out there in my opinion. While there's definitely seeds of future works there, it's so much more a work in surrealism than the others, I think. I'm hyped because he's coming to my city to launch an exhibition of his artwork early next year.

Got my first order of the sale shipped to Australia in a week, so there turned up today:

Macbeth
Eraserhead
The Complete Jacques Tati
Life Aquatic...
If...
All That Jazz
F For Fake

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

zandert33 posted:

Anybody either check out or pick up the "Criterion Designs" book? It sure looks interesting from the previews, but the price is a bit much to blind buy.

$60 from Amazon isn't too bad.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Got really hyped as I was prepared to wait a few months for in-stock items at those prices to be shipped to Australia. Shipping for 7 blu rays would have cost around about $170CAD.

I think I'll just wait for the B+N sale.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
nthing the appreciation for Repo Man - I always thought I had seen it on afternoon TV at some point and bought it as soon as it came out. Turns out I had seen Men At Work (which when I rewatched it, didn't hold up) and Repo Man was a total trip but has become one of my favourites in the collection.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Rusty Staub posted:

gently caress yeah, the Graduate and Death by Hanging in Feb

and The Kid! More Chaplin never hurts.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
In case anyone's not aware, there's a Thanksgiving code active for $10 off using the coupon BNTURKEY10 - worked with my order and pretty much negated international shipping. Picked up Ikiru, The Hidden Fortress, Tokyo Story, and The Brood.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Yeah, if they make it absurdly easy for other regions to get in on this I'll be so happy.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Jesus Christ I hope the Australian dollar recovers soon. Even with Amazon's base price I'm still looking at $40AU a movie + shipping :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

mod sassinator posted:

Sweet just nabbed Fantastic Planet blu-ray. Can't wait to trip out to this movie.

Also they always gently caress up and have coupon codes that shouldn't stack at the start of the sale. I noticed this 15% code worked for me and knocked a few bucks off the already low 50% off price: https://www.retailmenot.com/view/barnesandnoble.com?c=7846036 It's code: 9GLQ4E2UFU863 Worth a shot, no idea how long it will keep working.

Still working for me, got $3 off my $60 order, bringing Inside Llewyn Davis, Rashomon and Throne of Blood to $89AU shipped :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
BNTROPICAL code is live and working - got The Apu Trilogy, The Kid, and Dr Strangelove for $82US ($109AU) shipped.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Twin Cinema posted:

Real talk: I spent a very uncomfortable first Valentine's Day with my GF (of 6 1/2 years) watching this film. We had only been dating a few weeks by that point.

I'm surprised she didn't cut it off with you right there for doing that

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I'm only posting this here because I don't know if there's a more appropriate place on the forums, but what are some good reading sources to really start with film theory and criticism? I devour the Criterion special features where I can and really want to find more stuff out there to read, not just watch.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Frances Ha remains to this day the only Criterion that I've never watched all the way through, and also the only one I've ever taken out of my collection. It was an unmitigated piece of trash.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I'm an impatient gently caress so I ebayed copies of Walkabout and The Moment Of Truth while waiting for my Barnes and Noble copies to arrive in the country. Finally got them today and it appears my copy of Walkabout is severely bronzed - anyone have any experience with the returns/exchange thing they did for this a while back, or know if it's still in effect? Will they ship to overseas for replacements?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
gently caress me, so I chased up Barnes and Noble because the shipping tracking hasn't updated in a fortnight on either of my orders, saying that the last action was internal US stuff and nothing regarding Australia. Instead of explaining what's actually happening they've just put a refund through to my credit card.

The same poo poo happened trying to ship the Apu trilogy from Amazon last year - Amazon just ended up cancelling the order for some reason. I just want to watch good movies :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
A month and a half later, my B+N order arrived in Australia. Never going for the cheap shipping option again.

Now, to dig into the Apu trilogy.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Has there been any word anywhere about VPNing into the service?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
In non-Criterion news, Kino Lorber is kickstarting a new edition of the "Pioneers" series https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kinolorber/pioneers-first-women-filmmakers

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I've trimmed down my always growing wishlist to try and keep to Safety Last, Pan's Labyrinth and Punch-Drunk Love this sale. Gotta cut a few out because there's no way I'm going for anything but the best shipping option after orders taking upwards of eight weeks to Australia last time.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Sale's up, go hog wilde

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Basebf555 posted:

I have to stay out of this thread because now its just going to be all about how awesome the new service is and I won't be getting it at least for a few months. I'm extremely jealous.

I'm in Australia and we're likely never going to get it due to region licensing :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I told myself I'd go easy this sale, but :shrug:

Dr. Strangelove
A Touch of Zen
Pan's Labyrinth
Blood Simple
Eating Raoul

Pan's and Blood Simple are blind buys but I've really liked all the del Toro and Coen movies I've seen so far, Zen is a total blind buy, and Raoul was suggested by my dad. Hoping to pick up Lone Wolf & Cub on tuesday too.

After Eating Raoul, dont forget to follow up the Blands in their reprised role in Chopping Mall.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Non-Criterion, but Kino Lorber's latest Pioneer set finishes on Kickstarter real soon and is only $4600 from making their goal: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kinolorber/pioneers-first-women-filmmakers?ref=project_link

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Before Trilogy's price has been fixed...I slept on it for 4 hours and missed it again :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Anyone know if the upcoming Black Friday BN online coupon will work with the sale?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Nah, the Vatican probably would be chill about it now.

Apparently, some douchebag at Warner Bros. keeps blocking controversial stuff because they think they're doing a public service by withholding certain films. :rolleyes:

CriterionCast talked about this in an episode recently-ish, and from what I could glean The Devils is like, 1970s offensive, and would barely raise an eyebrow now, right? Even the cut content?

Am I wasting time by asking if the guy who's blocking this is 70+ years old?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Phone postin' but The Before Trilogy is down to $53~US on Amazon

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

GrandpaPants posted:

I believe Stalker is on sale a week after that. It will go quick.

I've got a preorder with Amazon, they'll match sale prices won't they? I've just had better shipping to Aus from Amazon, in that it won't take up to 3 months in a lovely cardboard box with no protection.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I wouldn't say that the Dead films are nihilistic, more just fatalistic. Whether it's bleak endings like Night or the military half of Day or relatively upbeat survivor endings like Dawn you know it's never going to actually work out anyway.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

nerds are bad for a shitload of different reasons, not just one. For example, go to the Criterion sub-reddit and ask the best way to organise your collection and watch a debate on the semantics of spine-number vs alphabetical vs chronological vs spine-colour stretch on for hours

e: Before anyone asks, the best way to order them is by the director's rating on the Kinsey scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
kill everyone