Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

So is Rushmore going out of print like I've heard? Because if it is, I'll have to use the Criterion sale to get that, but if it isn't, I'm gonna get something else (either If... or Sawdust and Tinsel) 'cause I can only afford one right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

My only guess is Cronos, which I haven't seen.

That really couldn't be anything but Cronos. Good movie, but not one I'd really expect from Criterion.

If it means we get a Criterion of The Devil's Backbone, though, I am so down.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Starscream posted:

Any Guillermo is good Guillermo!

I take it you didn't see Blade 2.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cacator posted:

Now now, Blade 2 is by far the best/least worst of the Blade movies.

I take it you didn't see Blade.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

loving yes! Repulsion is by far my favorite Polanski movie and I've been waiting for a decent DVD release of it for a long-rear end time now. I haven't sprung for a Criterion in a while now, but I have to have this one.

Great cover, too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

Question: Is Vengeance Is Mine any good? I like a good crime drama and it sounds like it would be up my alley, but I'm not too sure.

It's not very suspenseful except in small doses, and it's got a very deliberate pace, but it's a very good movie if you don't mind being disturbed.

FitFortDanga posted:

Suspense:
Rififi

I'd second this one. Much more 'crime/noir' oriented, and the entire second half of the movie is pretty edge-of-your-seat. It's probably the best heist movie I've ever seen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Does the EAH version have the stories in the booklet?

I doubt it. Usually they'll have one essay and nothing else.

That being said, I love the Essential Art House series. I'm perfectly content with my barebones version of Wild Strawberries, and I didn't have to pay out the rear end in a top hat for it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I had to force myself to finish Days of Heaven. All the shots were absolutely gorgeous, but that alone does not a good movie make.

How are Malick's other movies? I saw Badlands, which I thought was okay but not great. From clips that I've seen of his others it is just one stunning image after another, but I get worried because I can't help thinking they're just going to be like Days of Heaven and I lose my desire to see them.

I think Days of Heaven and Badlands are absolutely incredible, but the rest of Malick's output is hit-or-miss for me. I think mine is a kind of unusual opinion though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My least favorite Criterion that I've seen is still Alphaville, but I might be alone on that one. I like the other Godards I've seen but that one was just a chore to sit through.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I guess this technically isn't a question about buying Criterions, but I have a hulu subscription and I've been getting into Bergman lately. I wasn't in love with The Seventh Seal, but Persona and Cries and Whispers really blew me away. Where should I go next with Bergman? Hulu has plenty of options, Wild Strawberries, The Magician, The Silence, Virgin Spring, and several others I've never heard of. Are there any that I definitely shouldn't miss that maybe aren't talked about that much? I hear a lot of good things about Wild Strawberries.

lot of good ones there, but Wild Strawberries should absolutely be your next stop. short, accessible, and arguably his best movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'll probably watch that tonight and save Fanny and Alexander for this weekend when I have more time.

my advice on his long ones:

-always do the full TV version.
-Fanny & Alexander i watched all in one day with a short (maybe an hour) break halfway through. it was pretty overwhelming, but felt like a great way to watch that movie.
-Scenes From a Marriage i did differently: it's divided into five hour long episodes, and i watched one a night for five days. this was maybe even more overwhelming, and felt like the absolute ideal way of watching that movie (probably similar to how it was originally viewed on Swedish tv.
-poo poo gets very heavy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like I probably experienced some of the worst of it with Cries and Whispers, although its not one of his long films. Very tempting to turn away from the screen at certain points.

oh yeah, that's one of the ones i haven't seen but by all accounts it's his most brutal

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

they did tease at the beginning of the year that they were doing Inside Llewyn Davis, right? that still happening?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ThetaOmnikron posted:

So I saw (in a theatrical double-feature, maybe not the best way) Persona and Cries and Whispers a year or so back, and liked but didn't love them. Just watched the TV version of Fanny and Alexander and was floored– jesus, what a film. Where to next?

Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal are two can't-misses. if you want another big, 5 hour TV epic, Scenes from a Marriage is flawless.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I have a soft spot for The Magic Flute, though I know most don't care for it.

it's the only Bergman i haven't been able to get into at all, but i'm not really an opera guy.

Hour of the Wolf deserves a shoutout too. and Sawdust & Tinsel is my pick for his most underappreciated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

just used it to scoop Watership Down, Kiss Me Deadly, and Hausu.

gently caress i'm broke

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Inside Llewyn Davis

Finally. Been waiting on that one.

Pretty stoked about Lady Snowblood, too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I haven't seen it myself, but I heard it's better than the Nolan version.

it is, and just plain very good overall.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

The sweet spot for genre movie/important for historical context/maybe actually available/would love to see special features is a Near Dark release

i have the old special edition 2 disc DVD with tons of extras which is dope but yeah i'd like to see it in high def. there was that blu ray with the awful cover from when Twilight was the big thing but it went out of print quick.

possibly the best American film of the 1980s. possibly the best American film of all time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just rewatched Seven Samurai and it really is the most crowd-pleasing 3+ hour movie ever made. Mifune's so dope in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

FWIW I watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time recently and thought it was terrible. I know it's based on historical figures and events, but the whole "Look at how great this white guy is for helping these brown people!" angle seemed kind of racist to me

Lawrence of Arabia is way more complex than that if you're willing to dig into it even a little.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Any love for The Bad Sleep Well here?

hell yeah, although i really haven't seen a Kurosawa i didn't like.

Throne of Blood is usually my go-to for favorite,

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

what gets overlooked in discussion of how beautiful Lawrence of Arabia is or what a great performance Peter O'Toole gives (one of the best in cinema history) is what a dynamite, whip-smart fuckin script it has.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A Short Film About Killing is probably one of the greatest movies ever made and A Short Film About Love is no slouch either

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I saw the first film in the samurai trilogy which i enjoyed. How do the rest hold up?

they're fuckin great and the last one features basicslly the best samurai duel in film.

very tempted by both that and the Yojimbo/Sanjuro two-pack. is Kuroneko worth a blind buy?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I got Kuroneko thanks to the sale and holy poo poo the packaging is so cool.

i did too, along with Yojimbo/Sanjuro and the Samurai Trilogy (i'm bad with money). Kuroneko's the only one i've never seen before, pretty pumped. the dope packaging appealed to me as well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

great movie, but a very esoteric cartoon if that's the case.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Is there another film or series you might be able to compare it to? I'd love to get into Ray but the Apu Trilogy isn't on Hulu and I'm hesitant to spent that kind of money on a blind-buy. I feel like it would be weird to watch Ray's other stuff without seeing the Apu trilogy, but feel free to correct me on that one.

I can't remember which way the influence flows but it's very similar to Italian Neorealism (think The Bicycle Thieves specifically)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Pre-orders are never included in Criterion sales.

Pretty sure I pre-ordered Inside Llewyn Davis for sale price in December

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

No blu Ray of Andrei Rublev, huh? Bummer.

Stuck deciding between Solaris and Branded to Kill.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone have any issues with their orders from that flash sale? I received shipping info and a tracking number but it's been stalled at a facility in Kentucky and so far I'm out $50. Called USPS, who were incredibly unhelpful, and emailed the Criterion help email but that was last week and still no response. Is there some other contact I can use?

I'd just keep at em, I've had problems with flash sale orders with em before (probably because they get so swamped) but they've always straightened stuff out and sent me a $10 gift certificate for the trouble so I got no complaints.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The New World is very good. Carnival of Souls blu ray is pretty exciting too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll have to at least rent that for the Sonnenfeld stuff, such an underrated cinematographer

morestuff posted:

It's at least a nice way to find out that M. Emmet Walsh is still alive

He was dope in Calvary a couple years ago

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Bought Ikiru and The Player and blind-bought Ace in the Hole, In a Lonely Place, and The American Friend today. Should be a good time!

Those are extremely good blind-buys

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coaaab posted:

It is a gloriously devastating movie. Might now be my favorite, too.

I just rewatched it last night actually. Gloria Grahame is so good, one of the best Bogart performances too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My haul:

Badlands
The Thin Red Line
Shallow Grave
Valerie and her Week of Wonders
The Brood

No blind buys, but it's been forever since I've seen Shallow Grave

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Tokyo Drifter rules but I think I might love Branded to Kill just a bit more.

Yeah they're both great but even after seeing Tokyo Drifter, Branded to Kill was earth-shaking for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's recent and all, but I think my most-rewatched/rewatchable criterion might be Inside Llewyn Davis.

House and Watership Down are both up there, though.

edit: actually I may have watched 8 1/2 more than any of those

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ooo good call, Jigoku is one of the most underrated movies in the collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Riosan posted:

What was the total cost? Holy poo poo.

Simply from reading about it, I'll likely get Shoah during the next flash sale, even as long and depressing as it seems. Does the thread recommend it?

I mean, it's definitely a movie that's worth watching, but I can't imagine you'll wanna rewatch it that often. Hell, I still haven't finished it because my first attempt sent me into a week long brutal depression.

Just about every public library worth its salt should have a copy, maybe consider renting it instead. Ditto Night and Fog (although that one I have watched twice)