Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I can't wait. I wonder how frequently they will restock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm going right when they open. I plan to get about 10 items

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Are we doing these?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really loving love Criterion.

The_Rob posted:

I bought fantastic planet but the Barnes by me sold out of dr stangelove :(

Use the website

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Fantastic Planet isn't allowed in my home because something about the animation style makes my skin crawl. I don't know why but it is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Agreed. There was a video in that animation style playing on a loop on a TV outside a classroom at my college. For an entire month it played, every day, as I waited for the previous class to be let out.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why do I feel like buying only 10 movies was way too few? I want to go back tomorrow and get more that I haven't seen before.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

The Killing (1956, Stanley Kubrick)

If Kubrick hadn't seen fit to try out every genre, he would have easily been one of the best noir directors. The Killing is his first great film. If the iron-clad plot isn't enough, it has one of the best casts ever in a film (Sterling Hayden, Marie Windsor, Elisha Cook, Timothy Carey, plus a bit part for Joe Turkel). Criterion used a 4K restoration, which makes the film look practically new. Plus, they included Kubrick's previous film Killer's Kiss, which may not be a great film, but entertaining with a sleazy PRC charm mixed with moody NYC photography.

A Hard Day's Night (1964, Richard Lester)

This is one of my "dream" releases and never thought Criterion would get it. One of the most influential films of the 60s and a great film on its own. Funny, stylish, clever, and just fun. The 4K restoration is gorgeous (Gilbert Taylor shot this and Dr. Strangelove in the same year!), but one of the real perks are new stereo, and 5.1 remixes utilizing the original 4-track masters from Abbey Road Studios (the original mono track is included too). Supervised by Giles Martin, no less. If that wasn't enough, it's absolutely loaded with extras, particularly highlighting Richard Lester, one of the unsung heroes of 60s cinema.

Thanks. I'll get both of these.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

I'd say he took a lot from Tokyo drifter as well. It doesn't piss me off though. I think it's cool there is a director who is willing to wear his influences like a badge of honor.

This excites me because today I bought Tokyo Drifter for basically no reason. I spent almost $500 this week on criterion

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

If you can watch A Hard Day's Night and not be charmed out of your mind, you are a broken person.

The restoration is absolutely gorgeous, as well.

The store website lied about the stock so now I have to wait until Wednesday to get it mailed to me! :(

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How is the quality on hulu streaming? I love how nice blu ray looks and feel like streaming would be far weaker

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What criterions are the most bold and unique stylistically? Like in your face craziness and color, etc.

Also, what are some of the most rewatchable movies? I'd have to say Nashville and Sans Soliel are mine

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've long been a fan of Playtime, so I picked up the Tati box set. The first movie was incredibly good! It was so funny and charming.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Okay I want to share my final list. Not spending any more money.
I received an unexpected but cool $13k so I splurged

Seen prior to purchase
8 1/2
La Dolce Vita
Benjamin Button
Dr. Strangelove
Inside Llewyn Davis
Seven Samurai
Breathless
Moonrise Kingdom
Rules of the Game
The Game

Blind buy
Amarcord
Badlands
Days of Heaven
Thin Red Line
Easy Rider
Hoop Dreams
Nashville
La Jetee/Sans Soliel
L'Avventura
Tati box set
Apu trilogy
Shoah
Qatsi box set
Anatomy of a Murder
Three Colors box set
Battle of Algiers
Tokyo Drifter
F is for Fake
Branded to Kill
World on a Wire
Walkabout
Tie me up! Tie me down!
The Double life of Veronique
Children of Paradise
Hard Day's Night
The New World

god drat

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 10, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

e: nevermind

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I spent the first 40 minutes of Tokyo Drifter being annoyed that I had no idea wtf was going on. I stopped to check if my Branded To Kill was still unopened and returnable. Then I realized that not knowing wtf is going on is half the point of Tokyo Drifter and I stopped caring, commenced loving the remainder of the film

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I watched Antichrist and had to then follow it with Strangelove. Antichrist was really good, but holy poo poo is it an uncomfortable movie to watch.

So you're saying it would not be a good first date movie?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Use coupon code BNSPARKLER for 25% off online orders over $100

yes i just bought more fuckin movies

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How does something like animation translate to blu ray quality vs DVD? I know Mr. Fox is actually photographed so that's different, but what about the others?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

GoldenGun posted:

- L'Avventura

Have you seen this before? I blind bought it and suspected it was going to bore me just based on what I'd read about it, but it was so good and engaging.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I haven't seen a single frame of a Disney movie since I watched them on VHS

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

One of my favorite things about Criterion is when a film has commentary from a film critic. I'm listening to the commentary on the Double Life of Veronique and it's such an enlightening experience. It's from a woman who wrote a book on Kieslowski

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I watched a Hard Day's Night at this thread's prompting. By the end I was really glad I'd watched it, but it was pretty uneven. I just found the grandfather character to be really, really annoying. Everything else was absolutely wonderful, but he kept popping in and dragging things down. I'm a big Beatles fan, so I am eager to dive into the supplements soon

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Pan's Labyrinth
Guillermo Del Toro Trilogy: Cronos/Devil's Backbone/Pan's Labyrinth
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
The Executioner
Short Cuts (upgrade)
Boyhood

holy living gently caress

When are these coming out?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

To the folks who have just bought Inside Llewyn Davis, definitely watch the special feature about the folk music scene of the time. It really helps the viewer understand Davis's character and situation.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Its a good day when I can get Devin Faraci to stump hard for the story of Triumph of the Will or Birth of the Nation being important for the Canon.

Birth of a Nation is an important film. Yes, it's racist and that should not be downplayed, but in terms of technology and cinematography, it was a huge achievement of its time.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Branded to Kill is a lot better than Tokyo Drifter

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I ran into a Barnes and Noble unexpectedly and had to slip in. Impulse bought THE BLOB!!!!!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

Is that all from this sale? Geez.

I'm jealous.

Yeah

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

Here's mine.

I got a handful of OOP titles at once but I've been buying about ten a year since 2009. It really adds up!

nice!

nice!!!!!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lists are boring; post pics

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Agreed. All of the no people that come to my house are impressed by my movies

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

For me that one is Sans Soleil, I loving hated it, it was 100% not something I would have ever gone out of my way to watch if it weren't a blind buy. I hate to use this term in this thread but it just felt so pretentious.

Have you ever tried rewatching it? Whenever I watch something that I think is pretentious, I always try to figure out whether I'm having that reaction because of the way I am evaluating the film. Sometimes I am placing my own expectations on it and then evaluating based on how it lives up to those. Or I call is pretentious because I'm taking it too literally and judge it as being self-important, when in actuality it isn't trying to be, and its words are a lot less important than the import I am giving them.

Anyway, try watching it again, now that you know what it is. Don't try to analyze its message, just enjoy it as a series of moments.

Also I love Benjamin Button and if nothing else the three-hour "making of" special feature is one of the best in the entire collection

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kubrick is one of my all time favorites but for some reason every time I went to B&N (six times or so) I would pick up both The Killing and Paths of Glory and then put them back down again. If the Shining, Strangelove, Eyes Wide Shut, and 2001 are some of my favorite films, am I being an idiot by never watching these two?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rusty Staub posted:

idk but twilight time just opened preorders for their blu of Hardcore, which you should absolutely watch if you're a GCS fan

I had never heard of this store. What makes their releases worth $30?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Baby's Day Out, director's cut

:worship:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I found Walkabout to be quite boring and didn't finish it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Not all of these are films I actually regret buying, but looking through my Criterion order history I've wound up selling or trading a whole bunch:

Children of Paradise
Autumn Sonata
Late Spring
The Vanishing
Umberto D.
La Jetée/Sans Soleil
Vivre sa vie
Band of Outsiders
Persona
Pickpocket
Walkabout
La dolce vita
L’avventura
Branded to Kill
Jules and Jim

That's the risk with blind buying I suppose. With the exception of Sans Soleil though all of them were films I'm glad I watched, just wish they had been rentals instead of buys I suppose.

what the gently caress

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is the worst goddamn page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Godard one? Yeah I really liked it. I have very little desire to delve further into Godard's filmography though.

I assume you have seen Breathless. If not, read up on its importance and then watch it ASAP