Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
about to sign up for the criterion channel 14 day trial

anybody got any sweet promo codes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

What are the major gems leaving Criterion Channel this month?

I've seen:

The Thing
The Crazies
Experiment in Terror
Hard Eight
Season of the Witch
Hills Have Eyes
Duck Soup
Driller Killer
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
The Marx Bros stuff.
Images
To Sleep With Anger
Days of Heaven

Is this because of the Amazon deal, or just a normal occurrence?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I watched Army of Shadows.

When I watch a movie that's about the French resistance, I expect at least one scene where a beautiful French woman rides a bicycle with a basket full of groceries on the front but then it turns out that under the groceries there's a gun or a bomb or some documents or something. Not only does Army of Shadows not have any scene anything like that, not having that scene is clearly the whole point of the movie.

So it was disappointing. Army of Shadows was a bad blind-buy.

yeah you're literally describing a scene from Battle of Algiers, that's how loving good and influential it is

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
make some gazpacho before you watch it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

smallmouth posted:

I watched Thelma the other night. It was a bit slow, but overall good. I really enjoyed how it led you to believe her parents were super repressive. They were, but with reason--I liked how they weren't just a cheap caricature. She ends up killing her father in the most horrible way possible. And she heals her mother who is a paraplegic, despite her mother insisting her father kill her.

The film also resisted explaining too much. It didn't describe her powers in much detail other than they were hereditary. It never explains how her mother came to be in a wheelchair, but after her baby brother and father I assume it was caused by Thelma. I like some mystery left over in a film to think about.

Her mother was traumatized by what happened to her brother and tried, and failed, to take her own life

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

completely depends on licensing, sometimes the Criterion release will be the first time a movie has shown up on blu, other times it could be years. Or in most cases, likely never!

Is uncut gems like one of the fastest turnarounds on a film being released and it getting a criterion release?

Guess The Lighthouse might be one of those “couple of years” or “never” movies, although I hope it eventually gets included if only because it feels like criterion’s become a proving ground for “legitimacy” or staying power with art films and I don’t want it to be a flash-in-the-pan.

Then again Punch Drunk Love is the only PTA work in the criterion collection and you’d be hard-pressed to find anybody, even anybody at criterion, who thinks it’s like his best work or “better” than like Magnolia or TWBB.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 1, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DetoxP posted:

There are actually a lot of people who think this. I think it's his 3rd best above either of those movies.

Are the Master and Phantom Thread the best two?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Roth posted:

I watched Mishima last night. This movie feels, stylistically, head and shoulders above just about any other biopic I can think of.

yeah they’ve really come a long way with the TEKKEN cut scenes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DetoxP posted:

How... Do I know you? Yes.

(Yeah, I find people either really like Magnolia, Boogie Nights, and There Will be Blood as a block, or they're really into The Master, Phantom Thread, and PDL as a block)

people like Boogie Nights for the smut

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I've only watched 17 of them so far, chronologically from the beginning plus The Skin I Live In, but I wouldn't say that any of them haven't aged well. I don't think there's anything in any of them that someone might be unhappier about today than many people would've been unhappy about the day those movies were released. He has a lot of stuff that can rub you the wrong way, and for me the rape stuff in a few films doesn't work, but I don't think that's at all to do with changing norms. There were plenty of people upset about any given topic that he touches on in his films back when those films came out.

I don’t think anybody would really disagree that it is more frowned upon/scrutinized to flippantly use the sexual assault of a character as a dramatic tool or plot point in 2021 than it was in the 1970s-90s.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Looking for a new Criterion
Ask the Barnes and Noble employee if Valeri and Her Week of Wonders is creepy or a movie for European perverts
she doesn't understand
I pull out a diagram explaining what is creepy and what is a movie for European perverts
she laughs and says "it's a good movie, sir"
buy Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
it's a movie for European perverts

sounds like you should marry that lady

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

just casually strolling through b&n with my European pervert diagram at the ready

https://youtu.be/zyBjbqKPIj0?t=2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Huh, Beasts of No Nation is on Criterion. Wasn’t that film initially backed by Netflix? I wonder if there are other Netflix movies on Criterion...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, Criterion has a deal with Netflix
So Marriage Story and the Irishman are also on Criterion.

to continue my rant from the CineD GenChat thread the other day, they gotta work out a deal with whomever owns the rights to Freddy Got Fingered

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Picked up a lot of poo poo;

-Le Samourai
-Ghost Dog
-Brazil
-Memories of Murder
-The Elephant Man
-Silence of the Lambs
-Bruce Lee Collection
-Portrait of a Lady on Fire
-Sanjuro
-Man bites Dog
-Onibaba
-Eyes Without a Face
-Sisters

https://youtu.be/dZ2q9NmYf6g

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

March titles announced! https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse?popular=coming-soon

Super stoked for a Last Waltz 4K.

wanna see that nostril coke in 4K

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

checkplease posted:

lol from that article Michael Bay is surprised that Criterion still exists past the laser disc days.

Get him to the closet.

I could make a case for Ambulance and maybe Pain & Gain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Need a criterion of the best 70s disaster films too. Airport, Posiedon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquakes, Black Sunday, and The Swarm.