Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I picked up the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box set and I already have Seven Samurai. If I love all three of those then can I assume I will also love Hidden Fortress? I don't usually blind-buy Criterions but I haven't been disappointed in a Kurosawa film yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really what I'm discovering is Criterion has put out pretty much every major Kurosawa film so I have quite a few to go through. No way I can afford them all in this sale.

No Ran though in the Criterion collection. I really enjoyed seeing Kurosawa do color.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm going Malick for this sale, Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toebone posted:

I picked up Days of Heaven during the last sale, its a beautiful transfer. I might go Badlands this time.

You know I've never actually seen Badlands. Is it anywhere near the same level visually as Days of Heaven? The visuals are what I love most about Malik's work.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would say that Hidden Fortress is the most Kurosawa of all Kurosawa films, except that I just saw High and Low for the first time recently so I found out the guy had a lot more tricks in his bag than I ever realized. I should probably just say gently caress it and go through his entire filmography one by one at this point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
GodDAMN The Thin Red Line is an absolutely gorgeous film. I saw it when I was a teenager but I just couldn't appreciate it then. It feels like a cross between David Lean and Stanley Kubrick, there was a tracking shot in there that felt like a definite homage to Paths of Glory.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really wish Shoah was on Hulu because I desperately want to see it but I can't imagine its one of those films I'd want to watch every year like a lot of the other Criterions I own. I expect its a pretty draining experience.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

... most of the running time is spent watching dudes wander aimlessly in the desert, if that sounds like your thing.

You've said the magic words!

But seriously, I've been surprised to find out recently that this is actually my thing. I loved Stagecoach but there wasn't quite enough desert wandering for my taste.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

Look into El Topo if you haven't.

Its been on my radar for some time now but I haven't run across it on the streaming services I subscribe to. I'll have to make a more specific effort to track it down.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was No Country for Old Men too commercially successful for a Criterion release? I feel like it would be awesome if they gave it the full treatment with documentaries and commentaries etc.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

VoodooXT posted:

I'm still holding out for "Kindergarten Cop".

I'm hoping for Priest starring cinema legends Paul Bettany and Karl Urban.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Is there a good place to stream some of the more obscure Criterion films before I consider buying them? I'd love to broaden my cinematic horizons but I don't really have the disposable income to blind-purchase movies I may or may not like, especially at Criterion prices.

Yea you can spend a few bucks for three months of Hulu and watch a new Criterion every day without running out of good poo poo to watch. I subscribed a while ago and I'm coming to the end of the Criterions I'm really interested in, but it took several months. Very, very worth it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess this technically isn't a question about buying Criterions, but I have a hulu subscription and I've been getting into Bergman lately. I wasn't in love with The Seventh Seal, but Persona and Cries and Whispers really blew me away. Where should I go next with Bergman? Hulu has plenty of options, Wild Strawberries, The Magician, The Silence, Virgin Spring, and several others I've never heard of. Are there any that I definitely shouldn't miss that maybe aren't talked about that much? I hear a lot of good things about Wild Strawberries.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Swagger Dagger posted:

You should definitely check out Fanny and Alexander, either the TV or theatrical version. I prefer the TV version but you might not want to devote 5-ish hours to it.

Eh, I say why gently caress around. I put all four episodes on my queue and I'll just split it up over like three nights.

Through a Glass Darkly sounds really good too. Bergman likes when people go to isolated places to deal with trauma doesn't he?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lot of good ones there, but Wild Strawberries should absolutely be your next stop. short, accessible, and arguably his best movie.

Yea I'll probably watch that tonight and save Fanny and Alexander for this weekend when I have more time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

-poo poo gets very heavy.

I feel like I probably experienced some of the worst of it with Cries and Whispers, although its not one of his long films. Very tempting to turn away from the screen at certain points.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DetoxP posted:

Fanny and Alexander is the greatest movie ever made so yeah you should watch it soon and watch the TV version for sure.

So I just finished episode 2 last night and its really hitting all the right notes for me. There's a whole cast of characters and I find them all really interesting, in fact Alexander may be the least interesting character of them all. The first episode was just hypnotic, I couldn't take my eyes of the screen. When I got into Bergman I had heard mostly about his earlier work, so I didn't expect the colors in some of these films to be so stunning. The family's house where they have the Christmas dinner is just breathtaking, the scenes were fun to watch even when nothing much was going on. And really, there's always something going on, because every character gets fleshed out and examined so that every single shot has some sort of characterization in it.

This Bergman guy was a genius, who knew?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThetaOmnikron posted:

So I saw (in a theatrical double-feature, maybe not the best way) Persona and Cries and Whispers a year or so back, and liked but didn't love them. Just watched the TV version of Fanny and Alexander and was floored– jesus, what a film. Where to next?

I had a very similar experience. I thought Persona and Cries and Whispers where great, but Fanny and Alexander was on a different level, it completely blew me away. I've never seen a film with that many compelling characters, Bergman makes you care about every single one of them. That Christmas dinner is one of the most masterful opening acts I've ever seen in terms of introducing a ton of different characters and establishing their main character traits without any of it feeling forced or contrived.

I wasn't a huge fan of The Seventh Seal. It was good but my least favorite Bergman so far. I haven't seen anything he's done that I outright disliked though. Wild Strawberries is excellent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What are some essential Criterions that aren't on Hulu? I want to maybe blind-buy something for this sale but I hate to spend money on something I could just check out on hulu for free.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I like big sweeping epics with great sets, costumes, and cinematography, I'm certain to like The Last Emperor right? Everything I read about it makes it seem like that kind of film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see a Criterion release of a great modern action movie like Die Hard or even The Matrix.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

The sweet spot for genre movie/important for historical context/maybe actually available/would love to see special features is a Near Dark release

Yea I'd say Near Dark would be a prime candidate. Bigelow is a well-known successful director and Near Dark has been somewhat overshadowed by her more recent output.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hows the transfer on the current Die Hard blu ray box set? Would there be any benefit to Criterion getting their hands on it other than special features?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've done pretty well with this sale so far, added a lot of good stuff to my collection. Picked up Fanny and Alexander,The Last Emperor, The Killing, and Kwaidan. I haven't seen Kwaidan yet but I'm really excited, I've read about its stylized look and I love horror anthologies in general.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

FWIW I watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time recently and thought it was terrible. I know it's based on historical figures and events, but the whole "Look at how great this white guy is for helping these brown people!" angle seemed kind of racist to me, but even worse than that it's just kind of boring.

Its kinda like, the opposite of that. I'd recommend watching it again but its pretty long so I imagine you probably won't. Its a shame because Lawrence of Arabia is one of THE best films of all-time, so you're missing out on something great. The visuals didn't do anything for you?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

It seemed to me that the better visuals in the film were used to transition between scenes (Like nice shots of the sun setting over the desert and the like), but I got the impression that most of the rest of the movie was more like a filmed stage-play (Outside of the few battle scenes I seem to remember the movie having). Like I think the film's script could pretty easily be turned into a play without too much being lost from what's in Lean's film.

I suppose that's true to a certain extent, but there's so many of them in the film that I'm not sure why that matters. Every 3-5 minutes there's another jaw-dropping shot of the desert, who cares if its a scene transition?

It does kinda suck though that the movie is a one-shot deal for most people, if they don't like it the first time they aren't going to sit through it a second time. Makes me sad because Lawrence of Arabia is one of those films that really transports me somewhere, its one of those rare film experiences that I can just immerse myself in completely.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got into Kurosawa initially because I was watching a ton of samurai films, so I missed High & Low for a while. I was pretty surprised when I did get around to it because High & Low is one of the best crime dramas ever made. I gained even more respect for Kurosawa after that because I didn't realize how versatile he was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Am I weird for liking Sanjuro more than Yojimbo? I love Yojimbo to pieces, but Sanjuro is hilarious and never fails to put a smile on my face.

I like them both pretty much equally, it would be tough to rank one over the other.

My favorite Kurosawa is still Ran though, because I'm a sucker for the way he used color.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Any love for The Bad Sleep Well here?

That's one of the two or three I have left to watch, its been sitting on my Hulu queue for a few months. That and Ikiru.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can handle one weirdo saying they don't like Lawrence of Arabia but no more than that please. The pressure is building up in my brain!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The sequel to the raid was ok, not as good as the fist. I hear a 3rd one is on the way.

I think its just such a different movie that its hard to even compare them, which works against it because people go in expecting another Die Hard scenario. It all becomes clear when you read about Berandal being the director's dream project and that he had to compromise and make The Raid first because it was an idea that could work on a much lower budget. I'm not sure the two movies should really be connected, I think Berandal may have been received better if it were just all brand new characters. Its not like anything that happens in The Raid is referenced in Berandal anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love films with cool visual stuff going on in them, is Tati a director I should start getting into? Playtime shows up on a lot of "visually impressive films" list, but I'm not sure I've read much about his other work.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radio Spiricom posted:

visually impressive is such a vague qualification...

Yea I watch and enjoy a ton of movies including westerns, Antonioni, and many many more. If there's something visually interesting about the movie there's a good chance I'll like it.

It actually sounds like Tati may not be my thing though only because I'm not all that into physical comedy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radio Spiricom posted:

but honestly, you should probably watch it and the few movies that precede it if you're interested! the worst that happens is that you've spent a few hours of your life and potentially some money on something which, while you may not have enjoyed it, is still enriching :shrug:

I would watch them today if I could get them free on hulu, but if I'm going to spend money on them I figure why not go all the way and buy them during the B&N sale. I ended up deciding against it though, maybe next year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm pissed because I just used an Amazon giftcard on Bone Tomahawk, Ex Machina, and The Martian. I could have probably waited on those if I knew this sale was going to happen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
McCabe & Mrs. Miller is an obvious blind-buy for me because I love Westerns but for some reason I've never gotten around to seeing it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Just watched the first film in my blind buy of the Apu trilogy, Pather Panchali. Really enjoyed it, and after learning about how the original print was almost totally destroyed Criterion did an incredible job restoring it from multiple sources. Can't wait to watch Aparajito.

Is there another film or series you might be able to compare it to? I'd love to get into Ray but the Apu Trilogy isn't on Hulu and I'm hesitant to spent that kind of money on a blind-buy. I feel like it would be weird to watch Ray's other stuff without seeing the Apu trilogy, but feel free to correct me on that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've seen Bicycle Thieves but its the only Italian neorealist film I've watched. I need to get into Rossellini, I've had Paisan and Rome Open City in my Hulu queue for a while now. Guess I'll hold off on Ray until I do that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ClydeUmney posted:

The first one I saw was The Music Room and I was blown away by it. The Apu Trilogy is incredible and moved me utterly, but you could start with The Music Room and be just fine. And it's available on its own.

Awesome, The Music Room is streaming on Hulu. A few others too, including The Big City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's so much in the collection that its really hard to control myself during these sales. I kinda want everything, although I try to stay away from blind-buys.

Well I broke that rule this time and grabbed Badlands and My Darling Clementine blind, but I love Ford and Malick so I really don't see it as much of a risk. It will be very interesting, having seen fully formed Malick, to go back and see his first feature.