Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I wouldn't mind a Janus Films shirt and a Criterion cap. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Feb. Criteions:

The Exterminating Angel
Simon of the Desert
Hobson's Choice
Shadows
Faces

http://www.criterion.com/asp/coming_soon.asp

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like the new layout. :shobon:

Looks like they have more budget-priced Essential Art House releases coming on Feb. 10th:

The 400 Blows
Black Orpheus
Pygmalion
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
La Strada
Ikiru

Looks like Black Orpheus and Pygmalion are the same as the existing bare-bones Criterions, but a MSRP $10 lower.

I'm really hoping they'll offer downloads of their old laserdisc commentaries, or even the DVD commentaries for their OOP discs.

edit: Awesome, they have some non-Criterion films up for download/viewing here: http://www.theauteurs.com/films

L'age D'or, Cops (Buster Keaton), and The General.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 25, 2008

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I can't believe Criterion hasn't released Det sjunde inseglet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion changed their listing for Magnificent Obsession again. It was listed as 1.33:1 first, then changed to 2.00:1 and now it's back at 1.33:1 again. I'm hoping the nimrods at CF didn't bully them into going open matte.

At the same time, the BluRay of The Last Emperor is now listed as 2.35:1 instead of 2.00:1. :smug:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Le Corbeau, Variety Lights, and Quai Des Orfevres go back in print on March 10th.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v1_list_studio.asp?userid=99366380583724&studio_id=57

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.criterion.com/contact_us

Heh.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ugh, this thread is turning into Criterionforum.org

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That's good if they finally got WB to license out stuff. They're having a lot of financial troubles recently and it's obvious the classics are going to be hit the worst. TCM recently released some movies themselves and they had to be DVD-Rs because the print run was so low. Hopefully it includes their silents since they have some big titles that have been in the works for years like Greed, The Big Parade, and The Crowd. Then again, 2009 is supposed to be a big 90th anniversary promotion of MGM.

Also, the Russian films aren't as quite about good or bad elements, but their a bit difficult to deal with. I've heard Potemkin has a camera negative in the Mosfilm archive, but it would be cost prohibitive to handle it apparently. The recent restoration had to use elements from England and Germany. Bondarchuk's War and Piece has full 65mm negatives in a Ukaranian archive, but the Russians own the rights. No one can make an agreement, so here we are with a subpar version.

On the other hand, Turner persuaded a Czech archive to hand over the Technicolor scenes from the '25 Ben-Hur by giving them a fresh 70mm print of the '59 movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

May Criterions:

Wise Blood

The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Pigs, Pimps & Prostitutes: 3 Films by Shohei Imamura
- Pigs and Battleships
- The Insect Woman
- Intentions of Murder

Eclipse Series 16:
Alexander Korda's Private Lives
- The Private Life of Henry VIII
- The Rise of Catherine the Great
- The Private Life of Don Juan
- Rembrandt

Ran

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 14, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Suburbia is a Sony film, so perhaps Bottle Rocket isn't the only one we're seeing licensed from them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Z has a good shot at being a Criterion release. The Wellspring DVD is OOP, Rialto Pictures has a 40th anniversary re-release for this year, and the new prints have the Janus Films logo.

Hopefully this isn't just wishful thinking as it would be a great pick for BluRay, not to mention a Criterion edition period.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Funny how Button gets a Criterion edition, but it'll help them release a lot of less prominent films. I'm guessing there's a slipcase with a much better cover inside (like the last two Wes Anderson releases).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Zabriskie Point wasn't licensed from Warner to Criterion, but it looks like some were "at the behest of their directors". I'm guessing that's a lock for Before Sunrise/Before Sunset and The Fountain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

So are the Weinsteins just huge irl trolls or something

Actually, it's probably just a snag because of renewals. Breathless was also licensed from Genius Entertainment. The Weinstein Co. doesn't have control over the old Wellspring stuff. Ran also has rights with StudioCanal and NHK, so maybe that's the problem.

I dunno how many films stuck with the Weinsteins after leaving Miramax (only the Samuel Bronston epics seem to be under license). Criterion getting Like Water for Chocolate would be pretty awesome, given it still doesn't have an uncut or remastered DVD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I voted for Kwaidan since it looks like a visually stunning movie from stills I've seen... but I put in the comment box that it would be nice to get 8 1/2, F for Fake, Spartacus, and The Passion of Joan of Arc out as well. :)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Preording Playtime without a tiny bit of hesitation. :iamafag:

I'm hoping Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle aren't too far away, especially since they recently restored the "My Uncle" cut.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, Bottle Rocket is a pretty awesome disc. Flawless transfer, but I'm impressed by how all the extras are 1080p - both native (like the A+ looking 16mm short) and clearly upscaled. I hate having to wait for the format to change over from 1080p to 480i.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Soderbergh's Che?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, Amazon has Playtime down to $26.99 again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AFX532/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It looks like Paramount may merge/buy The Weinstein Company, so maybe that'll fix the problems with Ran.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You know you're in trouble when the "making of" is more interesting and entertaining than the feature film.

Yeah, I'm compelled to watch it since it had to be more interesting to make than the film itself.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I wasn't totally blown away the first time, but I decided to go ahead with ordering The Seventh Seal on Blu since I feel it's something I'll warm up to. It's been a few years and I at least liked it. I'm looking forward to The Last Emperor since everyone I know who has seen it has given it good words.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

drat, I just got my stimulus check and intend to use it on a new camera. :argh:

Although, it seems to be marginal for some titles. Amazon.com has a lot of the Blurays for $24. 50% off would make them around $20, but then there's sales tax or shipping. I'm just not sure if I want to spend a lot of money on DVDs.

On the other hand, this means the Essential Art House discs will be :10bux: each. I wouldn't mind stocking up on stuff to tide over until the BluRays. With that sale, the three released box sets would just be $150 together, which is pretty drat good for 18 films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maybe it's The Quiet Man? It's unlikely Fox or Warner would license anything since they just put out huge box sets of Ford's films a few years ago. This would include 3 Godfathers.

My hunch is on TQM since the current DVD is awful and I found this bit of trivia on the IMDB:

"While all other saddled horses are seen with English saddles (as would be expected in Ireland during that time period), Sean's (John Wayne's) horse is saddled with a US Army-issue McClellan cavalry saddle."

And I guess "a dry christmas in Monument Valley" could mean it's a Ford movie NOT set in MV and it'll be a December release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I doubt it's The Quiet Man, which has absolutely nothing to do with Monument Valley. I find your reasoning very odd.

I hope it's not a Ford film, but that seems like the most obvious conclusion to draw.

My guess is that a "dry Christmas" in Momement Valley translates to a John Ford movie that's not set there, with the Criterion coming out in December. All of the other films he shot at MV are on DVD. Really, 3 Godfathers is the only other one that would fit this.

vvv Maybe it's an Eclipse set of lovely movies shot at Monument Valley, such as Wild Wild West, Lightning Jack, and Vertical Limit

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 11, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Yes, I understand your reasoning, I just think it's a big stretch. From there, it's only a short jump to "any film not shot in Monument Valley".

Now the .org people are speculating it's Stagecoach. I guess it would be a good pick since Warner's SE DVD still doesn't use UCLA's restoration apparently. But it would only be justified with a BluRay release. (and Stagecoach is one of a dozen-so titles licensed to Warner along with Foreign Correspondent, To Be or Not to Be, and A Face in the Crowd).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like I'm getting the Blus for Bottle Rocket, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and The 400 Blows, plus the pared-down EAH versions of Grand Illusion and Beauty and the Beast. $80 shipped. :woop:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, it's shipping tomorrow already. :aaa:

Did anyone else get sales tax added to their order?

FitFortDanga posted:

El Norte, El Norte, and El Norte

And Last Year at Marienbad.

I was SO close to getting El Norte, but I don't think I'll watch it more than once. Great movie, but not the most rewatchable unfortunately.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon lowered their prices on The Man Who Fell to Earth, The 400 Blows, and For All Mankind to match B&N. :argh:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Aren't there announcements today?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SneakySneaks posted:

Like FFD said, probably late tonight or tomorrow. Since it's for October Cronos will be one of the announcements since it's a horror film and even though it lost the amazon poll I'm still hoping Kwaidan gets a blu-ray release.

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

They should, there are so many classic horror movies that need restorations done (The Haunting and The Innocents specifically). Also since Masters of Cinema released Nosferatu I'm kinda expecting Criterion to release it at some point, at least I'm hopeful given the bang up job they did on Vampyr.

Warner's DVD for The Haunting is terrific. Short of including the recently found workprint with extra scenes, it has a great transfer, along with a commentary track with Robert Wise. If Warner is to license anything, it needs to be their silent films. Criterion doing von Stroheim's Greed = awesome.

All of the Transit Films/Murnau Foundation restorations are licensed to Kino in R1. MoC seems to have rights in R2 UK. Vampyr is owned by the Danish Film Institute. But there's confirmations of several of Paramount's silents being licensed (i.e. their three von Sternberg films and Stroheim's The Wedding March).

If anything, I'd like to see Criterion finally do some animation releases. Paramount owns all the 1930s Max Fleischer cartoons (except for Popeye), as well as all the George Pal Puppetoons.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

What the gently caress, when did this happen?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/alternateversions

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'll get Z on the merits of it being a fantastic film, but I'm shocked it's DVD-only and it doesn't quite have a great array of extras. Wellspring had the R2 French DVD's commentary with Costa-Gavras, albiet in French - and apparently not subtitled. Criterion could have included a transcription text commentary at least.

Surprising, considering one of its best merits is the cinematography.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looking at .org's forthcoming list, the only confirmations left for the year are one Paramount/von Sternberg silent (most likely The Last Command), whatever film hinted in the newsletter (most likely Stagecoach), Senso, and Shanghai Express.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just from skimming, The 400 Blows and The Man Who Fell to Earth look amazing on BluRay. Almost like new films.

The Essential Art House editions of Grand Illusion and Beauty and the Beast seem to be identical in transfer to the full-on editions. Digital cleanup, "Bete" has the original opening credits, and no windowboxing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Word of wisdom:

There is absolutely no reason not to jump to get F for Fake at $20. Awesome movie and it's one of the few DVDs I've actually gone through all the supplements at least once. I've watched "One Man Band" thrice. And it's Orson Welles.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What if you barely have enough money for gas and every time you drive past B&N your insides are gnawed away a little more?

Stupid sale. Making my life difficult.

It's $20. I look at it as giving an hour of my daily wages a spine number.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm really wanting to get my first Eclipse, but I'm rattling my brains on it.

None of them interest me incredibly except for Lubitsch Musicals, which I've already watched half-way (The Love Parade and One Hour With You on Netflix). The Louis Malle documentaries look interesting, but I'm not sure if even the $40 discounted price is worth a blind-buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

You've seen the better half of the Lubitsch set. If those two aren't compelling you to buy it, the other two won't seal the deal.

I've got the Kaurismaki, Mizoguchi, Bergman and Kurosawa sets. I'm a big fan of all four directors so naturally I'm very happy with them. But for you I'd recommend the Kaurismaki. I think you'd like his stuff, and for $20.24 it's a steal.

I really liked the one film I've seen so far from the Shimizu set. drat, another temptation...

How are The Smiling Lieutenant and Monte Carlo? I loved the other two.

There's really only two dozen other Criterions I'd jump to get if without monetary (or Blu release) concern, plus the Lubitsch Eclipse set. It's taking restraint on the Hulot films (except for the Playtime Blu on preorder). I already own about that many if you include two EAH and The Red Balloon.