Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Get either The 39 Steps or The Lady Vanishes, then. They even have both the full-on Criterions and the Essential Art House cheapies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That 20% coupon is tempting me really bad on some of the DVDs...

$32 for the Eisenstein box set is really good, but I remember being distracted by the weird remix on Alexander Nevsky. Did Mosfilm mess with the tracks on Ivan the Terrible?

Is the Jean Painleve set worth a blind buy? I like old nature films and educational shorts and $16 doesn't seem like a bad price.

I guess I just need to figure out what I'll get with Vampyr since it's only $16 after the coupon.

Since they're basically the UK Criterion... does anyone have any Masters of Cinema DVDs? I'm locked into importing their upcoming Sunrise BluRay, but I'd like input on the German silents (Nosferatu, Faust, The Last Laugh, etc) and others. The DVD Beaver reviews look favorable, but I'd like to know if anyone here has them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bmmello posted:

Well, it has for me. I love the Yo La Tengo score they did for some of the shorts and I also look forward to watching them with the original soundtrack/narration in the future.

I own the two Masters of Cinema blu-rays released so far: Mad Detective and Tokyo Sonata. They are both quite good (and region-free). Don't own any of the silents though.

Just ordered Faust, Nosferatu, and The Last Laugh... even after S&H and VAT, it was $15 cheaper than getting the Kino ports here. :v:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's one of those films that has a lot of flaws, but it actually adds to the experience. I'm looking forward to watching it again in Blu.

Just ordered Vampyr, the Louis Malle documentaries Eclipse, and the Jean Painleve collection. $77 shipped! $19.99 for Vampyr and Painleve, $31.99 (after the 20% off coupon) for Malle. Even if I don't like the latter two, I'll at least break even on a resell.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Oh poo poo, I accidentally ordered twice. I accidentally placed without the Painleve DVD and immediately canceled it so I could re-place. Now I'm getting two copies each of Vampyr and the Malle docs. :byodood:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

That shouldn't be hard to cancel. Otherwise I'll take them. :v:

I should have a little extra side money coming to me so I think I'm going to order Marienbad. We'll see.

They wouldn't let me cancel. It was $52 for the DVDs and it'll probably cost about $4 for me to ship, so is $56 shipped OK? I'll give you my Paypal address once it's delivered.

Otherwise, I'll put them on Amazon for marginally lower than their prices and make $50 more. :v:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Haha, by "take" I mean that quite literally. I'm so broke. :( You should find a buyer on Amazon or eBay easy enough.

Do you have anything to trade? I'd be happy to trade Vampyr for another Criterion or something. I'll even Paypal whatever it costs to ship.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like being generous to goons, though. :)

Really, the only things I'd refuse to trade for would be Michael Bay or Uwe Boll.

Didn't realize For All Mankind is $20 on Amazon (along with When We Left Earth), so I snatched that up when I found an old Coinstar Amazon certificate I got months ago.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

This is the one title where I've broken my "if it's worth owning, it's worth owning on Blu-Ray" rule. There's no way in hell I'm getting rid of the Doinel box (until they release the whole thing on BR) and I don't like having multiple copies of any movie. Even at a steal of a price, I just hate "clutter" in my collection.

I'm actually in the process of selling all my DVDs that are on BluRay and/or I already upgraded. Instead of having a bunch of copies of one movie, I'm simply making DVD-Rs to keep alongside the BluRays.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Any takers for my extra Vampyr and Malle Documentaries Eclipse? $22.50 for Vampyr, $34.50 for the Malle. $57 for both. I got Vampyr today and the Malle is coming tomorrow.

Also, I watched The Seventh Seal and The Last Emperor in Blu over the weekend. Absolutely stunning... I couldn't believe how flawless TSS looked. And the 2:1 crop on TLE didn't seem to hurt the compositions at all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The EAH editions are a great idea. Since Grand Illusion and La Bete et la belle are quite likely BluRays for the near future, :10bux: movie-only editions are a great idea as interim discs.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Am I the only person who refuses to buy their SD stuff anymore now that they're releasing Blu-Rays? I just hate the idea of knowing that I'll inevitably double-dip :ohdear: Then again I haven't bought a single SD-DVD since I got a Blu-Ray player so I guess it has less to do with Criterion and more to do with me being a snob.

I'm picky for all studios, but I'm generally sticking out for anything post-1970. Before, I'm not holding my breath. Although, BFI and Masters of Cinema are real wild cards right now. We're getting Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen, a 5 1/2 hr. silent epic, on BluRay next year from them.

On the other hand, Criterion and their :effort: upcoming Z DVD...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Don't forget that several Criterions are going to be upgraded likely within a few months. Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes, and Rashomon all have new 4K digital restorations available and have already had BluRays released in other regions.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I noticed B&N still has Contempt on sale and it's discounted. Is this worth buying since it's OOP? Also, Repulsion is now on sale as well (both DVD and Blu).

(Also, I can't believe how unbelievably flimsy the Eclipse slipcovers are - I thought they made these side-loading after the first set?)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bah, just went ahead on Repulsion (Blu), Raymond Bernard (Les Miserables is on a LOT of top movies lists), and Contempt. Probably will end up re-selling Contempt, though. I put up my extra Malle on Amazon for $49, which is $1 less than the cheapest sealed reseller. :smug:

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 30, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bmmello posted:

I'll take them both. Do you mind shipping it to Brazil? I'll pay whatever shipping charges you might have. Contact me on PM.

Great! I don't have platinum, so email me at: flickeringwindow@gmail.com

Send over your address so I can figure out the S&H cost. It'll just be $52 plus the minimum to ship. I'll give you my Paypal info once I have it ready to ship.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

DVDBeaver on the Blu-Rays for Kagemusha and Playtime.

drat, three weeks until Playtime is in my hands. The caps look fantastic... this is going to be demo BluRay material. I just hope it sells well enough to get the other Tati films on Blu.

BTW, I stopped by a B&N while visiting relatives and ended up picking up The Rules of the Game. No idea why I overlooked it since I've wanted it for a while. They were really picked over, too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

B&N membership isn't making a huge difference. I think I would have saved $25.00 across all of what I've bought so far anyways.

Be ready to be taken aback by The Seventh Seal. Best B&W BluRay I've seen so far.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bmello: Your DVDs have been shipped.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Janus Films is going to be the new North American distributor of the Charlie Chaplin Estate library, which is all of his independently produced films from 1917-1957. This includes City Lights, Modern Times, The Gold Rush, The Great Dictator, etc.

The good news is that the Warner and MK2 DVDs in R1 and R2 are all out of print, so Criterion editions are inevitable, or at least a Merchant Ivory styled line.

The old Fox/Image editions were quite good, but Warner's editions had fluff extras (not one commentary), PAL speedup and ghosting, and dropped original cuts in favor of re-release versions.

City Lights with a spine number = :woop:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

LightsGameraAction posted:

This is fantastic news. I haven't seen as much Chaplin as I should but hopefully now I'll have the chance to correct that.

Wow, your best buy actually stocks criterions? All the ones around me only stock the more well known recent stuff like Benjamin Button and Life Aquatic.

I picked up F for Fake from a Best Buy, but it was in Atlanta. Then again, I found Citizen Kane on sale in an Atlanta Walmart.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has a bunch of $39.99 MSRP Criterion DVDs on sale right now for $15.99...

If....
The Third Man (DVD and Blu!)
M
8 1/2
Peeping Tom
Bicycle Thieves
The 39 Steps
A Canterbury Tale
The Man Who Fell to Earth (DVD and Blu!)
L'Eclisse
49th Parallel
The Lady Vanishes
The Tin Drum
I Know Where I'm Going
L'Avventura
Black Narcissus
Amarcord
A Night to Remember
Lord of the Flies
Pandora's Box
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
La Strada
Overlord
The Ruling Class
The Tales of Hoffman
The Browning Version
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Great Expectations
Green for Danger
Naked
Brief Encounter
Billy Liar
Mona Lisa
The Red Shoes
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Kind Hearts and Coronets
The Threepenny Opera
Oliver Twist
Salvatore Giuliano
Jubilee
Mamma Roma
Henry V
Divorce Italian Style
The Small Black Room
This Sporting Life

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 4, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, The Leopard is $29.99 and Le Samourai is $18.99.

It's apparently an "indie DVD" sale.

Also, looks like the B&N sale ends in about 2 1/2 hours.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 4, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

If Eclipse gives me some nice collections of poo poo like One A.M. and The Rink I'll suck their dicks off.

Get the 90th Anniversary 4-disc set of Mutual shorts from Image/Blackhawk. All 12 films are restored and remastered with orchestral scores. Plus it has some documentaries.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd make a good bit of money picking up OOP or exclusive DVDs. Found Meet Joe Black Ultimate Edition at a supermarket for $9 and got $40 on Amazon. $9 for The Blues Brothers, then $40 because it went OOP. Two weeks later, the $16.99 special edition came out. :smugdog:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

At least it's not comic sans.

Has anyone picked up any Criterions from the Amazon sale? They're starting to go back up in price (most of the $15 titles are now $16). I went ahead and got Green for Danger, La Strada, If...., Bicycle Thieves, The Lady Vanishes, Peeping Tom, and Pandora's Box. Between it being on the store card and the scheduled ship date being the first week of Sept., it won't even get charged for a month. :smug:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

This is a great sale. It's not just Criterions.

Lots of MGM "World Films" titles (Fellini, Zhang, Kurosawa, etc)
Lots of Animeigo titles (including one of my all-time favorites Revenge of a Kabuki Actor)
Jodorowski box $22.99
Herzog boxes $38.49 each
Bava boxes $22.99 each
Zatoichi collector's box $56.49
La Dolce Vita deluxe collector's edition $31.99
tons more

Full list of titles here

I picked up The Bothersome Man which I was planning to buy anyway... for $11.99 it's a sweet deal.

I'd like to pick up some Herzog films since I haven't seen ANYTHING from him, but I sort of wonder if BluRays are likely considering Anchor Bay's selections. Got a ton of his films on my Netflix queue anyways. I'm really only picky on renting vs. buying if it's something Netflix will send out as a lovely Westlake disc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Only the 2-disc edition of The Life Aquatic has a slipcover (since the cover art is in the usual Eric Chase Anderson drawing style). The 1-disc edition has a reversible cover, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I used to keep everything chronological... one shelf for pre-1930, 1930-1939, 1940-1949, etc. with box sets, collections, compilations, and other oddball stuff given their own sections. It works for me since alphabetical puts Manos: The Hands of Fate between Manhunter and Mary Poppins... and no one else I know is going to give a poo poo about spine numbers. Even one friend who's a fan of Criterion DVDs didn't notice they were numbered until after accumulating a lot.

Chronological looks awesome to me since it looks a bit more respectable and feels more scholarly. Separating BluRays becomes ostentatious. Although, I might change my mind only on the Criterions after buying so freaking many of their DVDs and BluRays after the B&N and Amazon sales.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 11, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I got my Raymond Bernard Eclipse from B&N today, but the Les Miserables case is all cracked. Can I get a replacement case from Criterion or do I need to send the whole thing back to B&N?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

3-Strip Technicolor ended around 1954-1955 while the industry switched to Eastmancolor negative by mid-decade. This is mainly because they were able to print in the Technicolor dye-transfer process from Eastmancolor negative. Not quite the same since the earlier films using the stocks were a bit grainier and had some minor issues. If you see the Rear Window restoration, you'd notice it's slightly grainy despite most of it being sourced from the negative.

Robert Harris put up a full list of American/British 3-strip films on his column at The Digital Bits:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/robertharris/harris072303.html
(I think it's fairly complete, but I recall a few more films from 1953-1955

Dye-transfer printing continued through the mid-1970s, though. Suspiria and the original 1995 prints of Toy Story were dye-transfer and a lot of 1998-2002 films used Technicolor's revival of the process (most notably Pearl Harbor and Bulworth, and Apocalypse Now Redux).

Disney was the main exception as they continued to shoot all their animated features in 3-strip through the 1980s (the last being The Little Mermaid).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's also The Wedding March, and the Paramount Von Sternberg silents.

Also, I didn't realize Monsoon Wedding was from Universal... this gives me hope Criterion gets to handle Spartacus for BluRay.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Television set looks awesome, even if it looks like Eclipse material if it didn't have commentaries and interviews. Still, I'd buy it if it's on sale.

I guess that leaves December as the last gasp of amazement for the month. Aren't Eclipse sets bi-monthly?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Playtime (Blu) shipped from Amazon today! Also looks like Bicycle Thieves and La Strada will be waiting for me when I get home from work, with Pandora's Box, Peeping Tom, Green for Danger, and The Lady Vanishes getting here on Tuesday. Lord of the Flies and If.... don't seem to be scheduled until the first week of September.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got Playtime today... I'm watching the whole film tomorrow, but from a little skimming, this looks fantastic. Still not the big screen experience Tati intended, but it's like looking into a window.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zeroordie posted:

I picked this up today as well. I'm watching it projected through a Sony 4k at a local theatre on Wednesday night, I'm super excited. I'm really curious to see how blu-ray holds up on a screen that big.

I skimmed a bit as well and was equally impressed, although I do have to say that I wish they had made the transfer from 65mm elements instead of 35mm though.

At 1080p, it would barely make any difference. That's why WB opted the same for 2001 since a proper 35mm reduction will retain the detail that will show up in a 1080p. It was specially made for transfer anyways.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2009/08/exclusive-criterion-collection-unveils.html

The Playlist got a ton of information from Jonathan Turell concerning upcoming releases. Here's the short list:

- Stagecoach is coming in December and is sourced from the UCLA restoration
- The French Lieutenant's Woman coming in 2010 (licensed from MGM)
- Criterion is working on securing video rights for the Chaplin films
- Akira Kurosawa 25-film box set coming in 2010
- Revanche is an early 2010 release
- Von Sternberg silents "probably" in 2010
- No plans for Scorsese's short films
- IFCFilms has a 12-film deal with Criterion (with Che, A Christmas Tale, and Gomorrah included)
- Ang Lee's Ride with the Devil director's cut coming in May 2010

Now that Stagecoach is finally confirmed, I really hope they don't pull a Z and make it DVD-only.

edit: Also, Downhill Racer is Paramount, not Warner.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 26, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Well, Japan is getting a lot of BluRays soon. All of Criterion's main line releases utilized HD transfers (with Seven Samurai being 2K). Plus, Rashomon now has a 4K restoration available.

ITV is releasing BluRays of The 39 Steps, Henry V, and Hamlet in October, so there's more possible remasters Criterion can release. I recall The 39 Steps not looking "great" at least in comparison to The Lady Vanishes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I doubt they'd do that so soon after putting The 39 Steps out as an Essential Arthouse title (Sep 9 or something).

For BluRay. Although, it seems that all their BluRays so far are identical to the DVD editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's possible that due to the complexity of the box, they can't confirm anything. They're probably still working on getting Ran back from the Weinsteins, Dersu Uzula from Kino/Mosfilm, etc. Although, the latter can't be that big of a deal outside of film element issues since they've licensed from Kino and Mosfilm.