Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bound would absolutely be a great choice for Criterion if they can do a UHD. The Olive Films "Signature" edition is worth seeking out, though, they decided to encode the theatrical and unrated cuts as separate files, so they're kind of anemic for compression. Does have most of the Arrow UK extras. It's owned by Paramount via the Melange Pictures library (Spelling Entertainment, Republic Pictures, all the bits and pieces that make up the old National Telefilm Associates catalog).

At this point, I'm happy as long as one of the prime boutiques gets a title so it can be handled properly.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Release a Glengarry Glen Ross 4K you bastards

Shout! Factory has it via the Westchester Films library, which they now own. Interesting package of films as it also includes Stagecoach and To Be or Not to Be (and other pre-60s classics), but it also includes the North American rights to John Cassevettes' self-produced films. They've worked with Criterion on some of these films, but also licensed a few to ClassicFlix.

(The titles Criterion has handled in the past like the Cassavettes and Stagecoach aren't in danger as Shout! Factory licensed Smithereens since their purchase)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Ah dammit it's from a new 4K scan but the release itself isn't UHD.

Shout has made some interesting choices for UHD. Obviously, anything horror and sci-fi is going to sell, but they've put out stuff like WarGames, The Last Detail, and Used Cars recently.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Good to know the Olive Films edition of Bound is the one I should look for while I wait in vain.

Oh, actually, one last one I desperately wish they would release - American Movie, with an actual transfer of Coven as an extra. From what I understand the existing BD is great but doesn't include Coven, and that documentary, man, it's something special. It'd go well with Crumb.

Just make sure it's the signature edition as the earlier Blu-ray is bare-bones and doesn't have a good encode.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

Picked up the Three Colors set in 4K, will report back after I’ve watched them. Not sure if I’ll end up getting anything else, considering the Varda set too though. I’ve cut back on collecting quite a bit but I still appreciate box sets that let me explore a particular director/studio/genre/etc.

I'd say Varda is possibly the greatest "big box" Criterion has released so far in terms of quality of the films and the overall content. Bergman was quite fun, but a lot of his early work is pretty forgettable and Varda never made anything as bad as The Touch. It also helps she's just so drat charming in every interview and her own documentaries.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Watching Mister Freedom right now. I was just expecting a satire of American stupidity and imperialism, but this is way weirder than I could've imagined.

This really needs a proper blu-ray or 4k release instead of just being tossed into a DVD box set. Is it "good"? I have no idea, but it's fascinating.

There's at least ten Eclipse sets I'd happily buy if they were updated to Blu-ray.

Good time as any to note which Eclipse sets HAVE had upgrades, at least in full or partial...

Early Bergman - All featured in Ingmar Bergman's Cinema except for Torment (only scripted by Bergman)
Raymond Bernard - Both Wooden Crosses and Les Miserables received Masters of Cinema UK Blu-rays from 4K restorations, though now OOP
Silent Ozu - I Was Born, But... featured extra on Good Morning
Larisa Shepitko - The Ascent received a solo Blu-ray
Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr - Putney Swope received a Blu from Vinegar Syndrome
Pearls of the Czech New Wave - Daises received a solo Blu-ray
Early Fassbinder - All titles among Arrow's UK sets
Agnes Varda in California - All contents within the complete Varda box set

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: See my post in SA Mart here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036145

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 9, 2023

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Selling sweet sweetback? For shame!

I have the Van Peebles box, so don't need two copies

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sending a PM

Awesome, thanks...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Whenever u get the SA mart thread up I'd like posters here who bought stuff to make a post there too. The admins prefer and I agree, that transactions should take place in SA mart.

Took down my older post, didn't think about that.

My thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036145

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

There’s no way any of the Elvis movies are any good right?

King Creole (directed by Michael Curtiz), Jailhouse Rock, and Viva Las Vegas seem to be the most praised films. Don Siegel directed him in Flaming Star

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Action Serious posted:

My B&N had After Hours on the shelf today but it wouldn’t ring up so I’ll have to go back. Grabbed Blue is the Warmest Color totally blind because it was marked as $24.99 before the sale price so I figured why not.

FYI, here's all the "discount" Blu-rays that have $30 MSRP ($15 sale) instead of the normal $40 MSRP ($20 sale):

Blue is the Warmest Color
The Ballad of Narayama
Gate of Hell
I Married a Witch
Identification of a Woman
Letter Never Sent
The Makioka Sisters
Ministry of Fear
The Organizer
Three Outlaw Samurai
The Uninvited
Bitter Rice
David Lynch: The Art Life
Jellyfish Eyes
Summer Interlude

All are either bare-bones (just an essay) or just have something like a trailer and quick interview.

and here's all the single-film Blu-ray releases that are $50 MSRP due to being multi-disc ($25 sale):

The New World (three cuts)
Che (2-part film)
The Leopard (two cuts)
On the Waterfront (three aspect ratios)
Pina (2D + 3D)
The Night of the Hunter (feature-length doc)
Brazil (two cuts)
War and Peace (4-part film)
Heaven's Gate
True Stories (CD soundtrack)
His Girl Friday (bonus restored feature The Front Page on second disc)
Carlos (2-part film)
Citizen Kane (two supplement discs)
Seven Samurai (supplement disc)
The Battle of Algiers (supplement disc)
Monterey Pop (two supplement discs)
Scenes from a Marriage (two cuts)
Andrei Rublev (two cuts)
The Tree of Life (two cuts)
Othello (two cuts)

They're doing more 2-disc releases for single films lately without a MSRP increase. Too bad they never do price drops as Heaven's Gate, The Night of the Hunter, Brazil, and On the Waterfront absolutely have no reason to be more expensive.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

October releases:

Don't Look Now (UHD/Blu Combo) - Oct 3
Videodrome (UHD/Blu Combo) - Oct 10
Tod Browning's Sideshow Shockers - Oct 17
[Includes Freaks, The Unknown, and The Mystic]
The Others (UHD/Blu Combo, Blu-ray) - Oct 24
Nanny (Blu-ray) - Oct 31

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the UK arm of Criterion is just temporarily on hold due to a change in distributors. Sony is their distributor in the US. Good possibility their Canadian distributor will change soon, as well, since the owner of Unobstructed View seems to have gone insane.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

So when's the Black Narcissus UHD?

It's probably next in line for a new 4K restoration as both A Canterbury Tale and I Know Where I'm Going! were recently completed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

If I haven't seen any Ozu, can I just start anywhere, or should I go chronologically? I know some films are thematically linked but not exactly sequels, and there's two versions of Floating Weeds. Is there a recommended film as an introduction?

Tokyo Story probably, but Good Morning is really fun. It's not every day you have a film from the 50s that's mostly centered on young boys farting and making GBS threads their pants to impress each other.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently the rights to The Fall are with Tarsem Singh now and he offered it to Criterion, but they're not interested.

Odd choice as it's out of print and would be a perfect UHD (even had an early 4K DI), but hopefully Arrow or Shout picks it up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

I’m only 5 films into the Varda set and it’s already won me over, so glad I picked this up.

Low key the best big box from Criterion so far.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion Channel subscribers received a $10 gift cert code on Friday, so the flash sale will likely be this Tuesday to tie in with the first wave of Janus Contemporaries and the Tod Browning Sideshow Shockers collection (Freaks, The Unknown, and The Mystic).

Here's what's going to be eligible since the July Barnes and Noble sale if one wants to catch up...

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (4K Combo)
Dim Sum: A Little Bit of Heart (Blu-ray)
Bo Widerberg's New Swedish Cinema (Blu-ray collection) [Includes: Elvira Madigan, The Baby Carriage, Raven's End, and Adelin 31]
Drylongso (Blu-ray)
The Princess Bride (4K Combo)
Walkabout (4K Combo)
The Trial (4K Combo and Blu-ray)
La Bamba (Blu-ray)
Moonage Daydream (4K Combo and Blu-ray)
Don't Look Now (4K Combo)
Videodrome (4K Combo)
Tod Browning's Sideshow Shockers (Blu-ray collection) [Includes: Freaks, The Unknown, and The Mystic]
The Innocent (Janus Blu-ray)
No Bears (Janus Blu-ray)
EO (Janus Blu-ray)

and what will be eligible for sale by the time the November B&N sale starts:

The Others (4K Combo and Blu-ray)
Nanny (Blu-ray)
Jackie Chan: Emergence of a Superstar (Blu-ray)
The Last Picture Show (4K Combo) - also includes Texasville
Mean Streets (4K Combo and Blu-ray)
Tori and Lokita (Janus)
The Eight Mountains (Janus)
Godland (Janus)
La ceremonie (Blu-ray)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Drewsky posted:

I just recently subbed, do they send a code to your account email or what?

It's emailed, but I think it's primarily charter customers who did the initial signup.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

January 2024 titles:
The Apu Trilogy (4K Combo Collection) - Jan 2
Blood Simple (4K Combo) - Jan 9
Lone Star (4K Combo and Blu-ray) - Jan 16
Chantal Akerman Masterpieces 1968-1878 (Blu-ray Collection) - Jan 23
Mudbound (Blu-ray and DVD) - Jan 30
Trainspotting (4K Combo and Blu-ray) - Jan 30

The Akerman collection features the four features and one short from the new deleted (!) Eclipse DVD set, Chantal Akerman in the Seventies, plus an additional three short films and Jeanne Dielman. Blood Simple, Lone Star, and Trainspotting are in Dolby Vision on the UHDs while The Apu Trilogy will be SDR. Trainspotting is another laserdisc return.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cool stuff I've noticed...

Lone Wolf and Cub has a secret compartment containing a surprise.

The Celebration has clear plastic with spot color instead of paper for the case slick so that you can see the discs inside.

Time Bandits has a lenticular slipcover on the UHD edition (as well as the first run of the Blu-ray)

The Koker Trilogy is packaged so that each digipak is nestled within another.

True Stories, Ace in the Hole, and His Girl Friday have booklets in the form of folded newspaper prints.

Dr. Strangelove has a faux LIFE Magazine for the essay and a replica mini-bible for the production notes, contained with an envelope marked "PLAN R" [(Only reason why I didn't sell it off when I got the Sony UHD)

Repo Man looks neat under a blacklight.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Bringing Up Baby and Holiday? I’ve been in a mood for golden age Hollywood comedies and I really loved The Awful Truth when I watched it a few months ago.

Bringing Up Baby is obviously a solid screwball comedy classic, but I found Holiday to be a wonderful underrated blind-buy years ago.

Calling it a "dramedy" isn't as accurate, but I think it has more a breezy sort of feel that's more about characters. Of course, where on earth can you go wrong with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant being directed by George Cukor?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

checkplease posted:

Oh I’ll have to check out Josie with that rec. Anyone have favs of the mgm musicals? I’ve never seen any.

The Band Wagon owns since it's one of the few 50s MGM musicals with Fred Astaire and comes off as more modern.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

The Velvet Underground doc is an Apple thing

While it was coproduced, it was surprisingly licensed from Polygram Records instead of Apple. Given that Criterion has already dealt with Netflix and Amazon on a bunch of titles, I can see them working with Apple. Though, really just The Tragedy of Macbeth seems likely, depending on whether Paramount is handling Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon themselves.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Women in Love is a blast. I first saw it when I had accidentally been watching a bunch of Alan Bates films. Seems to be one of those actors that's great in everything he ever did. Oliver Reed could occasionally make some stinkers, too, but also never the reason why a movie sucks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

First western on the criterion channel suggested to me I will watch. It better be good!!

Stagecoach

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I can’t really be interested in any Picnic at Hanging Rock release if they still haven’t found and restored the ending.

The limited edition 4K from Second Sight had both versions, but Criterion will usually stick to director's cuts.

Really excited that I Am Cuba is coming from Criterion and in 4K. Milestone recently began using Kino Lorber as distributor, so I was expecting they'd handle this. Of course, from looking around, seems like the extras are quite light considering the deluxe DVD edition had a feature-length doc on the director and a bunch of other things. Seems like Criterion is really cutting back on extras lately as The Roaring Twenties doesn't even have the "Night at the Movies" preshow the Warner DVD had (and most Warner Archive Blu-rays include a few cartoons in HD).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

checkplease posted:

Hopefully that’s not a trend. Extras are often a deciding factor for me when choosing movies to purchase.

Seems like Arrow and Indicator still put in a lot of effort into new video pieces, plus adding archival materials. Kino includes commentaries on almost everything these days - for that matter, the extras on their upcoming 4K of Fear and Desire actually make it a must-have despite it being a pretty mediocre film (two cuts, each with a commentary, all three of Kubrick's short films newly restored and presented in 4K, plus a trailer gallery).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cacator posted:

Not buying it until they bring back the commentary by Kenneth Loring, artisitic director for Forever Young Films.

I rented the old MGM Blu-ray that had the commentary and got about 20 minutes in before getting bored. It's funny at first, but it's a bit much.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

gently caress yeah, Peeping Tom in 4K Dolby Vision.

Also up for the Ozu double feature.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Love Criterion Channel but their bitrate and compression is kind of poo poo and this live channel is way worse than usual. Just murdering the grain, macro blocking everywhere.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In addition to the DVD and Blu-ray of Day for Night going out of print, looks like these Eclipse sets are now OOP as well:

Alexander Korda's Private Lives
Chantal Akerman in the Seventies (probably redundant now the 3-disc Blu-ray set of her work carries over all these films)
Jean Grémillon During the Occupation

Also looks like we're getting a 4K of Le samourai soon as the page has been updated with new screenshots and The Complete Mr. Arkadin might also be upgraded soon as the DVD is back in print minus the novel.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Brexit the Frog posted:

hasn't Welles denied having any involvement with the novel? i forget where, but i wanna say the 'My Lunches with Orson' book

It's common knowledge it was ghostwritten. To be fair, I started reading it and zoned out after ten or so pages. The "comprehensive" version that takes the best of the Confidential Report/Mr. Arkadin cut, an alternate edit owned by Corinth Films on 16mm, and the Spanish language version is the most entertaining of the cuts. It's still a far cry from the brilliance of a lot of Welles' other films, but I really enjoy his scrappy low budget period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Great to see The Last Emperor get an upgrade. The Arrow edition seems to have nice extras, but Criterion's original 4-disc DVD set was way more comprehensive. I'm going to guess the television cut will be the remastered 2.35:1 version used for Arrow's release since it was exclusive to Criterion's 4-disc DVD released way back in 2007. Kind of surprised they opted not to do a refresh of the Blu-ray since besides the 2.00:1 aspect ratio, all the extras are crammed onto the same disc. Even for the 4K UHD, they really should have made it a 4-disc release with the theatrical cut on 4K and Blu, one Blu just for the TV cut, and a third Blu for extras. Not sure why they're penny pinching on Best Picture winners.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there any chance of a Yojimbo/Sanjuro 4K upgrade in the near future? My Sanjuro disc’s been dead for years now but I’m hesitant to replace it because those feel like inevitable upgrades.

I think we'll get Seven Samurai first, then a Yojimbo/Sanjuro double next. The white whale seems to be a comprehensive Kurosawa box set, despite licensing being realistic. I wonder if the holdup has become Dersu Uzala because it's a Mosfilm property.