Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Better get me some Faster Pussycat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

He is the unsung hero of American cinema. It would be a lot different if not for him.

Can I hear more about this?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I saw Stalker last night and it may be the best movie I've ever seen.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How is Tampopo? Worth a blind buy?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I'm a big pussy who was really enjoying Tampopo until the turtle showed up. That kind of killed my mood.

Also makes it harder to recommend to other people.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 16, 2017

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Egg sex is a much easier sell.

Anyway, I'll definitely try it again sometime, despite that. It's part of cooking, after all.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Can't buy them yet but I'll be picking up Certified Copy
Days of Heaven
Kwaidan

With Kwaidan being a blind buy but all signs pointing to me enjoying it.

E: went with The Great Beauty instead of Days.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 18, 2017

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

House is one of my favorite movies ever, but I honestly wouldn’t go into it expecting spooks. You’ll be disappointed. The pitch I would give it is that it’s like an episode of Scooby Doo if it were made by a Japanese man who had only heard the premise described to him on a very loud train.

Videodrome is creepy though.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Does anybody have a doc to recommend from the Olympics set?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I showed it to my friends at a Christmas party last year. It went over very well. It’s the perfect Christmas movie.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What can one expect from a Von Sternberg film?

E: also, is Dragon Inn related to A Touch of Zen?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is the B&N sale supposed to be happening this month? I’ve got a 20% off coupon I’m hoping to stack.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

La Jetee is definitely the better movie of that set, despite being a fraction of the length.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

drat, dude. With $20 in Filmstruck coin, be this the moment I finally get the Jacques Tati set?

e: it be. Grand total $42

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 17, 2018

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This loving BLOWS

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I can’t find what happened to the Filmstruck thread, but can I suggest during this final month that we post recs of stuff to watch on FS that may have slipped under the radar? I’m planning on dropping my spooky Halloween watch right now just so I can watch as many of these movies as I can.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cloks posted:

I'm coming at it from the opposite direction, I've had Filmstruck for almost a year and barely touched it.

What're the must watch pieces of original content?

I always liked adventures in moviegoing, esp with artists whose work I admire. Also they have the commentary for the original King Kong which was the first ever commentary and it’s pretty interesting.

What are the best Ozu, Naruse and Oshima? I feel like some Japanese dramas.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 29, 2018

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Do you fella's think that A Brighter Summer Day is worth a blind buy?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ll just watch the drat thing on filmstruck then.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ill watch Yi Yi tonight. I just saw Paul Dano talk about it and Edward Yang just seems up my alley.

e: what the gently caress Yi Yi is hella long too!

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 9, 2018

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I want everyone here to know that I picked up Hiroshima, Mon Amour yesterday because that movie owns.

RIP Filmstruck.

Thanks for reading.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I thought French New Wave was the coolest thing when I was a teenager and it kind of fell out of favor with me about halfway through college. French New Wave really is case by case at this point, but I really liked Hiroshima.

E: Breathless, and the 400 Blows (and 8 1/2) were the movies that probably got me into art house cinema in the first place and if those don’t work for you, I would say it’s safe to feel like the genre isn’t for you.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 29, 2018

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve bought Barry Lyndon for so many people. Maybe it’s time I got a copy for myself.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Watch City Lights next.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Any real bangers in the Alec Guinness collection?

E: The Horse’s Mouth looks interesting. I never knew Guinness wrote.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 10, 2019

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Any good horror on the streaming service? I’d search there, but we all know their engine is kinda dogshit and I’d like to chase this Midsommar kick.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Holy moly. Here I am, enjoying Swing Time and all of a sudden...we’ll, all I’ll say is don’t watch this one with mixed company lol.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Oh, man.

Gripweed posted:

I know what I'm getting on day one of the November sale

Also, I watched the short and feature of For All Mankind yesterday and I can’t believe I had slept on it for so long, even as somebody who’s into the Apollo missions. There’s just so much material about it out there that I never figured this one would have amounted to anything new. Had I known that this was the one Brian Eno made his Apollo soundtrack for, I would have watched it ages ago. But having his music elevated by the already incredible footage and soundbites from the previous astronauts recounting the experience firsthand really made this something unexpectedly moving.

The short the criterion channel posted in front of it, Solar Walk, is really nice too. It’s a curious and imaginative cartoon with a style in a combination of Michael DeForge, Jesse Moynihan, and Saloon films.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 21, 2019

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Pickin’ up Polyester.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Having already seen and loved Wong Kar Wai’s In the Mood for Love and Chunking Express, what would be a good next step film to enjoy?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

That 70’s sci fi collection sure is nifty. It’s also pretty big. I’ve already seen the biggest ones (THX, Clockwork, Death Race 2000, and Mad Max). What would you say are the best of the rest?

No Blade of Grass
The Omega Man
ZPG
Westworld
Soylent Green
The Terminal Man
Rollerball
A Boy and His Dog
Shivers
The Ultimate Warrior
Logan’s Run
God Told Me To
Demon Seed

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It just left but thanks to whoever recommended Just Another Girl on the IRT, that was a real treat.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Watched The Housemaid tonight. Definitely not what I was expecting but great nonetheless. Expected a straight romance plot like In the Mood for Love but got a mix between Parasite and Baby Jane. Super recommend.

Speaking of Martin Scorsese’s World Cinema Project, Redes is great too. Good class conscious movies.

With that said, anyone recommend some actually steamy romance movies on the channel?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

*claps hands together*

Godzilla time.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It’s around this time in the sale where I really mull over picking up Dekalog for the 100th time.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Who owns the rights to Peeping Tom? Where is my HD Peeping Tom?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Have any Tarkovsky fans read Roadside Picnic? I know the earlier version of Stalker is a little more faithful but is it a good read on its own?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Oh yeah, any and all recommendations will be great during quarantine. I’m hoping I can roll through the Tarkovsky moves I’ve yet to see.

I would like to rev The Invention of Destruction. A Czech fantasy movie that is an amalgam of Jules Verne tropes made to look like a married to the sea comic come to life. There’s great stop motion and model work that brings me back to old Lumiere Bro’s films.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Haha that feature’s news to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

I haven't seen it, but The Koker Trilogy was fantastic. And Life Goes On is one of the best films I saw last year (Where is the Friend's House? and Through the Olive Trees are great too). I'm wanting to see every single Kiarostami film now.

Don’t skip Certified Copy.