Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I am absolutely thrilled about Paths of Glory. It never fails to move me. Any info on the the Bergman or House? I've never heard The Magician before. I saw the trailer for House they had up a while ago and it looked pretty interesting. Has any one seen it and can comment on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FitFortDanga posted:

House is brilliant insanity. There's a thread on it here.

As for The Magician, a lot of people think it's one of Bergman's best, I'd put it on the second tier. Here's my two earlier reviews:

Thanks a bunch FitFortDanga. Now I defiantly want to check these out. Too bad I have to wait until October. Criterion really is the ultimate tease.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
According to the website there is going to be a Barns&Noble sale. 50% all Criterions, dvd and bluray. Well, there goes all my money. At least it is going to a good cause.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Defiantly watch High & Low, even if the second half has a slower pace and less claustrophobic feel compared to the first, it is all redeemed with the final scene. All in all it is a great movie and everyone should watch it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

I wonder what it must of felt like just to wander through that room with all those great films knowing that something you made will soon be grouped with them? I envy him.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Just saw The Night of the Hunter at the AFI Silver Screen. Even though it was my third or fourth time seeing the movie, it still left me speechless. Harry Powell is in my opinion one of, if not the, greatest movie villain. Robert Mitchum's performance is simply sublime. I can't wait to get my hands on the dvd. Everyone should see this film.

"I see you lookin' at my fingers, boy..."

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FitFortDanga posted:

I feel like this is something really obvious, but I'm drawing a blank.

It's actually quite complicated. Morestuff was right when he said it was a pun on who. It references the band The Who, in specific, Roger Daltrey. Now since the owl is wearing headphones we can only conclude that it is a movie about music. That can only mean Ken Russell's masterpiece Lisztomania in which Daltrey played composer Franz Liszt. "What?" is also connected because that's exactly what I said while watching the movie. I don't remember any owls though...

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I went to B&N and their copy of Night of the Hunter was just the regular plastic case, not the box set. Weird.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is the "guy" in front supposed to be Einstein?

Also, I really am hoping for Diabolique. I've been holding out on buying it for a long time because I figured one of these days it would get a better release with lots of extras.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
According to the Criterion main website there is a Peter Weir retrospective in New York at the Walter Reade Theater. They are probably just hyping that, but I still have my fingers crossed.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
What are the chances of Criterion putting some of Kubrick's early shorts in as bonus material, or even Fear and Desire for that matter? I don't expect them to be anything to piss myself over but it seems like a Criterion thing to do (thinking of the ones on the Breathless and Last Metro bonus discs), especially for a director of Kubrick's stature.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They're awesome, and I say this as someone who doesn't like samurai films.

Agreed. Whenever someone says that they don't like subtitled/black and white movies I talk them into watching Yojimbo to convince them that not all old or foreign movies suck. Works like a charm.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
On the flip side I showed Hard Boiled to one friend who loves stupid action movies thinking it's brilliant rapid editing and bullet ballets it would be right up his alley, but after watching it he said he didn't like it because it "just wasn't realistic". People who like lovely movies can be really picky sometimes.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've only seen Blue and The Double Life of Veronique and enjoyed both. How are his other things? I've been meaning to check out the Decalogue, but have never gotten around to it. I know Kubrick really liked it, so I guess it can't be that bad.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

TheYellowFog posted:

Why not just watch it, its probably available at at least one library in whatever city you live in. Kubrick didnt just like it, he called it the only masterpiece he's ever seen (might just be a rumour). A few of them are slower than others but they are all great for different reasons. Number 1 and 5 are the most depressing one's for me.

e: hey part 1 is on youtube with subtitles so now there's no excuse :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LXpRn6etGw

My God, that was amazing. The scene at the end where the father knocked over the alter and the dripping wax fell onto the picture of Mary, making it look as if she was crying left me speechless. It's amazing how much Kieslowski was able to say with just with images alone, and all in under 50 minutes. I can't wait to see the rest of them.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Who's got the rights for A Better Tomorrow? I would love to see a decent release of it, along with A Better Tomorrow 2 for that matter even though Woo disowned everything but the final gunfight. They could do a double package like they did with Yojimbo/Sanjuro or the two Ozu films.

Come to think of it, Bullet in the Head could to with a decent release as well. You'd think with a name as recognizable as Woo's, his pre-Hollywood stuff wouldn't be that big of a risk to put out on a DVD.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
This thread has gone off on an amusing tangent.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at Euclid.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FitFortDanga posted:

Mailer/Mahler

I hope they are getting Ken Russell's Mahler. I don't believe it has an American release yet. It somehow manages to be really touching at one moment and completely nuts at another and not suffer at all because of it. Easily one of my favorite biographical movies. I think the trailer sums it up pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GC6KnOoPJA

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Archyduke posted:

'Burden of Dreams' does? Really? I don't see it mentioned on the website but that would be incredible, presuming it's Herzog's memoir of the filming.

They published the journal he kept during the filming of Fitzcarraldo. I bought it a while ago, but never got around to reading it. I skimmed through the first few couple of pages, and it was Herzog describing the absolute poverty of the South American cities he was staying at and trying to explain to the executives at Fox that he wants to haul a real boat over a mountain and not just a model. I really should pick it up again, as it was really fascinating and seemed like a good read. Then again, what book filled with Herzog's crazy-poetic ramblings wouldn't be a good read?

You can find it on Amazon for about $10

http://www.amazon.com/Conquest-Useless-Reflections-Making-Fitzcarraldo/dp/0061575542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311911260&sr=8-1

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
So the other day I was in line at Borders looking for some good deals with their going out of business sale. As I was in the checkout line I spotted Aki Kaurismäki’s Proletariat Trilogy in the bargain bin for 25% off. I figured what the hell and got it on an impulse buy. I've never seen any Kaurismäki before (I think my only experice with him was when he was interviewed on that Ozu documentary that came with Tokyo Story) so I really have no idea what to expect. Is there one I should watch first, or should I just start with the first one in the box? Also, how representative are these of his other work?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

barkingclam posted:

I'm looking forward to 12 Angry Men, it's one of my favorites. I had no idea there was a television version, so it'll be neat to how the two compare.

There was a more modern TV version made in 1997 that was directed by William Friedkin of all people.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Bulworth.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SneakySneaks posted:

It's a problem with a lot of Kubrick essays, The Shining and FMJ get this a lot too (some don't even loving mention that FMJ is a huge homage to Peckinpah).

Can you point me to some of those essays that do? I love Peckinpah and I love Kubrick, so naturally I'm interested in one's influence on the other. I never made that connection before but I can sort of see it now. Example being how, as critics have stated, Peckinpah used slow motion as a tool to examine in detail death and violence; showing them in all their horror and Kubrick's similar use of it in FMJ.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SneakySneaks posted:

It's been years since I last read the things. I know one of the guys is on The Shining DVD Commentary (John Baxter) and he states his opinions in the special features as well. The best analysis of FMJ is actually the current blu-ray commentary (by Jay Cocks). Personally I think the best Kubrick essays are from other filmmakers. For Peckinpah read some of Elvis Mitchell and Roger Ebert movie reviews and commentary pieces. The blu-ray (dvd) commentary on The Wild Bunch is awesome if you like Peckinpah (look for Paul Seydor and Garner Simmons stuff too), also if you can find the dvd somewhere the Criterion Straw Dogs dvd has a great documentary on his life and a great commentary that takes an in depth look about Peckinpah's view of sexuality and masculinity.

Thanks! I'll check em out. I fortunate enough to have the Criterion Straw Dogs and I just want to go on the record and say that Stephen Prince's commentary is the gold standard of all commentaries. It is a true piece of scholarship and because of it I'm convinced Straw Dogs is one of the greatest American movies ever made. I've been meaning to start a thread about it for a while, especially since the remake is coming out soon, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Robert Denby posted:

Plus getting the rights to put Starbucks in their stores while Borders was stuck with Seattle's Best Coffee.

Funny thing is Starbucks owns Seattle's Best.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

azechiel posted:

I have the Criterion Straw Dogs too, and now I need to find time to watch this!

Hey there OOP buddy! I hope you enjoy it. If you have time check out the documentary on the second disc if you haven't already.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Don't forget Tokyo Drifter.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I love Fighting Elegy, Story of a Prostitute, and Youth of the Beast but for some reason Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter didn't really do it for me. Guess it's time to give them another try now I know what kind of crazy to expect. After all, the cover of Tokyo Drifter isn't something you can really say no to.

Also, I have never seen any Lubitsch before so I'm curious to see what he's like.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Guessing time again. File name is wackky drunk dog.

This one's leaving me with a blank.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I read that too. I think it's most likely correct since the file name did have two Ks in it (K for Kurosawa) and not a typo as far as I know.

Anyone know when they are announcing the new titles?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
How to Get Ahead in Advertising is pretty creepy when you think about it. Sisters might be a good one as well.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
So I finally got around to watching the theatrical version of Fanny & Alexander, and was wondering how it compares to the television version. I'm on the fence about getting the bluray set when it comes out Tuesday, because even though I enjoyed it a lot, I don't have a great urge to watch it again any time soon. How much more does the TV version add, and is it enough to justify getting box set? Also, how are the documentary and bonus features; the Peter Cowie commentary specifically?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Four out of four goons agree. Thanks guys, I'll defiantly be picking Fanny and Alexander up now!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is Tiny Furniture really as bad as the trailer makes it out to be? Because from what I can tell it looks awful. Please Criterion, I know the hipsters give you a lot of business but that doesn't mean you have to let their awful movies in.

I remember I bought Anatomy of a Murder for five bucks or so a while ago but never got around to watching it. Guess this is reason enough to check it out.

Apart from that, I'll wait till World on a Wire and Outlaw Samurai are on Netflix. Even though they look interesting, they seem like risky blind buy purchases.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Defiantly interested in checking out A Night to Remember. I haven't seen it in over 10 years, but I remember liking it. It will be nice to see it again since all I remember about it is that the ship sinks.

I absolutely love The Cranes are Flying, so I am defiantly going to check out Letter Never Sent, but it basically being a $30 Essential Art House release is the only thing keeping me from making it a blind buy.

I'm interested in the Lean/Coward movies, but particularly Brief Encounter. Is there any indication that they are going to be released individually, or is it that if you want one you have to get them all?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Wilhelm Scream posted:

A Letter Never Sent is on Hulu Plus for anyone who has that, might be available for regular users too, for those who want to check it out before buying.

It's on Hulu for subscribing users only, but the whole thing is up for free on youtube. Apparently Mosfilm has a whole channel with loads of movies and it seems that most of them have englush subtitles via the caption translator. This may be old news, but I never knew about it until now and am just imagining the hours I am going to lose watching random Soviet films. Most of the titles listed are only in Russian, but I guess that is what google translate is for.

Mosfilm - http://www.youtube.com/user/mosfilm

Letter Never Sent - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U-_rgB30gs

Here are links to some of the other ones there that y'all might like.

Andrei Rublev - http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3D1PAhbcy8mP4
Stalker - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEfJhkPK7o
Solaris - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG9Anstjlro&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fmosfilm%3Ffeature%3Dwatch
Ivan's Childhood - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-cOMy9k-6s
Kin-Dza-Dza! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I47CNxwlt9U
Dersu Uzala - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1MmSjMofOY

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

There was that drunk dog one. What did that end up being, anyway?

I think the consensus was Drunken Angel/Stray Dog and the file name had two Ks in its title for double Kurosawa.

As for Spalding Grey, let's not overlook the possibility of them releasing the long due How High on bluray

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Pfirti86 posted:

Holy poo poo, wine + depression + Ikiru do not mix well.

Great movie though. Might be my favorite Kurosawa, besides maybe Ran.

Just build a playground and you'll be fine.

I agree with you though, a great film. I wrote my thesis on it in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Safe Driver posted:

Out of print. It wasn't meant to be. :(

SHUUUUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPP!