Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mod sassinator posted:

I liked Tiny Furniture a lot. :colbert: However, I am a big fan of mumblecore and even caught Funny Ha Ha in its original theatrical run.

Does it count as mumble core? I've heard she gets pissed when people call her work that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Robert Denby posted:

Just saw this today and can confirm there was a Janus logo in front of it, also a gorgeous 4K transfer. There was a little text prologue explaining that there was digital clean-up involved with removing some of the more obvious tape splices.

Where did you see it? I've been looking everywhere the last few years to see it again. Haven't seen it since it was on cinemax all the time in the early 90s.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One of these days the announcement well be Until the End of the World and I will buy my first non-sale criterion.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was looking at the upcoming releases and saw a bunch of Wim Wenders stuff but not Until the End of the World, which, last I heard, would be getting a Criterion release. Did something happen to stop that?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Went for Lone Wolf and Cub, Del Toro Triology, Dreams, Chimes at Midnight and Repo Man.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sorry if this has been discussed recently but have they teased a Until the End of the World release recently? When I google it all I can find is Wenders saying it will be released at some point from 2-3 years ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Went with;

Night of the Living Dead
Le Samourai
Jabberwocky
The Lure

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Quick question for the flash sale, if I was looking for more of the noir/yakuza films that came out of the Tokyo New Wave like Tokyo Drifter would I want eclipse series 17 or 28?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was just about to subscribe so I could watch Jigoku for Halloween.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So that’s where I recognized Gritty from.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If they do ever get around to releasing it, I really hope they include a CD version of the soundtrack purely as a 90's relic/feelie.

I’ve tried to put together as much of the soundtrack as I could, the Nick Cave is fantastic.

https://youtu.be/qzp8I-naJOg

The only direction he gave the artists was make the music you see yourself making in 10 years. A bunch of them really went all out on it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Apparently I added the Before Trilogy right before they marked it as backordered, nice of them to honor the price despite the terms of the sale. Actually works in my favor too since it breaks up the cost between another paycheck.

Ended up going with;

The Stillman Collection
Kicking and Screaming
The Before Trilogy
and Fantastic Planet

Should be a fun nostalgia fest.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Am I misremembering or was Scorsese’s After Hours teased for an upcoming release?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thom and the Heads posted:

According to Reddit, The Virgin Suicides is back up on the channel.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/the-virgin-suicides

Wake me when they add The Chad Manslaughters.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Manned the Qatsi trilogy, Godzilla and Police Story. Almost grabbed Lady Snowblood too but I realized they only had the dvd version.

Vvvv Mine are stored alphabetically based on the name of the key grip or best boy, depending on whether I found the movie funny or not.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 7, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I didn’t know the criterion channel had movies that weren’t criterion’s? Toddler on the Roof isn’t a criterion right? Not that I’m complaining one of my favorite movies of all time

Yeah for a while they were showing Last Hurrah for Chivalry which I don’t think ever got a criterion release.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Never thought I’d see Jet Jaguar in a criterion release.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thought I’d take a last look before the end of the sale and found they did a decent sized restock. Picked up Lady Snowblood, Touch of Zen and Branded to Kill.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I, Butthole posted:

Blue is the Warmest Colour also got a debut home video release from Criterion before any others.

Them having Cold War gives me hope they've also jumped on the slightly better film in the top two 2018 films, Shoplifters. I've been waffling on getting the UK release with the BFI Kore-eda boxset, but maybe I should hold out.

Reminds that I need to clear an evening to watch the Tree of Life again. Just started seeing trailers for a Hidden Life and I hope he has a similar deal with Criterion for that one too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Do youself a favor and watch the Criterion Cut. As I mentioned in some other thread it is the definitive version of that film.

That's the one I have, I preordered it as soon as I read about Criterion approaching Malick about financing the alternate cut so that it could be his unfiltered vision. I can honestly say I've never been more affected by a film, just how much of my past self in Jack and how much of my current self I saw in Jack's father.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
God drat, been waiting years for Until the End of the World.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This and the looming November sale are all that’s prevented me from buying anything. I had Shallow Grave, Haxan, and Medium Cool in my cart but I still have like 15 things I haven’t watched from the last two sales, including the entire Tati set. Don’t Look Now had been gathering dust for two years until I finally watched it the other day.

It’s going to be an expensive November for me, my B&N just got a copy of the Zatoichi box set so there’s going to be that and Godzilla.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was actually looking for a few Wong Kar-wai films last sale but a few of them were unavailable. I hope the box set is out for the July sale at least.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ham_sanitizer posted:

yeah i recently watched the original and was shocked at how good it was.

i had only ever heard people make fun of the special effects but honestly i felt they held up pretty well considering the age.

haven’t watched the rest of the series but i will eventually.

When people talk about how bad the special effects they're generally talking about the later series, when they were just making GBS threads them out with little care or choreography.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I assume Disney's gonna put any non-kid-friendly titles on Hulu. Their movie collection could use a little shoring up anyway.

Possibly, Disney made Hulu the official streaming service for FX/X. And speaking of Hulu, if you hadn't seen it they just adding Barking Dogs Never Bite, The Host, Mother and Paradite.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Egbert Souse posted:

You could pretend Game of Death is listed for the reconstruction of Lee's unfinished film and the two dogshit theatrically-released films are "supplements"

FYI, looks like Criterion's 30% off discount is active for this if anyone wants to preorder for $88. Not a bad price for effectively four films plus a gigantic amount of supplements.

(Worth also pointing out that Criterion doesn't seem to charge for preorders until they ship, so I'd definitely pre-order to take advantage of their site discount)

But's also not out until July which would be when Barnes and Noble is probably doing their 50% off sale.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If my local one is anything to go by, there's mad money in letting people that look like they're one bad day away from screaming conspiracy theories on the street sit in your store and drink coffee all day.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How many of Wong Kar Wai's movies are on the channel? I've been listening to James Clavell's Asian Saga lately and his love of Hong Kong is starting to rub off on me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ingmar terdman posted:

In my quest to watch every Kurosawa I had to buy a vhs copy of Rhapsody in August (and find the cables for my vcr). Wonder why it's not in the cc catalog

It tends to be one of his more controversial movies due to Kurosawa's efforts to minimize Japan's role in WWII.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are you sure it was an art film? I remember hearing that as well but it was from a Corman movie around the time the two of them worked together. Like how Galaxy of Terror was the source of the scenery for the future hellscape.

Edit: My mind is sticking on Saturn 3, a movie with Farah Fawcett, Kirk Douglas and Harvey Keitel vs. a killer robot.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 26, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Finally caught King Rat, I never really made it a priority because I knew Clavell never rated it very high as an adaptation. Overall it was pretty faithful They, unsurprisingly for a 1965 movie, cut the trans character but kept the homoerotic tones in the story. And they cut how poorly the POWs were treated by the Allied forces, again unsurprisingly.

I dont think I've seen George Segal act finer and there were some amazing scenes that sold the bleakness and isolation of the camp.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Criterion put up the money for a directors cut of Tree of Life when it was theaters and it still didn't get released for 7 years.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Isn't there normally a February sale at B&N? Are they not having it this year?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

VoodooXT posted:

No, that's Criterion's Flash Sale in February and October, usually the last Tuesday of the month. B&N is the months of July and November.

Gotcha thanks, I remembered buying discounted titles in February, just not who from.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does Bernie shoot first now?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The first few times I saw the UHD format acornym I legit started thinking there was some hipster community that insisted PSP's had the crispness image quality.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've noticed that a few of the Japanese releases have that title band like Drive My Car. Is there a significance to it? It's really similar to the Nikkatsu Noir boxset.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Local BnN was out of the World of WKW so I'll have to order online. Are there other hats pieces of HK cinema in the collection besides that and Police Story?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Edit: oops was thinking of The Curse of La Llorona.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Franchescanado posted:

They’re fine. They’re just a little aesthetically different. None of them are “compromised”, but the original palette for In The Mood For Love is better. Not a deal breaker at all.

I knew this existed and couldn't remember where it was so sorry it's a bit late to the discussion.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/7325-world-of-wong-kar-wai-director-s-note

WKW going into detail about why he made the changes and what he was trying to evoke. Here's the relevant part;

After the premiere of Ashes of Time Redux in 2008, some audience members observed that the film looked different from what they remembered. I realized that some of our audience had discovered it on pirated copies and in suboptimal exhibition venues that presented the film in a different light. Still, some preferred the versions that they had watched, because memories are hard to beat.

As the saying goes: “No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.”

Since the beginning of this process, these words have reminded me to treat these restorations as an opportunity to present new works, from a different vantage point in my career.

Having arrived at the end of this process, these words still hold true.

I invite the audience to join me in starting afresh, as these are not the same films, and we are no longer the same audience.