Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

November:
The Philadelphia Story
Oh loving finally.

BTW, the new Criterion of Rebecca strikes me as...worse than the MGM? It just seems too dark to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I never got to experience Filmstruck because they dragged their feet on apps for Sony or Xbox after chopping off their own feet, mimicking future Criterion release Saw (2004).
I googled to see if this had actually happened. What is wrong with me

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Iirc they had to do like 30 takes of Marilyn going "it's me, Sugar!" for her to get it right

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I watched Bergman's All These Women and it was loving awful, who else has been subjected to this movie?
I'm convinced that everyone who claims to love Bergman beyond Seventh Seal is a big fat liar.

I really want to watch Mishima, I was thinking of watching it with my parents but they are hardcore prudes. Is that going to work? (without spoilers please) (yes I know about the incident)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 6, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

As hardcore prudes, the coup scenes are probably the thing your parents would object the least, as there's nudity, sex scenes, and plenty of latent homosexual desire in the entire film.
Thanks for the heads up about this lol, guess I'm watching it with my partner.

Gripweed posted:

Smiles of a Summer's Night is good.
Honestly I was bored out of my skull by this and turned it off, and I'm the guy who watched kwaidan in one sitting.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

quote:

Seitz recalled asking Wilder what he required for the pet chimpanzee's funeral scene. Wilder replied, "you know, just your standard monkey funeral shot."

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

On that note, is Color of Pomegranates worth the watch?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Arcella posted:

Onibaba any good? seems like a good halloween wath
it's awesome but extremely slow especially in the first half.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Burning, although it fits into the same category as Happy Together in that its a great movie but 90% of watching it is excruciating.

The Handmaiden is a better version of Parasite. Just don't watch it with your parents or anything.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone revealed a bunch of titles coming from Criterion before deleting their account. Turns out two of the titles were among the March releases ("4K Scorsese" and Le cercle rouge in 4K), so I think it's safe to expect these as likely...

Pulp Fiction - 4K/Blu
Antoine Doniel films - 4K/Blu upgrade (French and UK sets already announced)
Contempt
Homicide - Blu upgrade
As Good as It Gets
"Controversial French director without a film in the collection" is likely Irreversible, which just got a deluxe set from Indicator UK
"3 more Netflix movies from North American directors, one controversial not because of content" likely The Meyerowitz Stories, Mank, and possibly 6 Underground for the controversial choice
Howard Hawks film - likely Twentieth Century,
Paul Schrader film - likely Light Sleeper
David Gordon Green film - likely All the Real Girls
"French box set 4K upgrade from current Blu" is obviously Three Colors, which is getting a UK/French set
"French box set Blu upgrade from current DVD" is obviously Cocteau's Orphic Trilogy, which recently got new restorations

Also, while the Saul Zaentz Company already confirmed it as in the works, apparently a podcast revealed that Criterion is the label releasing a UHD of Amadeus.
Lol gently caress yes I love Twentieth Century

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

It wasn’t so much about understanding for me so much as…..finding interesting
The quality really varies. The first one and the last one do it for me. The nuclear apocalypse one was pretty lame.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Brexit the Frog posted:

just got this email:

:laffo:

get it together criterion QA
don't hold your breath lmao. criterion seems to be allergic to not bungling releases these days.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hell yea Le Corbeau

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Not sale related (unless this makes you buy it and you should) but I've been trucking through the Zatoichi movies again and I'm continually amazed that they were making GBS threads these out at the rate they were and they're all great? I don't think there's a true miss in the entire set. I mean, obviously they're formulaic but if the formula is one you like they're pretty much top of the class.
Some of them are pretty meh but I've never had a bad time watching one. It's a great thing to just chill and watch, unlike basically every other classic Japanese movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just wanna say this is my favorite thread title on the forums