Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hewlett posted:

every movie with the word 'last' in the title

The Last Days of Disco would like a word with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

leokitty posted:

Going OOP:

Picked up Army of Shadows, Le cercle rouge and Last Year at Marienbad.
I think I'd almost bought Army of Shadows before and I'd be remiss to let the others slip through my fingers.

These are all Studio Canal titles, right? How many does Criterion still have?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I saw The Third Man on DVD at a used book store. It was 40 bucks - did I make a mistake in not picking it up? I figured that I'd rather own the blu-ray and I can get it from my library (Criterion edition and all!) without too much hassle. On the other hand, I don't know if it's something I'll see in the wild again for quite a while.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SubG posted:

Imagine a patriotic American war film featuring Richard Nixon as a heroic role model being released right around Watergate.

Speaking of which, I watched Secret Honor last night and I'd recommend it. I wish I knew more about the period as I feel I would've gotten more out of the film with a better knowledge of the Watergate conspirators and some of the conspiracies that Nixon discusses but it stands as a great character piece. The film is entirely monologue and manages to be a compelling performance due entirely to Phillip Baker Hall's performance as Nick Dixon uh, uh Richard Nixon.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

RustedChrome posted:

Sorry, that's a store coupon. Online it says to use this code at checkout 2C5W8LWMW5YTC
(it still may be members only or maybe it's dynamicly generated and can only be used once. Sorry if it's no use to non-members)

This code still requires you to have a membership but it doesn't appear to be unique.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Seems like one half off sale is as good as the other - especially with Prime shipping added. I ordered Colonel Blimp, being hoping to watch more of the Archer's films.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

There's some really great stuff in there. The BBS box is especially good if you like Jack Nicholson but make sure you have some illicit substances to partake in when you watch Head.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Disclaimer: Everything written here is an assumption.

Criterion isn't usually the business selling their discs at half off, Barnes and Noble, Amazon and Best Buy are the stores doing that. Given that the stores have to purchase stock from Criterion, I'd imagine that Criterion is actually doing quite well off of these sales. The vendor purchases a ton of discs to sell from Criterion at normal prices and then marks them down enough so they're not losing money and selling them at a much higher volume. Because that's more discs sold, I can't imagine that they're doing poorly with their current business model.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rick Deckard posted:

So when will fishing with john make it to bluray?

I don't think they'll be updating it because John Lurie died while ice fishing with Willem Dafoe.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Red posted:

I can't believe Life Aquatic hasn't gotten the Blu-Ray upgrade yet. :mad:

Isn't it the only Anderson Criterion film that hasn't? I feel like they're big sellers and they're waiting for an opportune market month, like something closer to Christmas.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Twin Cinema posted:

e: Along with the John Cassavetes five films BR that is getting released in October, which I just found out about now.

Oh, nice, I had no idea about that one. Might have to pick it up because I've seen Faces and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie but not the rest.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Does this mean they have access to Sony Picture Classics? I'd love to see films like Before Midnight and The Triplets of Belleville get releases as part of the collection.

Edit: Also, Synechdoche, New York. They already have Being John Malkovich so that's not too much of a stretch.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mod sassinator posted:

I think I'm going to go in for the BBS box set. Any concerns about the blu-ray version of it?

It does not come with the pharmaceuticals necessary to enjoy Head.

Edit: Properly enjoy. It's still a good movie without them.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You know, I really hate how Criterion has started jumping on whatever indie flavor-of-the-month is hot at any given moment. Antichrist, Tiny Furniture, Fantastic Mr. Fox/Moonrise Kingdom, and Blue is the Warmest Color aren't necessarily bad movies (though Tiny Furniture totally is, gently caress that movie) but it seems to defeat what I thought was the purpose of the CC.

It's turning the CC from a "this movie rules" badge to a "hipsters like this movie" badge, and I'm not comfortable with it.

Criterion definitely isn't a "this movie rules" badge. Night Train to Munich, Howard's End and The King of Marvin Gardens are all kind of mediocre, and I'm just naming movies that I own. Criterion will never be only the good movies but releasing popular titles helps them get the money to release stuff that doesn't sell as well.

Cloks fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 17, 2013

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh come now, The King of Marvin Gardens is pretty good. It's not great but it's a far sight better than Drive, He Said or A Safe Place, both of which are in the same box set.

Although worst Criterion film I've seen is hands down Border Radio. Sloppy, boring, doesn't know how to end. Thankfully I only grabbed it from the library and didn't put money down on it.

I meant to put A Safe Place, whoops. Got the titles mixed up.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Secret Honor. That and Cassvette's Faces, but there are much more obscure films in the collection.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Looks like we're getting an M. Hulot boxset in the new year. Time for me to sell the M. Hulot's Holiday, Mon Oncle and Playtime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently Amazon leaked some May releases. Fans of Wes Anderson, Howard Hawks, and Billy Wilder should be very happy.

Zissou blu, about time.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, time to sell the subpar Blu-ray you got me for Christmas.

As soon as I heard that the Tati box was coming, I sold the ones I had. The profits should pay for the new box set when it's out. :getin:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Momotaros posted:

Ughhh, the age old question of either being fiscally responsible or getting what I want. I've been waiting to use the $50 gift card my girlfriend got me for birthday back in November precisely for this occasion. At first I was going to get some individual picks, Throne of Blood, Thief maybe. I really want the Zatoichi box set but I'm impossibly broke, that is until I saw that I have a $10 credit on my account as well. Should I get 3ish individual movies or should the rent check come a little late this month?

Do you prefer living indoors or boxes of Japanese films?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mod sassinator posted:

Point still stands, $20 for a DVD is highway robbery.

Even when it's loaded with special features and is something that you're not likely to find through other distributors?

I have quite a few DVDs from Criterion that aren't on Blu (Man Bites Dog, My Dinner With Andre, Mala Noche, Secret Honor, etc.) that I feel were well worth the price, especially with upgrades on the distant horizon. You're probably talking about the ones with Blu readily available but if I didn't have a player, they're still a really fair value with the restoration and extras.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
They probably want to release a limited number at a time so they don't overwhelm purchasers with the newest titles. It's like how when there's a sale a ton of people are picking up the new hotness - if Criterion dumped all of the legacy releases and movies they have the rights to but aren't on disc (Eraserhead!:argh:) at once they'd have lower sales on them but releasing a few at a time ensures that people are buying them in healthy numbers.

Probably a balance between that and their standards and I'd like to imagine that it's more about standards although it's definitely a business.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Red posted:

Not complaining, since I love most of Anderson's films, but why is this?

Speaking of Anderson, if that list is to be trusted I'm excited for a Hard Eight release especially because the DVD is pretty hard to find and it could mean more Anderson in the collection.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Seems like Costco is carrying a new selection of Criterion discs; mine had the Wes Anderson movies, two lane blacktop, Frances ha, seven samurai and on the waterfront. No real deep cuts but a decent selection for 20 each.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Another Costco had it's a mad... world and a few of the criterion noir films like 39 steps so it seems that selection varies.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I picked up Vanya on 42nd Street and The Only Son/There Was A Father.

If you're a collector you should grab 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Stemberg, as it's going out of print.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

boom boom boom posted:

Oh, I was just assuming it was a Criterion release, but I guess it's not. What happened there?

Wes Anderson has regular releases first and Criterion releases a few years later.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

zandert33 posted:

I would assume that since they are still looking at the film reels that a release this year isn't likely :(.

What movie is it?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sheldrake posted:

Pather Pachali. I spent way too long trying to identify the frames until I noticed it's written on the film canister.

Oh, neat. That reminds me that I need to get some of the Ray films they've already released.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

fenix down posted:

So glad these criterions don't depreciate. :D

This. I was in a tight spot between being a graduate and being employed and I made a tidy sum selling all of my Tati discs, secure in the knowledge that they'll eventually be reissued.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'll try and wait for the next B&N sale for the Tati box but drat is it tempting. I suppose there was no chance they would ever include The Illusionist but it looks like a beautiful set.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Round up:

The Freshman
A Hard Day's Night
Nashville
Vanya on 42nd Street
The Only Son/There Was A Father

I'm happy with these but I'm already planning my purchases for the next sale.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Tootsie is coming sometime in the future. Was this previously known?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Here's a tease of that tease.

Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

GonSmithe posted:

If you use the code sorry30 (and pay with credit card) you can get an additional 30% off of the 50% off price.

Seems like this works on everything in the cart, so there are quite a few Criterion Blus that are $13.29 each.

Edit: That's probably exactly what you meant; I thought you were talking about just The Small Back Room. D'oh!

Cloks fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 24, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Has anyone ordered from TCM before? My movies have been processing since I ordered them and I'd like to know how long the wait is.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Get back at me when the Tati set is released, Criterion.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Here's my review of Eraserhead, the first Lynch anything I've seen:

The gently caress.

This movie is going to stick with me for a while; highly recommended.

The calibration feature on the blu-ray is really nice as well, it's a great looking film.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

sethsez posted:

I wish I could go back in time and watch Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire again for the first time. The situation with him on Blu-Ray in America is pretty interesting in that there's a lot of notable material not on the format at all, but what is out is absolutely pristine and packed with meaningful extras (well, aside from Dune, but that's an outlier in his career in general).

I'm really excited to watch more of his work; I'll probably move on to Twin Peaks next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Yes.