Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ah, good, a thread specifically for me to bemoan the lack of Sidney Lumet releases. Why is the only Network BD release one with a terrible cover. Where is my Network Criterion Collection release. Serpico! Dog Day Afternoon! I love 12 Angry Men but step it up!! :argh:

Between me and my partner we picked up Crumb, House, Fire Walk With Me, Multiple Maniacs, In The Mood For Love 4K, Mulholland Drive, Do The Right Thing, and the Bruce Lee collection this sale. I'm giving myself a few paychecks before I buy them the Godzilla collection (and custom display cases) as a Christmas gift. Still several releases I very much want to get but it'll take a while.

As for Kojima, c'mon buddy slide in a copy of Drive into that closet just for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Very much appreciate the recommendations! I'll still hold out hope for a good Network special edition or Criterion release some day but it's nice to know they've at least hinted at Dog Day Afternoon in the past, and that movie at least has what seems to be a good anniversary edition out. I actually have the 12 Angry Men KL 4K in the mail.

Sliding over from the physical release thread, I think other than Network my dream Criterion releases would be Bound, Interstella 5555 (possibly with Electroma as well), a Satoshi Kon collection (or at least Paprika), Wild Zero, Swiss Army Man, Oldboy, and the aforementioned Drive.

For Kon, I have the Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress steelbooks and the Gkids Tokyo Godfathers release but I'm surprised Paprika, being his most well-known film, doesn't have a particularly fancy release out, and I think his contributions in the world of animation as well as unique artistic vision would make for a really interesting addition to the collection. Interstella 5555 is one I'm surprised no major boutique label has jumped on, and one could argue it's a better fit for others, but I like the idea of it being Criterion just because it'll hopefully mean it goes out-of-print less and I do think it's a deeply influential film for a lot of people, myself included.

It's weird to me how comparatively few releases of any kind Bound has ever gotten, at least in my (admittedly limited) searches. You'd think being the Wachowskis' first film and a big queer landmark as well as just being a genuinely great film would have people chomping at the bit for it. Next Pride month Criterion should appeal to me directly by dropping Wild Zero and Bound. :colbert:

E: Also, thanks to this thread I watched The Life Aquatic on a whim yesterday. What an interesting film! I mainly knew it as "the movie iTunes said Here's To You was from even though it wasn't, that seemed to have bad reviews when I last looked it up". I'm glad I know it for more now. Thanks, Criterion Collection!

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 2, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Good to know the Olive Films edition of Bound is the one I should look for while I wait in vain.

Oh, actually, one last one I desperately wish they would release - American Movie, with an actual transfer of Coven as an extra. From what I understand the existing BD is great but doesn't include Coven, and that documentary, man, it's something special. It'd go well with Crumb.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's funny, I literally just bought that same Double Indemnity set this morning at HPB. I was debating on whether I wanted it or the Criterion release but the included photocards and other features were good for me. Looks great.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Ooh, I almost bought Videodrome the other day. Good to know that when I'm ready I'll have an even better version to enjoy.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The other day I blind bought Robinson Crusoe On Mars from a thrift store, mostly because I wanted to reuse the case for something else but didn't realize that it was released in a standard-sized case instead of the new shorter ones. Luckily it was cheap, and I finally got around to watching it.

It was...well, not super interesting, but it definitely had some charm for a while. Very beautiful matte paintings, sets, and props, and there was a monkey! Very cute. Unfortunately the glacial pace and the decision to suddenly introduce some heavy-handed "teaching the savages the way of our civilization" stuff both dragged the movie down. Could have done without that. I know the movie is literally called Robinson Crusoe On Mars but...eesh. the profundity of the first half is immediately torpedoed.

It was still fun, with a really very good-looking transfer, and even better was the special feature of a music video featuring a song by one of the actors that is both about the movie as well as a tribute to his dead father and features such arresting lyrics as "Robinson Crusoe/Robinson Crusoe on Mars/You'll be the astronaut/And I'll be the guy on Mars". It's so silly, not very good, and yet undeniably sweet, so I'll be keeping the disc just for that reason.

The box art is absolutely gorgeous if nothing else. Fun blind buy, just wish it was overall more entertaining for as interesting a piece of sci-fi as it is.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Well, I'm watching it now thanks to this thread. :hellyeah:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Seems like we're getting three December physical releases, too, including Del Toro's Pinocchio. The other two are Allen Baron's Blast of Silence and "The Red Balloon and Other Stories", a five-film collection of Albert Lamorisse.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pink Flamingos has a slipcover that looks like a brown paper package stamped with Divine's address, with the case itself looking like a portrait of her character, and the booklet is styled like a zine.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Others getting a physical release is really cool and it makes a few of my stranger wishlist releases more plausible.

I'm hoping to get Shaft for Christmas.

My partner got me a Criterion Channel Annual sub as an early Christmas gift, which is awesome. We watched The Doom Generation and loved it, and I really hope that's one that gets a 4K disc release down the line.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I just meant physical Criterion vs. just streaming.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks to this month's collections on the Channel I watched Josie & The Pussycats and holy poo poo that was a phenomenal movie. Bubblegum-flavored They Live. Funny as gently caress, great music, absolutely bonkers wild, and the set design and product placement were high art. There's no way 2001 was ready for this movie and yet it's somehow the most Y2K film ever made. I'm so glad they added it. It and Speed Racer (2008) are shaking hands.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The new Cat Movies collection on the Channel knows exactly what you're looking for. I love how Criterion does that, just highlights some really interesting movies based around a theme. I wanted cute cat shenanigans and That Darn Cat delivered and then some. It's overall not a great movie - a little slow, sometimes funny but mostly very old-fashioned Disney of-the-era stuff, and it's not really a particularly gripping mystery or caper - but the cat is just so cute. :kimchi: A fun way to relax to some jazz music, enjoy a bit of slapstick, and see a cat do cat things.

In the collection I'm looking forward to finally watching Kuroneko and Inside Llewyn Davis, and The Cassandra Cat seems interesting too.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Heath posted:

The best cat movie is House

You'll be happy to know it's also in that particular collection :science:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Bruce Lee set rules. It's how I watched Way Of The Dragon for the first time and realized it's what every single fighting game ever made is trying to be.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Doom Generation was one of my favorite watches of last year and it's all thanks to the Criterion Channel that I watched it at all. I was actually using it to fall asleep to the other day - there's so much about it that's really weirdly hypnotic. I really hope they get that 4K version on disc soon.

Thanks for the On-Gaku recommendation! I'll check it out.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Just watched The Heroic Trio on the channel, which is one of the new releases coming to physical soon. I was expecting a fun movie based on the three leads but this was an absolute blast from beginning to end with a fantastic ending. Way funnier than I expected. The music made it seem like an FMV game and the lighting made me think of Joel Schumacher. Just a great mix of martial arts and superhero silliness. Can't wait to watch Executioners some time.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Picnic At Hanging Rock is an awesome surprise and both Dogfight and Werckmeister sound great.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Learning that it has John Waters and Karyn Kusama talking about Lynch's work makes it worth watching for me.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Brexit the Frog posted:

counterpoint: it was tiresome and bad mostly

Admittedly when I first heard about it when it was playing around the arthouses here I wasn't interested. I'm a huge Lynch fan but don't much care to explore the Oz connections...but John Waters is in it!! Truly a documentary that is a land of contrasts. I'm sure I've watched worse documentaries over the last few months. Some people on the forum here have high praise for it, and some don't. I'll have to find out for myself I suppose.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I really like how the Channel has themed collections, sizzle reels, and descriptions that actually make you want to watch the movies in question. There's a very fun element of discovery to it all and I've watched some great movies I wouldn't have otherwise because of it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

Agreed on all counts :)

Just taking into account the most recent stuff I've watched, I don't think I ever would've come across glorious schlock like "1990: Bronx Warriors" or cool documentaries like "The Art of Rap" & "Freestyle" otherwise.

Yes! The Bronx Warriors was the first new movie I watched this year and I had such a good time with it. I've previously mentioned it's how I watched Donnie Darko and Josie & The Pussycats, as well as The Doom Generation, all of which I loved. I had a great time chilling out with the Olympics films as well. To say nothing of how they include the extras from their physical releases. It's pretty great being able to watch The Heroic Trio and Executioners right now.

I don't feel bad about them shuffling movies in and out either because they're usually pretty clear about what's going when and what's coming. Sure, in general, the world of streaming and media rights and FOMO sucks as a whole but that's why this is a supplement to my physical collection rather than a replacement.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Genuinely, as poo poo as the Razzies are for many reasons, it's awesome to see Criterion put together a list of movies like this. The writeup about the controversial nature of "bad" movies and "low" art filled me with joy.

This must be foreshadowing the long-awaited physical Criterion release of The Room.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I've never seen Girlfight but I love Jennifer's Body so I'm down to watch more Karyn Kusama. Shame that the rights holders for Jennifer's Body means that'll never happen.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I held back and only got the Videodrome 4K, as the $10 coupon paid for shipping, but if the rumors of their upcoming release of Bound are true I may be going on quite the binge next sale as there were at least three releases I held back on this time.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I loved it so much when I saw it last year, and it's one of the movies I've thought about the most since. I seek out the music and think about little scenes constantly. It is tied with American Movie and Barton Fink as my "dream" Criterion release. Hearing that they teased it once only to never release it breaks my heart.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Michael Gambon is immense in TCTTHWAHL. Utterly detestable and relentlessly so, certainly, but the performance is so powerful. It's like watching a car crash. It all plays well with the aesthetics of excess and of grim poverty. I can absolutely understand why it's a single-watch for some but it's too interesting for me.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Release The Island, prove Francis York Morgan right. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm absolutely delighted about Bound. I have the Olive release but I'm willing to upgrade. It was one of my wishlist releases. Definitely upgrading Blue Velvet as well. Very cool month.