Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Has there ever been talk of the Eclipse sets being upgraded to blu-ray? I've been weirdly hesitant to buy any of them in the hopes that they might (and also because of hulu).

In any case I will re-buy F for Fake at MSRP with goddamned bells on; that movie is a joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Picked up Breaking the Waves and Salò today.

The cashier didn't seem to wanna make eye contact with me, and I guess B&N has crystal clear bags now? So people on the train ride home probably thought I was a suicide risk or something. Good times.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I'll have to keep an eye on my copy of Pierrot le Fou :smuggo:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

But that's the Director Approved edition!

I think this is how we find out that Lynch is the new George Lucas, slowly retooling all his most beloved films years after year.
The "fixed" discs will have CGI worms in place of the clay ones, and Uncle Kracker will be providing a new version of 'In Heaven.'

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Finally they pull this poo poo on a payday for me :v:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah F for Fake is incredible.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

How much hope should one hold out for eventual blu-ray rereleases of Eclipse sets (or at least HD upgrades on hulu+)?

I wanna buy the Oshima set but I feel a little foolish investing much in DVDs in 2014.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

upgraded F for Fake and blind-bought the Tati set (all I've seen is 'Holiday'). apparently you can reserve stuff for in-store pickup? I felt guilty doing so. almost.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Super excited about Every Man For Himself. Criterion previously hasn't seemed interested in Godard's post-new wave output, and a lot of it is really tough to find (outside of non-English friendly releases from France).

Fuckin' A.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I wouldn't mind getting upgrades of the rest of his early fun stuff too tho. A Woman is a Woman, specifically.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Discount Viscount posted:

I hope Tendercrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch makes it in.

finally, someone else who remembers this

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Let's not poo poo-talk Jon Turteltaub, now

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Oh man, I forgot I had a $10 gift cert from when I got my Eraserhead disc replaced.

Just picked up Every Man for Himself & My Winnipeg for $30 + shipping :v:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I only really bought that box for Head, but was pleasantly surprised by the stuff I hadn't yet seen. Even loving A Safe Place, kind of, i guess.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

crossing my fingers for DumbLand

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

my current not-on-Hulu picks:

-Hiroshima Mon Amour
-Paths of Glory
-In the Mood for Love
-Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (blind buy)
-Love Streams (blind buy)

might also pick up the Cassavetes 'Five Films' box, or Shoah later in the month

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The transfer team keeps crying on the print.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

According to someone on CriterionForum, it looks like Criterion is working on a restored version of The World's Greatest Sinner.

bullpoo poo

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Chimes at Midnight

ffffffffffffuck yes

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Slate Action posted:

I wonder how much of a financial hit all that extra manufacturing is for a company like Criterion.

(Wes Anderson busts out his velcro wallet)

"OK guys, how much do ya need this time?"

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

but what about the laserdisc numbers

we just gonna forget those ever happened....??

fuckin Criterion, retconning things

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Citizen Kane is the REAL #1

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

let's not forget AKIRA

:goonsay:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Angels with Dirty Faces?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

The_Rob posted:

I can't remember does the criterion website sell their stuff for 50 percent off when the B&N sale is going on? I finally got around to watching Weekend and realized I have to own the Blu Ray. I have that 10 bucks criterion have me so I want to use it during a sale.

which Weekend

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

:thumbsup:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i grabbed:
-Trilogy of Life (blind buy)
-By Brakhage
-Shoah (only seen the first hour, thanks to my public library copy being scuffed beyond repair)

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

gently caress yeah, the Graduate and Death by Hanging in Feb

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i liked that one April Fools Day where they were like "lol if you'd think we'd put out C.H.U.D. tho"

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

lol if you didn't rent Seven Samurai back when you were 14 as a beat-up double VHS from Embassy Home Video so you could have ~film cred~

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

quote:

The festival will also screen Orson Welles’s Chimes at Midnight, from Janus Films (coming from Criterion in 2016).

:jackbud:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Unmature posted:

I don't know any of these movies! Can someone tell me what's so great about them?

Chimes at Midnight is on youtube, go watch it

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

gently caress yeah, finally all the Stillman stuff is gonna be on blu-ray (meaning I won't have to pay $20 for a barebones HD copy on Prime Instant)

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Raxivace posted:

How interesting of a watch is Head if you have like zero familiarity with The Monkees?

to the dude with the trippy Eva avatar: watch Head

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

caved and grabbed Death by Hanging, The Graduate, and On The Waterfront

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

morestuff posted:

Amazon has Chunking Express back on sale, no idea if it's back in print or if this is just a mistake

worthless without the 90s Quentin Tarantino intro from the Rolling Thunder release

"hey there FILM FAAAAAANS"

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I got King Kong, Swing Time, Magnificent Ambersons, and Othello

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

SubG posted:

Diary of a Shinjuku Thief (1969)

they have this on Hulu, so i'd guess they hold some sort of rights to it..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Hughes only produced Scarface tho, its actual Director was Howard Hawks

:goonsay: