Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

1984 is a "we live in a society" movie, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

And while I'm bitching, where's my goddamned blu for Knife in the Water????

Just tell Polanksi that Criterion hasn't done it yet, he'll get his lawyers on them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

woo, Half Price Books memorial day sale means dirt cheap Criterions

Any duds in this stack? The only one I'd heard of before was Modern Times(that's the one where the horror of capitalism is depicted by a man riding on a giant gear and wiggling his eyebrows, right?)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You guys were right, Anatomy of a Murder is good. Never thought I'd hear Jimmy Stewart say "panties" so many times.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I thought Modern Times was supposed to be a comedy, not a goddamn documentary.

It was good, although it was the first full length silent movie I've ever seen, and man it's a lot harder for me to focus on a silent picture than a talkie. I kept feeling like I should put a podcast on while I watched or something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Detective No. 27 posted:

Watch City Lights next.

If I watch another Charlie Chaplin movie soon it's gonna be the other one with the babe who played the Gamin. She was really good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I wasn't expecting a Charlie Chaplin movie to have a segment where he just does a ton of coke and gets in a fight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched the first Killers. It was alright. Good story but kinda dull in places. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who thought so since they included the soft reboot on the disc. Hopefully that'll punch it up a bit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The soft reboot Killers from the 60s really does punch it up. There's car crashes, car explosions, the 40s babe has been swapped for a 60s babe, the insurance salesman is gone, and they decided to do it in color this time. All big improvements.

It's really weird to see Ronald Reagan in a movie. Like, that dude goes on to do some hosed up poo poo. Letting AIDS kill tens of thousands of people, sending guns to Nicaraguan rape and murder squads, sending guns to Osama Bin Laden, Reagan is directly responsible for so many deaths. It's like seeing Woody Allen or Louis CK in a movie, only times a thousand. It's like a picture of John Wayne Gacy as a clown.

Movie was alright though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Goddamn, that shot of the guy getting out of the car, and you can only see him from the waist down, and he's holding a gun, and there's blood running out one pant leg and after a beat some blood starts to drop from above screen, that's fantastic. Every revenge movie needs to just straight up rip that off. It's such an amazing way to visually get across just the concept of revenge, it should be public domain. Every movie that even has a scene about revenge should use.

Was there some kind of agreement between Hollywood and the auto industry in the 60s, that if you wanted to include a race car on screen in your movie you were also contractually obligated to include at least 10 minutes of race footage?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

L'eclisse is very boring. But I guess that's inevitable when you make a movie about ennui, the most garbage tier emotion

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

at the end when it's just a bunch of shots of stuff and people around the intersection with the uneasy music and the guy gets off the bus with a newspaper and the camera focuses in for a long time on the "NUCLEAR RACE HEATS UP" headline I wondered if they were gonna have it end with the city getting nuked. But they didn't I guess it was just part of the horror of modernity or whatever.

Also, the blackface scene.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coaaab posted:

sex pestering is far inferior staple of the arthouse

I don't know if that's an emotion. Hornyness is an emotion though, and there are fantastic movies about hornyness

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coaaab posted:

some weenie guy pleading for sex from someone more attractive, intelligent, and socially well-adjusted is absolutely an emotion

that's a mood

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In A Lonely Place: The Max Landis Story

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just watched Kuroneko. It's good. But drat Criterion has to stop doing white subtitles on black and white movies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lmao that sucks so much. wow, imagine movies that are as classy as books!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Looks like it was designed for classroom screenings and the local community college’s tv station.

It looks like the logo of a company that makes cheap adaptations of public domain books. I'm imaging a parallel universe where people get really nostalgic when they see it because they watched the Criterion version of Treasure Island or The Scarlet Letter in middle school

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Has Criterion done any good war movies?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lol I didn't even think to check if that was a genre on their site. Thanks!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shame looks like a bummer. I was hoping they'd have badass war movies, like The Longest Day

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I, Butthole posted:

:emptyquote::emptyquote:

The Thin Red Line too

I should try that one, I really liked The Thin Blue Line.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Half Price Books is doing one of their coupon weeks in July, so I'll wait for that to try something new. My Barnes and Noble picks are gonna be all guaranteed winners. I got Pan's Labyrinth

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there usually a coupon code or something? I'm waiting to see if there's going to be something come the first but I vaguely remember there being a 10 percent off code or something occasionally coinciding with these sales.

A couple years back they stopped letting you stack coupons with the Criterion sale

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

this year's Half Price Books coupon week has been crazy. Usually it's pretty slim pickings for Criterions, I just gotta get whatever weird thing they have. Like Modern Times of The Double Life of Vernoique. But so far I've picked up Cronos, Tokyo Drifter and Kagemusha. And I'm planning to go back tomorrow and Sunday for High and Low and Branded To Kill

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hope and vaseline posted:

Double Life of Veronique is great, you're in for a treat.

yeah, I liked it. very yellow

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like #1000 and/or the 2019 big box might have been leaked.

No one here will be disappointed.

#1000 is Godzilla Final Wars?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

But seriously, once they hit 1,000 that's it, right? They've done the 1,000 best movies and the collection is complete?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Don't buy from Amazon today, Amazon workers are on strike

https://twitter.com/iww/status/1150768621041438722

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

L'Eclisse did the same thing! How many Criterion Collection movies have surprise blackface?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Haxan looks badass

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Toho just announced that they consider Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy to be Reiwa. So while I still expect the Godzilla boxest to be just Showa, Showa+Heisei got a lot more likely.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

well, shoot

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Three Outlaw Samurai is pretty good.

Studios don't make enough evil magistrate stories anymore. It's all superheros and live action remakes nowadays. Those are fine, but I'll still take a simple story about an evil magistrate any day of the week.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

"Intriguing" is cancelled? What happened?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rashomon is good. I especially liked the Witness account fight scene, more movies need fights like that.

But I guess I hosed up and bought the fullscreen version by mistake. I gotta take it back to the store and trade it in for the widescreen version

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know what I'm getting on day one of the November sale

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That's not gonna fit on my Criterion shelf :(

Also, I want all of those illustrations as posters

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Get one of those big dictionary stands like libraries have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Cameo posted:

I never thought I’d see Jet Jaguar look like he’s doing something cool, but that box art definitely makes him look about a 1000x cooler than anything he does in the actual movie.

Is it the first movie to be an MST3K episode AND Criterion release?

yes, although Rifftrax did do Salo, I don't know if you'd count that