Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CRAYON posted:

drat that Godzilla set is so beautiful. I might have to get one of those vinyl record shelfs and cut it down just for this release.

You could just get something like this and put it on a normal shelf

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Medium-Acrylic-Easels-Premium/dp/B017T3NAUW/ref=sr_1_37?keywords=book+stand&qid=1564084395&s=gateway&sr=8-37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1154470990681763840?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If people are gonna complain about Criterion's release choices, what's the point of complaining about anything other than how few animated movies they've done?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know that they've recently decided that it's OK to do animated movies, so I'd like to see them do a anime.

C'mon, nobody else is going to put Angel's Egg on bluray! Do it, you cowards!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Zogo posted:

Yea, compared to the Bond series the Godzilla series goes in all kinds of directions. Bond never had a son. Bond never dies etc.

no Mecha Bond

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gripweed posted:

no Mecha Bond

OK, I feel dumb

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was serious about Angel's Egg, that is 100% up Criterion's alley

or, for that matter, Dallos. Mamoru Oshii's second feature length production, his first not based on an existing work, literally the first direct-to-video animation ever released. It literally invented OVAs. That alone makes it one of the most important landmarks in animation history

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 27, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cemetry Gator posted:

As far as I know, Dallos is licensed by Discotek media.

yeah but they haven't done a bluray release of it so Criterion should take the license from them

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was gonna suggest a collection of Makoto Shinkai's short films, but then I realized he was making those on his home computer in the early 2000s, so it's probably impossible to do HD versions of them :(

So instead I'm gonna ask for a Criterion release of Gunbuster.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Parallax posted:

discotek already does criterion-level releases of stuff for anime. at this point i just want more niche labels to get bigger recognition, i don't give a gently caress if it's criterion. it's kinda exhausting hearing people beg for things that criterion will almost never release because of whatever biases they have or have had in the past

but Discotek's releases don't look as fancy on my shelf.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think everyone should own a copy of Double Life of Veronique.

I wish I hadn't bought a used copy, there was something hosed up with the disc and the whole movie was tinted slightly yellow

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kwaidan rips

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Detective No. 27 posted:

Fill in the blank:

This is the sale where I finally buy _______.

For me, I think it's gonna be Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Valley of the Dolls. I've thought about blind buying it before, but didn't. And I saw it was on that list of movies that might be in a precarious situation because of the Fox thing, so this might be my last chance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drat, people have figured out that the Barnes and Noble sale is all well and good, but the Half Price Books coupon week is real goddamn cheap Criterions time. There are three Half Price Bookses near me, and this was all I was able to get

I've seen Bottle Rocket(ages ago, I remember it being kinda ehh but I figured it's worth another look), but the others are blind buys.

And I wasn't being picky. I got all the Criterions they had except for Rosemary's Baby and three copies of Benjamin Button

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm pretty sure every Half Price books is issued with a single copy of Benjamin Button when they open. No Half Price Books has ever sold their copy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

For All Mankind is alright.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

For All Mankind is bad?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

codyclarke posted:

For anyone enjoying the Godzilla set, I'd highly recommend the Japanese kaiju TV show form the 60's Ultra Q, released recently on blu-ray. It was shot on 35mm black-and-white and has received a Criterion-level restoration. The series was created by Eiji Tsuburaya, the genius behind the special effects of Godzilla, Mothra, and more. I am floored by how great this show looks, and by how thoroughly I am enjoying it. The episodes are concise and breezy and boast some of the best man-in-suit work I've ever seen.

I really need to get on that. I've been wanting to give the Ultraman franchise a chance and now that they're doing the blurays I don't have an excuse not to.

bear named tators posted:

No, it's not just alright. It's FANTASTIC.

I usually have trouble getting into that style of documentary that's just archival footage and audio without a narrator or anything. And I'd seen most of that footage already. It's a good movie but it's not really up my bag.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Breathless. Wasn't crazy about it. That's my second Godard movie I didn't like so I guess I'm not a Godard fan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Bottle Rocket is distractingly half-formed Wes Anderson. The shots, the use of music, the dialogue, the costumes, it's constantly almost a Wes Anderson movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Valley of the Dolls needs more montages.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1209647188260872193?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A Boy And His Dog is one of those movies where I can understand why people can't get through it, but man the ending really is what makes it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Broadcast News is pretty good. Although crazy long for a romcom. And the love triangle is absurdly lopsided. A handsome guy who's popular and great at his job but still humble and honest and open about his feelings and supports women vs an insecure rear end in a top hat who sucks and doesn't believe in date rape.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

that Grand Budapest Hotel cover kinda sucks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

the cover of the standard bluray is not only much nicer looking, but also more visually striking and more representative of the movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm not crazy about any of the doodle covers, but the Rushmore one is definitely the biggest improvement over the pre-Criterion cover

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was led to believe that Smiles of a Summers Night was a romantic comedy? The guy is tormented by his lust for his mother-in-law, who is younger than him. His father, Mother-in-law, and even the maid all know it and tease him mercilessly about it, leaving the guy in a constant state of humiliating arousal. Meanwhile, the father is torn between his lust for his young bride and the fact that he sees her more as a daughter than a wife. So they've never had sex. Which leaves his virginal wife, who also sees him as more of a father than a husband but still wants to have sex with him, terribly sexually frustrated. That's not a romantic comedy! That's a goddamn psycho-sexual semi-incestual nightmare!

And another thing. The back of the case says Smiles of a Summers Night is a Swedish movie, and also a "great erotic comedy". Which would lead any reasonable person to expect that there's gonna be a lot of boobs. But there are no boobs! Not a single boob in the whole 110 minutes.

2/5 stars

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Great Escape owns

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1228396736659492864?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Do Criterion's 24 hour sales come at predictable times?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kuroneko is very good samurai horror

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I do not understand what logic they use to decide which of their covers to sell as posters

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm not gonna lie, at first glance I misread this and thought the Criterion Collection was finally giving Dragon Ball the presentation it deserves.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

So what's the deal with Benjamin Button? Why is it so cheap? Why is it in a normal bluray case? Why does every Half Price Books have a single copy of it that is never sold?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Have any Tarkovsky fans read Roadside Picnic? I know the earlier version of Stalker is a little more faithful but is it a good read on its own?

It's great. Better than the movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cloks posted:

Woah now. I've read it and this just isn't true.

So have I and it is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xenomrph posted:

Wait but Amazon has it cheaper and I like saving money

Then wait untilt eh barnes and noble sale and get it even cheaper

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Local Hero is alright. The first hour or so is kinda dull but it picks up towards the end. It's very 80s, with capital B Businessmen and lots of jokes about wacky psychiatrists. It was kinda fun to see a movie about a big city guy going to a small town where the small town just absolutely sucks rear end. It's ugly and grey and boring and full of old men.

Field of Dreams was one of my favorite movies as a kid so it was neat to see the doctor from Field of Dreams playing the CEO in Local Hero.

Not bad, got some nice imagery and good bits, but Northern Exposure is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is The Magician a horror movie? It's got a spooky skull on the cover