Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I got Cure. I hope it lives up to Kurosawa’s previous work I watched, his cameo appearance as himself in Koji Shiraishi’s horror mockumentary Occult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Never tried his work. Always intimidated me.

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1227746326701596672?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

At some point a couple years ago did somebody at the Criterion office say, "hey, has anybody else noticed that we don't do movies with black people in them?" and now they're trying to make up for lost time?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ex Machina is a good AI film, too.

Automata is way better. Automata kinda hosed me up for other robot movies because the ideas it has about intelligent robots are so clever and immediately obviously way more realistic than how robots are depicted in most other sci-fi. It's like, if you're just doing a killer robot story or whatever fine but if you wanna make me think seriously about the emergence of intelligent machine life you need to bring ideas to the table as or more compelling than what Automata did.

It's just a shame Automata is super loving boring.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/kaizerkunkun/status/1670117182146228225?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Woodenlung posted:

if he could pick any

taxi driver
joker
escape from new york
fight club
american psycho
nightwalker
drive
evangelion

I don’t think any of those have Criterions.

And why Evangelion instead of Gundam? Zone of the Enders is very blatantly just a straight up remake of the first bit of Mobile Suit Gundam.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 17, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Woodenlung posted:

badly phrased, but that's what i meant with my first line.

and idk tbh. i have big blind spots in anime.

You gotta make time for Mobile Suit Gundam. It's genuinely an excellent series, holds up to modern standards with flying colors. And it's like a goddamn skeleton key for understanding the anime that came after. Gundam was so influential that once you've watched it you will see the legacy of Gundam in tons of anime that came after.

Fun fact, at an event to promote the first Gundam movie two Gundam fans (who would both go on to become important figures in anime in their own right) cosplaying as Char and Lalah took to the stage and read a prepared statement in which they proclaimed that Gundam marked the beginning of a "New Century" of anime. Anime was no longer just mindless entertainment for children, it was serious stories that explored the breadth of human experience, and Gundam was the light that showed the way. Neon Genesis Evangelion's Japanese title is Shinseiki Evangelion. New Century Evangelion. The very title was a promise that Evangelion was an anime in the vein of Gundam!

Listen to Hideaki Anno, the creator of Gunbuster, Evangelion, and Shin Godzilla, when he says

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kart Barfunkel posted:

But which Gundam? Where do I go to watch it?Gundam seems so daunting.

Mobile Suit Gundam. That's the first Gundam. There are arguments in favor of the TV series or the movie versions, but frankly either is fine. That's the historically important one and still one of the top shows in the franchise. The movies are on Netflix and were just added to Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9iRU93dLzo

While that's the first Gundam, Many other excellent Gundam series are available, and most of them make excellent entry points to the franchise. The currently running Gundam series, Witch From Mercury, is bringing in a lot of new fans, as it requires no previous familiarity with the franchise and is the first Gundam series to have a queer protagonist. It's all on Youtube as well (watch the proglogue first, then episode 1 and so on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGW2JRxWUU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Alright fuckers let's make one thing clear: You start Gundam with a single alternate timeline one. Wing, G, whatever, pick your poison.

Then you go down the main timeline chronologically:
- MSG Movie Trilogy (compilation of the OG series with better animation at times)
- 0080 War In The Pocket
- 08th MS Team
- 0083 Stardust Memory (aka Top Gundam)
- Zeta (the GOAT Gundam series)
- ZZ
- Char's Counter Attack
- Unicorn
- Victory
- F91

That’s terrible advice. Mobile Suit Gundam -> Zeta -> ZZ -> Chars counterattack tell an ongoing story helmed by one creator, those need to be watched in order. But everything else came later and can be watched whenever.

0080 and 0083 especially are standalone side stories created by different people, you watch them by themselves just fine. And your experience with Zeta will not be richer for having seen them, because Zeta came first and wasn’t made for audiences that had seen those show because they didn’t exist yet!

Victory and F91 are set decades after Chars Counterattack, don’t continue any of the plot or character threads from it, and function as essentially standalone entries. They are also both rather polarizing so making them part of some “must watch” list will do nothing but put off a bunch of people.

Unicorn functions perfectly well as an entry point as it was created in part to get new fans interested in the older shows. If anything, people who haven’t seen the older shows yet end up liking Unicorn more than older fans because they don’t see how it’s retreading old ground.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

dorium posted:

Is After Hours for sure going to be on sale?

If it's available during July, it will be on sale

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think I'm gonna go hard on old white guy movies this sale

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Origami Dali posted:

If I haven't seen any Ozu, can I just start anywhere, or should I go chronologically? I know some films are thematically linked but not exactly sequels, and there's two versions of Floating Weeds. Is there a recommended film as an introduction?

I don’t think you can go chronologically, I thought some of his early movies were lost. Because of the war.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anybody got any strong opinions on this first slate of Janus Contemporaries?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh poo poo they got The Bed Sitting Room on Criterion Channel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm crushed to discover the movie's not actually called that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Day The Earth Caught Fire is amazing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

On-Gaku is so fun. I've never seen a movie about the joy of music that comes down so strongly on the idea that you never ever have to get good, or even try to get good, to enjoy making music.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know they're more pop/cult releases but is it kosher to being up Arrow here? B&N is having a 50% sale on them and Amazon is matching. Got a preorder for the 4k remaster of the Conan movies for $40.

Get ye to the physical media thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853471&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I can’t really be interested in any Picnic at Hanging Rock release if they still haven’t found and restored the ending.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Castro was good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m not sure why Criterion Collection decided to include as the last movie in their Jackie Chan collection a movie that has ten minutes of Jackie Chan in the beginning an then becomes a boner comedy starring five guys who aren’t Jackie Chan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, and I’m guessing the rights situation is just very weird overall. Definitely of the 3 Lucky Stars films, Criterion got the best one for Jackie Chan, since he actually gets some pretty good action sequences.

The third one was the worst of the bunch. Barely any Jackie Chan because he was injured during the shooting of Police Story. In general, I feel like they’re very much of a time and place.

Overall, The Rise to Stardom set is a little mixed. There’s some good films, but I never have to see Spiritual Kung Fu or Fearless Hyena 2 ever again. Both of those are comically bad. I felt that Young Master was a little boring, but maybe I should try it again.

The best part of the set is the long fight at the end of Half a Loaf of Kung Fu. There are so many action gags in it, it's amazing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Tom Green is finally being recognized for the auteur he is.

I know they filmed a massive boat explosion for that movie specifically in order to not include that scene in the final cut, have any of the physical releases included it as a deleted scene?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

With Criterion making an effort to do more queer cinema, maybe they'll be the ones to finally give us D.E.B.S. on bluray

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

all the cool people have switched over to Vinegar Syndrome

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Escobarbarian posted: