Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

vertov posted:

I really like it, but it's not something that everyone will enjoy. Here's the trailer to satisfy your curiosity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1UlPPId-o

edit - as much as a I love the movie, the trailer is so much better. "A story that defies logic!"

Wow, I got really interested as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Bought Equinox.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Finally Ivan's Childhood. Criterion first announced it officially like three years ago?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Also in the newsletter: Tokyo Olympiad is going out of print. You may think you wouldn't like a 3-hour documentary about the Olympics, but Kon Ichikawa makes it a thoroughly compelling experience.

Tokyo Olympiad is really excellent, sad to see it go. At least I own a copy.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

vertov posted:

Also, someone at cf.org is claiming that the Eclipse box for August is going to be three of Sam Fuller's films. That pretty much redeems the month for me.

That would rock. Just ordered a few Criterions:

Fires on the Plain
Honeymoon Killers
Jules and Jim
Salesman
La Haine
Vengeance is Mine

Haven't seen any of them (yes, including J&J). I love every Truffaut I've seen, and love Tokyo Olympiad, the rest are pretty much blind-buys (though I've seen bits of Salesman in college and was quite impressed).

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Wow, wow. Being a Jarmusch fan, I was already looking forward to Night on Earth. Seeing Stranger than Paradise being released too is just way awesome.

Oh and

Permanent Vacation (1980, 75 minutes), Jarmusch's first full-length feature, presented in a new, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised by the director

At last!

bmmello fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 16, 2007

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

loving yeah. And what a few surprises in there: Bottle Rocket, Chungking Express, The Man Who Fell to Earth, For All Mankind.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Argh, I've just bought those exact Kaurismaki titles (also together in a box) in R2 (UK). Have you actually seen those import DVDs FFD, or have you seen them by other means?

The only Kaurismaki film I've seen so far is Lights in the Dusk (which I loved) and I'm wanting to check out more. I've also bought the R2 The Man Without a Past, they were all cheap from Amazon UK. Also from that order was Innocence, which I really liked though sadly the DVD didn't feature a very good transfer.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Alice in the Cities is very very good. Perhaps my favourite Wenders, next to The State of Things. I've recently bought the UK DVD (along with Paris and Wings :( ), but would definetely double-dip that (Alice), specially if it's released on blu also.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Well, I own House of Games and it is not really inverted.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

April titles:

#467 - Science Is Fiction: 23 Films by Jean Painlevé

* New, restored digital transfers
* The Sounds of Science, an original score by Yo La Tengo to Jean Painlevé’s films, plus an interview with the band
* More than two hours of interviews with the filmmaker, drawn from the eight-part television series Jean Painlevé au fils de ses films, directed by Denis Derrien and Hélène Hazera
* New and improved English subtitle translations
* PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film scholar Scott MacDonald and notes on all the films by Painlevé

poo poo, I've ordered the UK version of this last week, directly from YLT's website. And it wasn't very cheap.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

My copy of it actually arrived today. Only did a quick look of it, but the transfers of that version are already quite gorgeous. It is only a double-pack though, looks like I'm gonna have to double-dip if I really like it. I already know the music well and it is quite beautiful.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I think it's most definetely Che. If I remember correctly, Motorcycle Diaries didn't feature much of the jungle. And that icon in the parrot's shirt is most definitely Che era's Che Guevara.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

My My Dinner With Andre DVD arrived today and it seems that my cover is much darker than the one seen in the Criterion website (the background table is almost black). Are all copies like that or did mine come with a printing error or something?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Man, that's a hard call. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but I don't think there's a whole lot of rewatch value to it.

Well, it has for me. I love the Yo La Tengo score they did for some of the shorts and I also look forward to watching them with the original soundtrack/narration in the future.

I own the two Masters of Cinema blu-rays released so far: Mad Detective and Tokyo Sonata. They are both quite good (and region-free). Don't own any of the silents though.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

While not really traditional sci-fi films, both of Lars Von Triers available in the collection have sci-fi elements: The Element of Crime and Europa. They're very dystopian also. And very good, in my opinion.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Any takers for my extra Vampyr and Malle Documentaries Eclipse? $22.50 for Vampyr, $34.50 for the Malle. $57 for both. I got Vampyr today and the Malle is coming tomorrow.

I'll take them both. Do you mind shipping it to Brazil? I'll pay whatever shipping charges you might have. Contact me on PM.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

drat, after spending a lot of money in Barnes and Noble in the past weeks, I couldn't resist and got Pandora's Box and If....

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Totally unexpected announcements. I didn't like Gomorrah at all though. When will we get Revanche?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Sporadic posted:

That, Contempt and Walkabout are the only titles left from the original Criterion Blu-Ray press release that haven't had a release date announced yet.

I thought Contempt was discarded a few months ago (like the Ran release was), but I might be wrong.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

That Stalker one is superb.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I've asked if there are any plans to release more Wenders in the near future, and mentioned that Until the End of the World is in desperate need of a proper R1 release. Their reply:

"Thanks for the suggestions. No plans for Until the End at the moment."

So... :/

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Newsletter:

Well, that's a no-brainer. 8 1/2 on Blu. Time to eBay my DVD.

Also, this:

Wouldn't it be better if you wait until the disc is actually released? Remember what happened with Ran.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Criterion just did a lightning-fast contest on Facebook, where $10 would be awarded to the first who identified in a picture a certain director who was interviewed today.

The answer was Claire Denis, and if that means she is coming to the collection I'm all over it. Denis is one of my absolute favorite directors working today, auteur of masterpieces such as Trouble Every Day, Beau Travail, Friday Night and The Intruder. I had the pleasure of watching her two latest features in the Rio film festival, 35 Shots of Rum and White Material. They are very different from each other but both are quite awesome.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

So it turns out the Claire Denis interview was for Paris, Texas. As excited as I am for that release, I still hope Criterion eventually releases something by Denis in the future.

Also, Until the End of the World if we are talking about Wenders.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Crown Royal posted:

I'm looking forward to buying Gomorra and I don't know why. Two of the five stories in the film weren't good, and they're pretty predictable.

I didn't like it at all. A Christmas Tale, on the other hand, seems like an interesting blind purchase from me.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

This could mean either by Brakhage on Blu-Ray, by Brakhage 2 on Blu-Ray, or both.

This would be awesome news, either way. I lost my copy of By Brakahage somehow, and was almost buying it again at the Barnes and Noble sale.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Both Hunger and Revanche are very good films. Hunger isn't exactly a film I would look forward to watching it multiple times but I might have to check it again on Blu-ray. Don't know anything about MWFT but that really is a cool cover.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Also, strange, no reissues in Blu-ray this February?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Black Orpheus

Which is not really considered part of South American/Brazilian cinema.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Why would anybody sell Up?

Gorgeous movie, and gorgeous release too.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Too bad I already imported it from the UK :(
(It's Fish Tank)

poo poo, same situation here. Well, off to double-dip as I also look forward to subtitles.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Which of those Buñuels come as recommended? I love Exterminating Angel but haven't seen anything else by him (except Un Chien Andalou). This should be a great chance to buy/watch more of his.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Sheldrake posted:

This and Obscure Object are my two favorite Bunuels. I think either one would do you well.

Thanks, I'll be getting those two and the Becker, which seems like something I will enjoy.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I do recall it showing up on the "Coming Soon" section of the site though. So probably it had a release date.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

drat it, I forgot this was coming and bought the following blus in the recent weeks: M, red Desert and Everlasting Moments through Amazon.

Oh well, might pick The Leopard and the Pedro Costa boxset. Also been meaning to check The Spirit of the Beehive, does that come recommended around here?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I became a B&N member at the sale last year, but haven't used the store much since them. What happened with the additional discounts to each item? I see they now offer free expedited shipping, however that doesn't work for me as I live abroad.

Well, my membership expires at the end of the month and I don't think I'll renew it.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Yesterday I've watched Everlasting Moments. I don't think i ever saw it mentioned here, and it was a blind purchase. I do not regret it one bit, a very fine movie. And the blu-ray is gorgeous, of course.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I like it better than the promo one that was posted before.

I do hope that the promo for Darjeeling is the official though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Equinox Flower is also a great color one.

How is Late Spring? I decided to order it because I adore Claire Denis' 35 Shots of Rum which seems to be very much inspired by that one, or a free remake.

It also includes Wenders' Tokyo-Ga, which I've seen and really appreciate it.