Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Bown posted:

Would anyone with the Crumb DVD release be able to tell me if it's Region 1 or Region 0? Thanks.

I think most (if not all) Criterion DVDs are region 1 nowadays. I don't have it to check though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I would be seriously disappointed with Criterion if they manage to release Soderbergh's Solaris on Blu-ray before Tarkovsky's.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Yeah, that's what I call a light month. I've never seen Cronos, I want to check that.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

friendo55 posted:

i still have yet to figure out why they completely cancelled ali: fear eats the soul .. anyone have anything similar to that happen to them?

Yeah, it also happened with me.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Yet another Criterion closet video.

I hope this is a sign White Material is coming.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

A Jonathan Demme picture is coming to Criterion.

Any ideas?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Black Moon perhaps?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

That'd make sense, Criterion loves Malle.

I like him very much too, but haven't seen that one. Have you?

I've been meaning to, though, as it was made with Sven Nykvist. It would also make sense for them to release as I don't believe there's a good DVD of it.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Somebody on FB said that definitely is a blu-ray sized case.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Does anybody know when will it be the next B&N sale?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Heh, first time I've guessed something right from the newsletter teasers. Looking forward to watch it, at last, though I didn't really like the cover.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Is it just me or the quality of Criterion covers has been decreasing as of late? There was a time that I used to like every single cover they released. Recently, there has been only a few that I really like. And the new Solaris edition, for example, has a much worse cover.

The original Black Moon poster is quite great.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Solondz's Life During Wartime is coming. I didn't really like it, though I haven't seen Happiness.

Oh, and that explains the Michael K. Williams closet video.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

That must be The Killing.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

If anyone looks at the Criterion Facebook page, they just posted a video of Kent Jones talking about a new release. Call me optimistic, but it sure sounds like Blue Velvet.

Nope, it's C.H.U.D.

April's fool. Audio commentary by Pedro Costa, good choice.

bmmello fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 1, 2011

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I was mostly certain they would release Certified Copy, as it is Kiarostami and IFC. And the film is quite brilliant. Does that mean I'll need to pick the UK release? I did this with White Material and had to double -dip.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I've said this before and I will say it again: what is going on with the Criterion covers? Most new ones are either: bland, inappropriate, ugly to the eyes or just plain lovely.

Good month though, except Life During Wartime which I didn't like at all. I can't believe that they really passed the opportunity to release Certified Copy.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

The Cameo posted:

Also, good lord, what is he going to pull out of that closet?

A drat lot.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I want to pick George Washington but it won't go below $35.49. Guess I'll need to wait for B&N. When is it due?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

APatheticPoster posted:

The Killing

Also includes Killer's Kiss.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Cat People, perhaps?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

W.C. Fields: Six Short Films is now showing "New, restored high-definition digital transfer".

Most, if not all, DVD releases show that, don't they?

http://www.criterion.com/films/455-au-hasard-balthazar

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Seems like a standard torero outfit.

Would love to see Almodovar in Criterion (could be Talk to Her as well, but less likely).

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Blu-ray confirmed what I was fearing. The Carlos release includes English subtitles only in the non-english parts.

"For the record, Criterion have provided optional English subtitles for the main feature. Unfortunately, they only appear when English isn't spoken, which is somewhat disappointing as many of the important characters in the film are not native English-speakers and have rather thick accents. "

I can't understand why Criterion does this on titles that feature multiple languages, like Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, seeing that all of their sole English releases all feature SDH.

Still, excellent title and a must-buy for me.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds, that they're not providing subtitles. What the gently caress? This isn't a niggling complaint like the windowboxing on some of their DVD releases, either, this is a major issue.

I've written to Mulvaney complaining about this. Let's see if he replies.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I know it looks exactly like the poster, but the World on a Wire cover is hands down the best one Criterion has put in months.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

i thought they'd said they weren't releasing it. What changed?

Yeah, I remember that. Though I never understood the reason - "minor Kiarostami"??? Hell, it's miles better than Tiny Furniture. I've really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Interesting month, but horrible, horrible covers. What's going on, Criterion?