Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

FitFortDanga posted:

The people at criterionforum.org are speculating from a recent blog that Eclipse Series 2 will be Louis Malle documentaries, but I haven't seen any real evidence to support that.

It's pretty explicit in the blog.

Peter Becker posted:

The “vacation in your living room!” approach may be a cliché at this point, but it’s also a rather fitting introduction to a body of work that did indeed transport me: Louis Malle’s documentaries, which we’ll be releasing as the second Eclipse series this Spring, and which have been somewhat under the radar over the past forty-odd years, certainly in comparison to his fiction films.

Unless he's lying about it, I don't see any reason to belive that Malle's documentaries won't be the second release.

Blog Post:
http://www.criterionco.com/blog/2007_01_01_archive.html#116867439469807160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Pretty decent deal going on at DVD Planet right now: F for Fake, The Honeymoon Killers, General Idi Amin Dada, and a hat for 64.95.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/detailsjanus.cfm?info=DVD001336

The gimmick here is that the topics of all of these movies have recently been addressed again in new movies (The Hoax, Lonely Hearts, and The Last King of Scotland, respectively). It works out to about 22 bucks a movie, and you get a hat, so if you're interested in at least two of the films it's probably worth it to you. I'm more or less getting it because I just saw F for Fake and loved it, and blind buying the other two.

Edit: It seems to be going in and out of stock, but it says it's in stock now and it let me place my order, so who knows. I also used the google checkout thing, so I ended up getting the package with 2 day shipping for 60 bucks.

FirstCongoWar fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 27, 2007

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I'm excited about Breathless, but nothing that's actually coming out in August. I hope the rest of the titles for that month are going to be redeemed by a spectacular release #400 or something. But really, there are so many good titles in the library that I don't own yet that I can spend August catching up of some of them.

Edit: I would buy like 4 copies of a 12 Angry Men release

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

cryme posted:

I doubt #400 is anything special. Criterion hasn't really set a precedent by releasing incredible titles for any of the previous 00's (Beastie Boys Anthology, Honeymoon Killers, and The Life Aquatic respectively). I like each of those releases enough, but they aren't mindblowingly amazing or incredible (though I do own all of them, but I think I'm going to sell The Honeymoon Killers).

Yeah, but I don't recall them deliberately withholding what those titles would be. It's probably because I wasn't paying that much attention at the time, though.

I'm sort of hoping for Berlin Alexanderplatz, but who knows. I don't think that would be an amazing release to that many people, but I am really anticipating it.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Hm. Don't really care about any of those releases enough to buy them, but I'll definitely give the Jarmusch films a rental. I'll probably look at the dance DVDs just for the hell of it.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

From the newsletter:

It's not often I can guess these, but this seems like it HAS to be The Ice Storm.

That was my first thought too, but the fact that I can guess it makes me suspect it's something different. I haven't picked up on a newsletter clue since the one for Breathless.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Out of the ones I've seen, the worst by far is Sweet Movie. There's just not a whole lot interesting about it, and all I can remember from when I watched it are the "shocking" scenes (big gold urinating penis).

There are a whole lot of movies in the collection that I think are pretty boring, but they're generally more forgettable than actually bad, like Kicking and Screaming and most of Rohmer's Moral Tales.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I got The Friends of Eddie Coyle in from Netflix, and it's definitely worth at least a rental. It's the kind of gangster movie that nobody really makes anymore, low-key, realistic, and gritty.

The film is very of its time, to the point that I can't imagine it being made any time other than the early 70's, so if you're into that era of crime/police film-making you should check Eddie Coyle out.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

The Lucas posted:

No one posted the cover for Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles yet so...

I have no idea what this movie is about, but this cover does a drat good job of making me want to see it.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Howard's End won the amazon contest.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Last month, we offered customers the unique opportunity to vote for the next Blu-ray release from the Criterion Collection. We're excited to announce that "Howard's End [Blu-ray]" is the winning title and will be released from the Criterion Collection later this year. Why wait? You can pre-order "Howard's End- Criterion Collection [Blu-ray]" from Amazon.com today.

[Blu-ray]

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Wow, I really thought they'd be in print longer than this. Glad I grabbed a copy a while back.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

RichterIX posted:

gently caress, anybody want to buy my copies of Yojimbo and Sanjuro? :)

I'm in this boat too. They already look so good on DVD, though...

who am I kidding my birthday is in march those are going on my shelf day 1

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I finally got to watch my copy of For All Mankind on Blu-Ray today. Space is pretty fuckin spectacular.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

8 1/2 came in on Blu today, and it is worth every penny. It's been forever since I've seen the DVD so I can't compare features (and there are websites that do that anyway) but if you like the movie at all and own a blu-ray player you owe it to yourself to pick it up.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

The Pierrot Blu-Ray is only 24 on Amazon so I went ahead and picked it up. I liked it enough to consider watching it again but since I don't trust Lionsgate to do basically anything correctly I might as well buy it.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Tanner 88 rules

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I forgot I even bought them, but it looks like Yojimbo/Sanjuro are shipping from Amazon today. Hopefully I'll have time to go through them on Monday.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Things I was surprised by today:

Criterion has only released 2 Godard films on blu, and they were cheaper to buy directly from Criterion than from Amazon.

edit: I guess Pierrot is out of print, that explains that.

FirstCongoWar fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 23, 2010

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

They paid licensing fees?

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I imagine they're doing it just because they have a long history with Wes Anderson.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I think these are all rentals at best, for me. Hopefully the eclipse set will show up on Watch Instantly.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Honestly it's probably cheaper to just buy the blu-ray off amazon and stick it in the old case. 25 dollar replacement discs are pretty ridiculous.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Sheldrake posted:

I loathe Beaton and am pretty indifferent towards Chaplin, so this saved me some cash.

What's it like to be dead inside?

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

The Lucas posted:

Pretty good Criterion sale at Deep Discount. Free shipping if you don't mind waiting 10 years

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-DVD-Blu-ray-Back-to-School-Sale

I picked up Stagecoach, didn't want to go too nuts on the blu-rays.

I'm getting to the point with Criterion where I don't know if I want to go through the back catalog to buy things I missed or hold out for any potential blu-ray rereleases.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Hmm. I don't think I like Fear and Loathing enough to re-buy it on blu. Maybe if they come up with some amazing special features.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

I'm just picking up The Thin Red Line this time. Everything else that's been coming out lately I've either picked up already (Seven Samurai), or don't want to blind buy (Hausu).

No need to go overboard, the blu-rays are still 20 bucks each, which isn't THAT cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

tickle monster posted:

I don't know what to tell you guys. I guess, go rewatch every film by Kurosawa, Ozu, and Mizoguchi, and Shindo and Kobayashi, for good measure, and then rewatch every American horror film made between 1940 and 1975, and then watch House again.

so what you're saying is that if you don't like House, you don't get it?