Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

Mike_V posted:

PS: vertov, I don't have platinum so I can't send IMs, but do you know of any popular culture conferences that would allow paper submissions?

I don't have platinum either, so I wouldn't be able to receive them.

There are a lot of conferences, and in general most are "open submission." Some schools also have workshops that are generally meant for their own students, but they sometimes are open to outsiders as well. To narrow things down, are you limited by travel? If so, what part of the country? Also, are you looking for something where most of the papers would be on film or a variety of media/other disciplines? You might want to ask your adviser or a professor your had if he or she knows of something that might be up your alley (assuming they know what you're interested in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

LaptopGun posted:

Little bit of bad news or perhaps prognostication. I seems Universal, at least according to Digital Bits with the 11/30 post http://digitalbits.com/#mytwocents , will be releasing the BluRay for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. So no Criterion. (I sort of remember the movie getting an HD DVD release) Thats sad news for anyone waiting on buying the Criterion DVD in hopes they'd release a BluRay (with all the extras). Worst case scenario that means Criterion will lose the license and the DVD will go OOP.

Universal had their own DVD of Fear and Loathing out before the Criterion was released, so it's possible that a Criterion Bluray might also be down the road in a few years. The logic of that model is that Universal can make money off of their own release for a year or two and then license it to a third party when sales drop off. Anchor Bay has done the same thing in the past with titles like The Man who Fell to Earth. I don't know how big the difference in licensing costs is for Bluray compared to DVD, but wasn't Fear and Loathing Criterion's biggest seller on standard DVD? I imagine that they would want to release that again if possible.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm more inclined to believe it has something to do with the Eclipse line. I'll have to read the cf.org speculation on why it might be Oshima.

edit: oh I get it... "O shi-" = "Oshima". Cute.

Haha, I got a good laugh out of your comment about Ray on cf.org.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

FitFortDanga posted:

I only wish it were true. I've only seen two Oshima films, but neither made me excited for more. Besides, already 6 out of 20 Eclipse series are Japanese.

At least it's not another Ozu set.

I really like Oshima's work but I'd also prefer to see some Ray available with decent image quality. According to the website of the Ray Center at UCSC the restorations for the major films (the ones Criterion or someone similar would want to release) are complete, so it must be either rights issues or a perceived lack of interest that is holding things up. I'd hate to think it's the latter. My impression was the Sony and Merchant Ivory jointly owned the previous restoration, but I don't know if anyone has the rights to the current one (by UCSC). I guess there's also the issue of so many of these films being funded by a multitude of organizations that can't cooperate on how to divvy up royalties and the like, so we might be out of luck until someone decides to take a risk and go ahead without honoring the (admittedly shaky) control over rights that people are claiming.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
On the subject of Oshima, take a look at his first film, Tomorrow's Sun. It's a promotional short, basically a trailer that instead of advertising a film advertises a bunch of young actors at Shochiku. I don't know if it was something that was shown in theatres or if it was a "demo" for him, but it does feature a lot of actors and actress who were employed by Shochiku, so I assume it must have had some kind of backing from the studio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFW9hMuBWeQ

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

FitFortDanga posted:

Apparently a Hollis Frampton set is in the works. I've been meaning to check out his work. All I know about him is:

* experimental filmmaker
* "Zorn's Lemma" is on the TSPDT 1000 list
* someone here didn't like him (PeacefulAnarchy, I think?)

A huge chunk of Frampton's work has been playing in Chicago over the past year and there was a just a three day conference at the UofC this past weekend that topped the whole thing off. I don't know if there is any relationship between that series and the Criterion business, although some of the films were recently restored so that might have been the kicking off point for both parties.

Frampton's most famous film is probablly Nostalgia, which is actually part of a larger film project, Hepax Legomena. You can find a lot of it on youtube. He seems really interested in trying to get the audience to "imagine" the film image/text. For example, another part of Hepax Legomena is two hundred some pages of a script that are shown one at a time, which the audience then reads and can mentally produce an image for. Nostalgia uses a similar concept by having a series of descriptions of photographs read over the image of the photograph, although the narration is always one image ahead of the film itself, so the viewer is left to anticipate what they're about to see (or otherwise read the image "against" the soundtrack).

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
As much as I like to bitch and moan about Criterion that is a pretty nice slate of films. It seems like the Brakhage set is mostly supplements, or does it include the films from the first volume as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I really like Youth of the Beast and Crazed Fruit. Neither is "Criterion-like," but I think they're both excellent films that don't get a lot of attention (even in relation to the other Nikkatsu action films Criterion has released, like Branded to Kill). Both have pretty strong transfers, although not as much in the way of special feature.

Youth of the Beast is one of my favorites because of a) Jo Shishido's performance in the lead role and b) the little twists that show up here and there, like the model airplanes in the one guy's apartment. It's not as out-there as some of Suzuki's other films, but I actually like that about it; Branded to Kill, for example, is too "exceptional" for my tastes. Maybe you have to watch a ton of Nikkatsu action to really appreciate that sort of thing, but you should be watching those films anyway! They're great.

Crazed Fruit has a great score and, for my money, is one of the best youth films of the fifties. Ishihara Yujiro launched his career because of this film, and I think it's deserved; he really captures that sense of "cool" that seems to go so well with the era. I'm not sure if any of his other films are available in the US, but he the most popular star in Japan throughout most of his career.

vertov fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 19, 2010