Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!

FitFortDanga posted:

#64: The Third Man (re-release)

Oh god I need this image framed and hanging on my wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

#397 - IVAN'S CHILDHOOD

Dear god, I want this for the cover alone.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

I have the re-released Seven Samurai, The Beastie Boys Anthology, and I inadvertantly stole the first disc of Fear & Loathing from Netflix.

Yeah, you should all feel SO OWNED.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

There are also situations like the 1923 Hunchback of Notre Dame where the source material sucks - all 35mm copies of the film are gone and they had to work from 16mm. So even though it's supposedly remastered and whatnot it's only going to look so good.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Criminal Minded posted:

Can't say I've ever heard of the guy, but I trust your judgment to the point that I'll certainly give the guy a look. I'm still waiting on:

A) Satyajit Ray
Seriously, I can't BELIEVE the Apu Trilogy hasn't been released yet. Those films are among the most beloved and respected in history amongst critics, but they're all long out-of-print in all formats, and have never received the deluxe extras treatment they deserve. They're so out-of-reach I had to wait months with Panther Panchali at the top of my netflix queue before I received it, loved it, and then that was followed up by the other two movies being deleted from their stock. So I now have essentially no way of seeing Aparajito and World of Apu. Is it a rights issue, or is Criterion just not interested for some crazy reason, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Probably the weakest Criterion I've watched was My Life as a Dog. It's not terrible or anything, it's just a completely by-the-numbers depressing european film about childhood. There's nothing it does that Bergman and several others have done much better.

And speaking of bad transfers, I just watched Richard III (I've been on a Shakespeare kick lately) and in a lot of spots it looks absolutely horrible, like it was restored from Super 8. Henry V and Hamlet both looked pretty great, so I don't know why this one turned out so badly.