Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redrobotcore
Nov 30, 2003

Cacator posted:

Two of my Criterions (The Vanishing and Sword of Doom) have no extras besides trailers, but I don't mind because the films are great on their own, and without Criterion I highly doubt that I'd have been able to see them.

This extends beyond just what Criterion has to offer. By proving that a target audience like theirs is a viable one, Criterion not only created a market for (arguably) important lesser-known films on DVD, but also encourages competition from other publishers. Having practically invented the notion of extra features on LaserDisc over a decade a go, Criterion has influenced the evolution of the home video experience tremendously.

As the saying goes, competition is good for everyone. I can't help but think that without the influence of Criterion's vision of the home video experince, other publishers like Universal, Warner Brothers or Fox might not feel so inclined give as much attention to classic films as we are lucky to see now with terrific discs like the recent Double Indemnity release.

edit: :fappery:

redrobotcore fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 15, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU