Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no

Forneus posted:

what's the packaging usually like on them?

I have the 3 Disc version of Seven Samurai - it is a cardboard sleeve(Kind of rustic/recycled in style), very well designed and looks beautiful on your shelves. If packaging is your thing, you're in for a treat! The set itself is magnificent - the restoration is great and it is the full length version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no

Rock Tomahawk posted:

Viola!
Cello!

Rock Tomahawk posted:

I've got the original Criterion, but I've been thinking about picking up the 1 disc re-release for the upgraded picture and the anamorphic widescreen. Since my tv sucks though, I can't justify it right now :(
If you can't see the immediate value, then I'd hold off. The non-anamorphic image quality is good.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no

vertov posted:

It looks like The Third Man is out of print. Are the planning a reissue of this, or did they just lose the rights?

I remember hearing a new version was coming out. It was supposedly around November time this year. Here's hoping.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
The Dazed and Confused transfer is very nice - rich and vibrant. A top tier Criterion if I do say so myself!

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
Fantastic news - Bottle Rocket is one of those films I have meant to watch, but never got round to. Criterion releasing it will force me to import it. I love the style that they went for with Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic; The extras are superb (In fact, the 'Max Fischer Players Present...' shorts are my favourite extra of all time)

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
Damnit - I have spaffed a load of cash on the following at DVD Planet :

Third Man
400 Blows
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Le Samourai
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Spirit of the Beehive
My Own Private Idaho
Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Days of Heaven
Les Enfants Terribles
Breathless
If...
La Jetee/Sans Soleil
Night and Fog

Worked out at $300 + Shipping to the UK (Ouch!). These are ones I have been meaning to pick up for a while - I am getting buyers regret on my Own Private Idaho now though - Was it really worth the upgrade on the normal R2 version?

Edit : Forgot to say thanks to those who posted the codes - I was waiting till this sale to buy them!

LordEvilElmo fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 9, 2007

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
loving awesome... Mishama - I have been waiting for so long for a decent release. Hope the Scheider voiceover is included.

EDIT : poo poo, I can't read. Scheider voiceover included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
Jamón, jamón perhaps? I'd love to see it get a decent release.