Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

FitFortDanga posted:

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs - Never seen any Naruse, but I'm curious. I swear I had this video out from the library at the some point, perhaps I imagined it. vertov, your comments are intriguing... weren't you hyping Naruse yourself some time ago? Again, maybe I imagined it.

Might've been SubG.

Or possibly the elitists on criterionforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Can't say I care much for that cover art. It's fairly busy and doesn't seem very cohesive. But now I sound like someone from cf.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

SubG posted:

To the best of my recollection, I have never pimped for Naruse in CineD. But I'm glad to be thought of in the same breath (thought of in breath? what the hell am I talking about?) as the elitists on criterionforum.

Heh, I didn't mean you were an elitist like some people over on cf, you were just the only other CineD'r that may have possibly seen a Naruse film, to my knowledge.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Slackerish posted:

Debating between:

Down by Law
George Washington
Contempt
Videodrome
That Obscure Object of Desire.

Videodrome is the only one of those I've seen.

To answer this question, the answer is Videodrome.

not biased

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Slackerish posted:

I have the original out-of-print version somewhere in my house, but I can't find it. I've only watched it once and I was kinda-sorta impressed, but I want to give it another go now that I'm a bigger Cronenberg fan. How are the extras?

Terrific. Cronenberg always gives fantastic commentaries, and the James Woods/Deborah Harry track is pretty good too. The booklet has some very good essays that will increase your appreciation for the movie (there is a lot to be gained by multiple viewings). The second disc has a great documentary on the awesome practical effects used in the movie, as well as uncut 'broadcasts' of the Samurai Dreams film as well as the videodrome 'transmissions'. The Cronenberg short is interesting, and the rountable disscussion and promotional materials are all worth a look. It's one of Criterion's best discs.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'd say it makes it obsolete. If the new release has better quality and is in far greater supply, what's the point in owning the old release? The only situation I could see the OOP version being desirable in is if there is a certain extra (like a good commentary) that was present on the OOP version that is not present in the new version.

This isn't likely, since Criterion owns the rights to almost all of their extras.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Slackerish posted:

Also, to vaguely divert, does anyone know if Critereon is planning to rerelease Dead Ringers?

No. There's a relatively new DVD of Dead Ringers available from Warner Brothers. Unfortunately, there is no Cronenberg commentary on the new DVD, but there is a Jeremy Irons commentary (I can't speak to it's quality as I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet). The picture quality, however, is much better than the Criterion (and anamorphic, too).

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
WOMAN IN THE DUNES!!!!

Oh man, I'm so excited about that one. I might get the boxset if the others are anywhere near as good as WITD.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I doubt #400 is anything special. Criterion hasn't really set a precedent by releasing incredible titles for any of the previous 00's (Beastie Boys Anthology, Honeymoon Killers, and The Life Aquatic respectively). I like each of those releases enough, but they aren't mindblowingly amazing or incredible (though I do own all of them, but I think I'm going to sell The Honeymoon Killers).

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

bmmello posted:

That would rock. Just ordered a few Criterions:

Fires on the Plain
Honeymoon Killers
Jules and Jim
Salesman
La Haine
Vengeance is Mine

Haven't seen any of them (yes, including J&J). I love every Truffaut I've seen, and love Tokyo Olympiad, the rest are pretty much blind-buys (though I've seen bits of Salesman in college and was quite impressed).

You'll probably regret the Honeymoon Killers. It's interesting, but not worth owning. Also, the audio is horrible for some reason.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
DeepDiscountDVD's 20% sale is going on now too. Use DVDTALK or USATODAY coupon codes.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I really wish they would start releasing some more obscure poo poo. Ideally at least one release per month should be something I've never (or only rarely) heard of.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
ahhhh Vampyr, MrBling will be pleased.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Black Narcissus on Blu-ray would make me extremely happy. By far my favorite Powell+Pressburger film, and one that would really benefit from extra resolution.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

FitFortDanga posted:

plus a rare 1982 interview in which Fuller interviews the canine star of the film

hahahaha

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
There is a list somewhere, but I don't remember where. I do remember that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is their bestseller by a fair margin.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
japones

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
There is a very real difference between region encoding and copy protection on the discs. And most labels use both.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
well hopefully it won't be Lancelot du Lac

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm real interested in what you guy have spent money on recently

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Please continue the derail, it's about as interesting as this thread has gotten in a long time. I'd prefer to read this back and forth over lists of what people bought in a loving sale.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Unmature posted:

I don't know any of these movies! Can someone tell me what's so great about them?

they suck don't waste your time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
there's more where that came from friendo